Gilmour Foamaster - Revisited

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personnaly, I use Meguires straight in the container, add a little water to allow it to **** up into the gun faster and go to town. It uses a lot, but that isn't the point. Getting a thick foam is the point. I've tried it straight and with more dilution, but I've found a good mix that will work until I finish off the the gallon jug. What I have left in the container goes into my wash bucket to be used with the mitt after the foam has done it's work.

I'm going to try Adam's soap as soon as I finish this off and see how it works. Washing the Viper is relaxing for me, so I do it quite often. In fact, it's getting a wash tomorrow due to getting splattered last weekend. As I've stated before for you garage queen types, check out Adams's Waterless Wash. I tried it last weekend and liked the results. Haven't heard from AJ yet though ... what do YOU think Junkman? I've SEEN the video, but I want to know if you REALLY use it on your Vette.

Last edited:

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After reading this thread I tried straight Meguires Gold in my Foamaster II today. It worked very well, made LOTS of suds on the second to highest setting, and only used about an ounce of soap. The only thing I don't like about this method is the extra clean up. Thanks for the tip ViperJon!

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very soap dependant obviously.
Different soaps flow better and can be used straight, and some flow better when diluted.
Not to shill for the Chemical Guys soap I linked to above, but it's cheap and makes tons of soap.
It specifically mentions foam gun usage as well as opposed to others that do not, maybe makes a difference?

It's all good bros.....
Junkman - Don't make me ride down from Long Island to Doylestown with my gear...LOL :drive: :drive:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personnaly, I use Meguires straight in the container, add a little water to allow it to **** up into the gun faster and go to town. It uses a lot, but that isn't the point. Getting a thick foam is the point. I've tried it straight and with more dilution, but I've found a good mix that will work until I finish off the the gallon jug. What I have left in the container goes into my wash bucket to be used with the mitt after the foam has done it's work.

I'm going to try Adam's soap as soon as I finish this off and see how it works. Washing the Viper is relaxing for me, so I do it quite often. In fact, it's getting a wash tomorrow due to getting splattered last weekend. As I've stated before for you garage queen types, check out Adams's Waterless Wash. I tried it last weekend and liked the results. Haven't heard from AJ yet though ... what do YOU think Junkman? I've SEEN the video, but I want to know if you REALLY use it on your Vette.

If you have seen my Waterless Wash videos, then you should know that not only do I use it on my Vette, I also use it a lot differently than most people use a waterless wash product. I use it way more than Detail Spray because I am usually cleaning something off the car when I use it and it is cheaper than Detail Spray. I use the Detail Spray as more of a final step because it has gloss agents in it.

I highly recommend the Waterless Wash as long as you use it the way I do in my videos.

It's all good bros.....
Junkman - Don't make me ride down from Long Island to Doylestown with my gear...LOL :drive: :drive:

Taken from an episode of The Sopranos, "Come heavy or don't come at all!" :rolaugh: :2tu:

Golfer15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just used my Gilmour with Meguires the way Junkman uses his, 3/4 full of water and 2 oz of soap (Patron tequila size ounce), once I got the setting right, she covered my DD (300C) like a heavy snowfall. And once I got the setting right, it sucked up that liquid fast. Used the whole gallon. Next wash will try it the other way.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just used my Gilmour with Meguires the way Junkman uses his, 3/4 full of water and 2 oz of soap (Patron tequila size ounce), once I got the setting right, she covered my DD (300C) like a heavy snowfall. And once I got the setting right, it sucked up that liquid fast. Used the whole gallon. Next wash will try it the other way.

You got a gallon foam gun? :omg:

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the foam gun a few months back and was very disappointed with the results by following the 3/4 water and 1/4 soap. Sorry Junkman, your foam gun or soap must be different because I went with only soap yesterday and it worked great. The information I have gotten from you has been priceless and my Viper thanks you.

Now the only question is can I leave the soap in the foam gun until I use it again or will that mess up the foam gun? :dunno:

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now the only question is can I leave the soap in the foam gun until I use it again or will that mess up the foam gun?
Reading the above replies, it looks like they say don't leave the soap in the gun. It will gum up and clog.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I just open the shampoo bottle up and dump it on the car--leave it on the car overnight--then drive it fast the next morning--Dave

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the foam gun a few months back and was very disappointed with the results by following the 3/4 water and 1/4 soap. Sorry Junkman, your foam gun or soap must be different because I went with only soap yesterday and it worked great. The information I have gotten from you has been priceless and my Viper thanks you.

Now the only question is can I leave the soap in the foam gun until I use it again or will that mess up the foam gun? :dunno:

Yes, there are multiple version of the foam gun out there so the model may matter. That I do not doubt. :cool:

I just open the shampoo bottle up and dump it on the car--leave it on the car overnight--then drive it fast the next morning--Dave

lol!

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always thought that a big foamy lather would clean better. But a couple of years ago we bought a new washing machine and it requires a special soap that has low suds. It works great, better than anything else I've had before.

Soooo do big thick suds really matter?....I just washed one of our trucks tonight using the Ortho spray dispencer method, nice sudsy soapy water to lubricate and soak down the whole truck. Not the thick shave cream result I think we all want or think we need. Still used the two bucket method to rinse off the brush and keep scratching to a minimum.

Do big suds really clean better or is it the soapy water that does the cleaning and lubricates the surface? I always thought the suds would magically lift away the film of dirt and grime, but nothing works without agitation from a brush or wash mit in my experience.

For our trucks I use approximately 4 oz of Meguiars Ultimate wash&wax and fill up the 32 oz jug. Then set the dispenser to 6 oz on the dial. Thats enough to spray down the whole truck about two times with a mixture of water and suds that seems to work perfect for washing the vehicle.

Cheers,
George

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The key to the suds is that they contain enough soap to break up the matted on dirt but also enough water to help the suds work. My foam guns can all be adjusted on the fly so tweaking that mixture is simple. Now comparing this to washing clothing is somewhat faulty because the amount of water that is needed to clean soap out of clothing is like 10:1. Your car is not going to require that much water to get it clean (or rinsed clean).

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
..... a new washing machine and it requires a special soap that has low suds. It works great, better than anything else I've had before.......

soaps have different sudsing formulas depending on how the intended washed item is to be rinsed - once, twice, alot of water, little water - old machines used a lot of water so the suds would be diluted and go down the drain, not so with the new water efficient machines. this is why dish washing liquid suds a lot, but dishwasher soap does not.

:drive:

Last edited:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
soaps have different sudsing formulas depending on how the intended washed item is to be rinsed - once, twice, alot of water, little water - old machines used a lot of water so the suds would be diluted and go down the drain, not so with the new water efficient machined. this is why dish washing liquid suds a lot, but dishwasher soap does not.

:drive:

Good example. :)

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The key to the suds is that they contain enough soap to break up the matted on dirt but also enough water to help the suds work.

The thick soapy suds are cool, but not necessary. What you do want as AJ said is for the bond to be broken between dirt and car. There should be enough soap to lubricate the car so it is slippery and so that you can visibly see where has been cleaned.

Also, the hardness of the water will have an impact on the amount of sudsing you get ... the harder the water, the less sudsing you get. A water softener will help with this ... CR Spotless comes highly recommended from some, Griots has a few as well I believe