good CHEAP Oil catch cans on ebay!!!

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hmm..I have a catch can about the same as moroso's and it was with an breather filter and less...why is shipping soo much?

Vintage Racer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Consider the fact that those are threaded fittings on the catch can. Almost certain to vibrate loose over time. If you look at racing catch cans you will notice that the fittings are welded on to avoid just this problem. Disconnected oil hoses spewing oil always happen at the worst time.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The catch cans are very low pressure systems... just collects blowby... so welded connections are unnecessary for this application IMO.

I have a Moroso can with threaded fittings and no problems.

Mine has a breather also but I don't see where this is necessary.

ChicagoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The moroso's don't have two stem's like this one, that's why they have the breather. They're simply meant to be puke cans. This design has two stems because it's supposed to be fed back to the oil system, via the pan or through a sump setup. I'm guessing you could put a smaller (bike) breather over the outlet side with no problems.

~Matt~

OP
OP
E

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the PCV valve lets air from the engine escape, some of this air has small mounts of oil in it, and even more under hard braking where the oil sloshes to the front of the motor and spashes upward into the front of the heads. the catch can collects the oil and lets the air go back into the intake free of oil which can damage your engine and/or fowl your plugs.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way I connected my Moroso can with the breather top is by plugging the air filter box hole (with a rubber cap) where the PCV tubing connects to it on the driver's side (at least on Gen II).

Then I removed the PCV tubing that connects the two outlets from the valve covers (and runs to the air filter box) and reverse it so that the tubing that was running to the air filter box is now sticking out on the passenger's side.

I then removed that short piece of hose (that connected to the air filter box) from the rest of the PCV tubing and connected a (1/2" I think) rubber hose to it long enough to route it along the driver outside wall of the engine bay to the can which I attached to the AC airbox with a bracket.
You can get fancy braided line if you want.

In this way, oil which is regurgitated out of the valve covers is routed to the "puke can" instead of into the filter box (where it fouls up the filters and drips out) and ultimately back into the intake and burned with the gas and making black soot all over the rear fascia.

The can is usually full after a track weekend (half quart?).

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The can with the two inlet/outlets would require you to tap into the oil pan which I didn't want to do... no big deal to empty the can which has a drain plug on the bottom of it.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on guys. Let's not be putting "JDM" parts on our Vipers. :shocked:

Plus, those of you with smart visual emissions inspections (if there is such a thing) could get dinged for a catch can.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be no big deal to reverse the tubing again and reconnect it back to the filter box come inspection time ;)

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is necessary on forced induction over 5 psi I am finding out! Oil is coming out of my dipstick and I have two breathers on my valve covers. I will probably make my own however out of 304 stainless rather than AL as the stainless will never tarnish and it will match my tubing and **** tank.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is necessary on forced induction over 5 psi I am finding out! Oil is coming out of my dipstick and I have two breathers on my valve covers. I will probably make my own however out of 304 stainless rather than AL as the stainless will never tarnish and it will match my tubing and **** tank.

If I buy the pukecan now, then I'll have to get it TT'd with you Dan.... :D

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a photo of mine.
4168Pictures_013-med.jpg

OP
OP
E

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I received my catch can today, VERY nice and heavy duty! it it pretty big, so i wil be mounting it in place of my washer fluid bottle.

I NEVER use the washer fluid anyway!

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consider the fact that those are threaded fittings on the catch can. Almost certain to vibrate loose over time. If you look at racing catch cans you will notice that the fittings are welded on to avoid just this problem. Disconnected oil hoses spewing oil always happen at the worst time.

Hmmm...I suppose I have to weld my oil drain plug then.
Just kidding ;)
Mine arrived and I have to comment on how HEAVY this mother is. Not sure why it has to be, given weight being the root of all automotive evil. It is nicely made, although a stopcock or valve of some kind would be more useful than the drain plug. This is gonna make a mess at emptying time, since the plug is on the side. By the way, the logo would be facing the mounting wall the way I see it.

OP
OP
E

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i went to autrozone and got a hose ****** and a piece of tube a valve so draining it will be MUCH easier, not to mention its on the side of the car so it'll be easy to acess.

cop magnet, where did you mount yours?

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric,
Haven't mounted it yet, just opened it up last night and dry fitted everything together. Did you put the valve at the of the hose, then, or at the drain plug?

OP
OP
E

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, ****** fitting IN the can, then a 6" piece of hose, and the a [******] valve to be able to put a coffee can under it and open it up.

OP
OP
E

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i'll take a pic of my install when its done, but basically i removed the windshield washer fluid bottle, drilled a couple holes and mounted it there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery