Good News, Bad News

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am starting to get the impression that the people wanting TC are non- owners, non racers and vette owners? In the snow when the tires spin and the TC locks them up how long would your clutch last with the TC locking up the rear ?

Cruise control - Driving my F150 in the rain I was going up a hill and hit a little water on the road, the cruise control gave full throttle because I was slowing down and I nearly slid off a cliff! Even a puny 5L in a 5000# truck can kill you with cruise control. That's why it doesn't come in a viper.

LOL, I don't want to be killed by a computer!

Ted
Totally agree, and it just hurts my head to figure out why they just don't buy a racelogic system and call it a day, and quit whining like a spoiled little kid here? Just makes no sense. :dunno:

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally agree, and it just hurts my head to figure out why they just don't buy a racelogic system and call it a day, and quit whining like a spoiled little kid here? Just makes no sense. :dunno:

I was going to offer up the same type of Post. If a person really wants TC then purchase & install the Racelogic System. Simple...

My Opinion Only....I think what happens is a person purchases this very special car. Some want to start doing Upgrades whether it is HP or Suspension, they still want it. Some even want to keep their Vipers Stock...We get excited, we make a poor judgment call no matter how small & then BAM...our car is sideways & possibly wrecked.

When you pick up your Viper...find a local track with a SKID PAD, get your car Wet & Dirty, then do a Driver's Education Course...You will appreciate it in the end. It won't keep you from making a poor judgement call, but it just might help you out of a bad situation...

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good point. soon as i get a car i try to get it sideways in a open parking lot. especially in the rain. it gives me a good idea what its gonna do and how to react to it.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to offer up the same type of Post. If a person really wants TC then purchase & install the Racelogic System. Simple...

My Opinion Only....I think what happens is a person purchases this very special car. Some want to start doing Upgrades whether it is HP or Suspension, they still want it. Some even want to keep their Vipers Stock...We get excited, we make a poor judgment call no matter how small & then BAM...our car is sideways & possibly wrecked.

When you pick up your Viper...find a local track with a SKID PAD, get your car Wet & Dirty, then do a Driver's Education Course...You will appreciate it in the end. It won't keep you from making a poor judgement call, but it just might help you out of a bad situation...

Well said, it amazes me the number of folks that own these cars that have had little or no driver training other than their high school drivers ed. We all have moments of poor judgement....it is best to be prepared for that moment

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've been snakebit! I did twice but was far luckier than you. My idea of traction control is that the car straightens up after lifting off the throttle once the car starts to get sideways. I got this when I switched the differential to a Quaiffe setup. I still make sure the runcraps are warm before horsing around - 10 minutes of smooth driving first and no horsing around if weather is colder than 60 F. Another Viperspin tip: If you do start going around and not able to straighten up, hit the brakes to arrest the spin but watch the timing so that you don't stop where you don't want to be! The Quaiffe setup is expensive but worth it.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, all kinds of us out there, eh? And you thought you were plumcrazy! I don't like the idea of being stuck if I get a flat. I don't have a cellphone (even then, depending where you are, you have to wait for help) and I dont want to apply goop inside the tire and screw up the sensors. Perhaps I'll look at the 08 setup more closely and change my mind. I think a Quaiffe is more valuable for those with runcraps because they need it more!

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Runcraps are bad but they aren't THAT bad and they don't cause accidents. I autocrossed the **** out of mine. I instantly lose all respect when people start pointing to the car as the cause of the accident.

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said RTTTTed, both on traction control and cruise control. For me, simply, I bought a viper because it is a viper. Pure, plain and simple explanation! As to the original post, you have to keep the car under control and respect both its power and your own driver skills.:eater:

PET SNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
kenny, you want to beat me up???? LOL, where? when? come to chicago often,
***** !!!

Oh you mean on line ***..........

p.s kenny better stay on line..... DID YA EVER HEAR THE STORY ABOUT THE WRONG GUY!! IM HIM ....***** !!!!!

EVERYONE ELSE SORRY...BUT THERE'S ALWAY'S A PUNK ***** IN THE CROWD....ONEDAY I WANNA BE LIKE KENNY.....

PETSNAKE.............

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well this is my 2nd viper srt, I've ownd a lambo diablo, lambo murci, 2 ferrari 360s, about 10 hummers, porsches, Cool cars, Exotic cars, and hummer h2 info is my car collection page if you don't belive me. I have never wrecked ANY of them. None. So I am definately a Viper owner.

Why do I believe in traction control? Because its good for the masses. We see threads on here every week on people wrecking cars. You guys say install aftermarket TC. The serious problem with that is most poeple think "they don't need it" or "thats not manly for our viper" until AFTER they have wrecked!!!

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are the highest horsepower cars EVER BUILT WORLDWIDE for less than $500,000 w/out traction and/or stability control. Viper is the perfect name for these cars, b/c they can be unpredictable to the somewhat novice driver and they can strike (spin, fishtail, etc) totally w/out warning....w/ devastating results.

But actually the cars do give you warning. It simply takes many hours in the seat to pick up these warnings. Your car will behave differently under different circumstance. I can literally feel the slightest reduction in grip in just about any situation. But I drive my car every single sunny day when I have time, and I drive her rather spiritedly. There are situations I got myself into during the first year I owned her that I never get into now...cuz just like my wife, I can tell when she is "moody" (cold tires, cold road, cold-much-higher-hp engine) which will change her handling characteristics. Up here in CT I have had my tires break loose in 3rd gear at over 80 mph....very unnerving.

No traction control or stability control is needed. Owners simply need to understand that these are street legal race cars, and they behave very much that way.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I had my 98 Roe sc'd GTS (only 598rwhp/644rwtq) that car would spin the runcraps at any speed, any of the first 4 gears, under 100mph.

My 01 has 720rwhp and gets great traction in 4th, hooks second about 75mph and only fishtails a few hundred feet into 3rd. It has new PS1s and the acceleration ***** the eyeballs back into your head.

The runcraps weren't the reason for crashing my 98, they were only part of the reason I started the hydroplaning.

I'll never runcraps again. I'm buying PS2s this spring, installed 14" lightweight brakes to try and stay out of crash situations. Unfortuntely, any car can hydroplane so now I slow down for wet roads - UNDER the speed limit is probably the best protection from that type of accident.

I'm in favor of TC to let other people drive my car though. If it had brakes stopping the tires from spinning it would make the car safer although slower. Not for me, but for others, like the wife

Ted

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll bet one rear tire was on the dew moist white stripe and the other got traction and spun it towards the white stripe side. Sorry to hear about it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4