Good OBDII scan tool?

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a decent OBDII scan tool that will acquiring engine data for help in closed loop mapping? Specifically ST and LT fuel trim. I have one right now (ODB Link SX) but the software associated with it (OBDWiz) will only appear to show very basic data. Or can I use more advanced OBD software with the same scan tool? Thanks in advance.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is your goal, that will define what you want to use. If you cannot turn off the long term fuel trim, closed loop mapping doesn't give you too much data.

OP
OP
V

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What is your goal, that will define what you want to use. If you cannot turn off the long term fuel trim, closed loop mapping doesn't give you too much data.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using a 'piggy-back' tuning tool (Split Second FTC1) and need to know what the amount of adaptation in closed loop (i.e., ST + LT fuel trim). With the intention of minimising that using the fuel mapping capabilities of the FTC1.

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on everything I've looked into for the DCX stuff, I'll be picking up a full kit (ScanXL and OBDlink) from Palmer Performance for my tuning needs.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I'm using a 'piggy-back' tuning tool (Split Second FTC1) and need to know what the amount of adaptation in closed loop (i.e., ST + LT fuel trim). With the intention of minimising that using the fuel mapping capabilities of the FTC1.

IMHO you can not tune when LTFT is part of the data, the LTFT introduces error in what you want to accomplish, it will change with no linkage to the a/f at a given time/load condition, You have to turn off the LTFT and that would require a PCM software like SCT. You can use Palmer Engineering OBD software, that is a PC based. It allows you to generate a table of the A/f based upon different parameters. Ease is another PC based program that can log PIDS.

OP
OP
V

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
IMHO you can not tune when LTFT is part of the data, the LTFT introduces error in what you want to accomplish, it will change with no linkage to the a/f at a given time/load condition, You have to turn off the LTFT and that would require a PCM software like SCT. You can use Palmer Engineering OBD software, that is a PC based. It allows you to generate a table of the A/f based upon different parameters. Ease is another PC based program that can log PIDS.

Yes, I'm getting the feeling that LTFT is a pain in the ass for a tuned car! Does it have any advantage in a modified car when you are modifying the map 'manually'?

I have an SCT hand-controller for flashing maps onto the ECU - can I flash on a 'map' that just turns the LTFT off?

OP
OP
V

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OTC Nemysis my friend.

Thanks for the info.

Given my requirements for the tool, I'm wondering if this is a bit of overkill though? Looking on eBay, you're talking at least $600 for one. What is the actual increased functionality of this tool compared to one of, say, about $150 (plugs directly into lap-top)?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I'm getting the feeling that LTFT is a pain in the ass for a tuned car! Does it have any advantage in a modified car when you are modifying the map 'manually'?

I have an SCT hand-controller for flashing maps onto the ECU - can I flash on a 'map' that just turns the LTFT off?

It is more important for a modified car, if you do not fix the base map (a/f versus load and rpm) you are always fighting large LTFT's and STFT's when you are in closed loop. Wot tuning is easy compared closed loop partial throttle tuning. THe SCT program can be used to turn off the LTFT. You will also want to extend the rpm and throttle range for closed loop. If you do not have the software you will need a SCT tuner to help you.