Good Street tire?

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have a stock 03, with wheels and tires. Going to have my wheels chromed and figure might be a good time to change out the run flats. What is a "good" tire to put on for the street.

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would get the PS2. I just bought a set of Kumho V700 and they have no tread at all on them!! If I did not know they were new I would have thought they were used. There's about 3 times less tread than the PS2 as I had a new rear PS2 in the shop. Wish I went with the PS2 but really wanted a softer tire for my setup. Will be interesting to see how sticky these V700 are. Like above call JonB!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am just now putting miles on my new Nitto NT05 tires and I like them a lot so far. After them being like grease for a few miles due to some sort of sticky mold release compound, and the mounter putting 45 psi in the them, they are now "broken in" and with 30 psi are VERY grippy (200 wear rating). I think they are about half the cost of PS2s. Mine were $1,330 mounted & balanced.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would get the PS2. I just bought a set of Kumho V700 and they have no tread at all on them!! If I did not know they were new I would have thought they were used. There's about 3 times less tread than the PS2 as I had a new rear PS2 in the shop. Wish I went with the PS2 but really wanted a softer tire for my setup. Will be interesting to see how sticky these V700 are. Like above call JonB!

????? I think an error has been made somewhere.. V-700 (below) are FULLY TREADED with 6/32 of full-face sticky rubber. And they dont come in SRT Sizes as he asked. The PS2 comes with 9/32.
You must be registered for see images

Here is the V-710 below:

Last edited:

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have a stock 03, with wheels and tires. Going to have my wheels chromed and figure might be a good time to change out the run flats. What is a "good" tire to put on for the street.

I reccomend NITTO INVOs, they are great. Warm up quickly, n haven't let me down yet. Been to the stip and ran 1.673 60ft times at over 6500ft altitude. Trust me they hook and grip. Plus you can get them and an unbeatable deal at your local tire stores like I did. I went to Discount Tire as did several of my buds and got em way less than anywhere els. I got em mounted n balance, new stems, lifetime balancing and no questions asked free replacements if ever damaged. Can't beat that with a stick... No shipping cost, no having to load them up with your wheels/bother some one to haul them down to the local tire shop for you to get them mounted.
They also replaced a set of tires on one of my vehicles I just plain didn't like and wasn't completely happy with, no problem as long as its done with in 30 days. I think I was right at 30 days :D ... They gave me full value back and I just paid the diff to an upgraded set. Good Luck...

Last edited:

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
????? I think an error has been made somewhere.. V-700 (below) are FULLY TREADED with 6/32 of full-face sticky rubber. The PS2 comes with 9/32.

Here is the V-710 below:

No worries Jon I got the correct tires. Just saying that if you are expecting to get a tire with a lot of tread then you need to get the PS2. I had three different people ask me why I was putting on tires with less tread than the tires that were on my care. ha Told them I wanted traction and did not care about how long they last.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great info there,thanks !

to me, thats the best way to compare. lower # = less life but more sticky

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Second on all your reasoning, but note that the newer NT05 is stickier than the Invo. Tread pattern is not as "cool" looking and wet performance is listed as worse, but stickier compound.

Great info sir, but NO wet weather driving for my 96' if I can help it and deff no spirited wet weather driving either. :)

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Second on all your reasoning, but note that the newer NT05 is stickier than the Invo. Tread pattern is not as "cool" looking and wet performance is listed as worse, but stickier compound.

The nt05 is worse in the rain then the Invo? Are they both bad in the rain vs, Mich?

I don't "plan" trips in the rain but living in Ohio you never know, Plus planning a trip to the gap in normal rainy season.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The nt05 is worse in the rain then the Invo? Are they both bad in the rain vs, Mich?

I don't "plan" trips in the rain but living in Ohio you never know, Plus planning a trip to the gap in normal rainy season.
Check out nittotire.com - the site has a graphic rating of each tire so you can compare the traits. For example the Invo is rated as quieter than the NT05 (not a big deal with a full exhaust on a Viper!).

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard the BF Goodrich G Force T/A KDWs are pretty good... I got a great price on them too...

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard the BF Goodrich G Force T/A KDWs are pretty good... I got a great price on them too...

Once you mount them post some pics from behind. I say those look mean! Always wanted to get those.

korina

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The KDWs are an excellent tire for the price for cool looking street tires. I don't know if they have sizes for a Viper but I've used them on a few cars and they work great.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once you mount them post some pics from behind. I say those look mean! Always wanted to get those.

I had them. They have about 5" of flat rubber between the tread in the middle. The ones they show are only 8" wide. The tread depth is also less than it appears in the picture. They don't last. I had a flat with about 2500 miles on them and the repair shop refused to fix and remount it as it was below allowable tread depth.
Also traction was not as good as I expected. Grabbed 3rd gear at 75mph and broke traction. Have PS2's now and can only break them loose in 2 gears on the same stretch. Ran PS2's on the track in Calgary last summer and they corner really nice.

PS2's all the way:2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Kumho V710 = 30
Hoosier R6/A6 = 40
Kumho V700 = 50
Pilot Sport Cup = 80
Toyo R888 = 100
Nitto NT05 = 200
PS2 = 220
Nitto Invo = 260

PS add the Kumho XS in there at 130 ?

Remember: The softer the compund, the quicker it degrades (hardens) after heat cycles. Soft rubber = + grip, but less endurance.

So you see, the Nitto Invos just, well, um .....LOOK stickier! So be careful where you get your advice?

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The KDWs are an excellent tire for the price for cool looking street tires. I don't know if they have sizes for a Viper but I've used them on a few cars and they work great.

Their only claim to fame for Vipers is CHEEP. Definitely not a great handling tire, but ANYTHING is better than old, hard, hockey pucks. read HSSSSSSS above.
If they fit the budget, and you need tires......try to spend a tad more.

Last edited:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love PS2's, they are just a great tire on the street, handle well in the rain and are good on the track.....welllll after a few laps.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
He was asking for "18-19 SRT good street tires".... so posting THIS BFG 18" radial tire tire photo as an answer is N/A anyway. The Size Matters

And drag-radials dont corner worth a a dammmm..can be downright squirrely.

Last edited: