GoPro Help

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up a GoPro Hero 2 and did some filming on curvey mountain roads. The playback quality is less than I expected. I was shooting at 1080p 30 frames/sec. Someone suggested a slower / lower quality speed whould be better. Any suggestions? Thanks

DanielR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can you elaborate regarding specific quality issues?

Is the quality not good or the playback is not smooth?

Where was the camera mounted?

What settings were you shooting with?

I usually use 720p at 60 fps. It gives me a wide field of view and smooth video because of the higher frame rate.

Last edited:

am.mscl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just checking but you do have the correct speed memory card for that speed of filming?

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be sure the case is clean. The lens area on mine has gotten hit with bugs and messed up the look of the video.

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done many takes at 1080p and it's always good. Second the SD card speed. Need a high speed one to capture all frames. The 720x60fps setting is great if you want to do slow-mo on your final edits.

OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the fast replies. OK, the card is a class 10, 16 gb, 45 mb/sec "Extreme' by Scandisk. It's the card that GoPro reccomends but I got it for half on Amazon. Case is new and clear and so is lense.

The image seems grainy and gets worse with speed. Let me see if this YouTube video will load. Never posted a video before. Maybe someone can tell me when I post YouTube videos to Facebook why people cannot watch them on cell phones. That's my next issue.

Here's the video: http://youtu.be/Rx0qKLdxv8A or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx0qKLdxv8A

Thanks again for the help.
Sal

OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also I gouldn't edit anything with the GoPro software so I used Microsoft Movie Maker which was easire but still hossible to work with. Going back just now the raw footage looks better than the final product. Maybe the software had something to do with the poor quality.

DanielR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's difficult to tell from the youtube video because the file you uploaded appears to be a wmv. This means that the video was converted and compressed not once, but twice. Once going to wmv and twice going to flash/youtube. Each time loses quality. Can you upload the original video file or shoot a short representative clip if the original is too large?

OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow I didn't realize all of that. What format should I use? I'm uploading some of the original footage to YouTube and we'll see how it turns out. I think I converted it with the GoPro software thinking that I needed to do that. Forgive my ignorance when it come to videoing. This was my first attempt. Any suggestions of a good editing software?

Thanks

Got to leave but back later.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part of the problem is you let youtube "fix" the stabilization on the video. I make that mistake once and couldn't ever get it to "undo", so I had to delete the clip and re-upload it.
I use the 960-48 setting on on my videos and edit them with imovie. I have NO idea if this is the best set-up or not, but I've been happy enough with the way they've turned out.

OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll try one unedited by YT.

Part of the problem is you let youtube "fix" the stabilization on the video. I make that mistake once and couldn't ever get it to "undo", so I had to delete the clip and re-upload it.
I use the 960-48 setting on on my videos and edit them with imovie. I have NO idea if this is the best set-up or not, but I've been happy enough with the way they've turned out.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking at the first footage you put up, it maxes out at 480p which is not a high def resolution. That makes me think that you did not edit in HD, so it would be the project you were working with, not the footage. As far as what file format to save to, someone said that wmv was an issue but for you, it shouldn't be. I've directed commercials that were delivered to the network in WMV and they will work fine if done correctly. That said, goPros will get very grainy in low light and don't have a lot of latitude in their exposure. If there is too much of a range between the light and dark in the image, you will blow out the whites, block up the darks, or both. You have to realize that it just isn't a high quality camera, but has it's time and place. I have used them in places that a movie camera would not fit and with proper exposure, been able to use the footage in a movie. Another thing you have to watch out for with the goPros is the jelly image that comes with shutter roll. This is really a weak point with cameras that are sold as a means to record action. Shutter roll in digital cameras is what happens when the frame is not recorded all together but pixel by pixel, line by line. This means that the entire exposure of the frame happens over a length of time, not all at once. While the frame rate may very well be a 30th of a second (for a goPro, not typical of a film camera which is 1/24th) and the exposure may be considered something like 1/60th, each frame may take closer to 1/30th to expose, section by section. That means while something is moving quickly through frame, it will not be in the same place while each individual part of the frame is captured, making the image look like it wobbles like jelly.

OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I guess my first mistake was using the GoPro 'CineForm Studio' software to open the raw footage and convert it which I thought was necessary. The more I read about it it seems to be used for the 3D movie's and not the standard videos. I wish I still had the original raw footage so that I could try it again but I've formatted the card. Next time I'll use different software. What file formats should I be using for YouTube and Facebook type postings?

Thank you

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not a youtube expert as far as getting the best image with their encoding. It used to be very picky about how things were encoded and there would be massive color shifts with certain formats, but that seems to have been mostly fixed, or at least passable for what it is. I'm guessing that as long as you upload something in 720 or 1080, you will be happy enough with what you see on youtube. That said, I stay away from quicktime a lot of the time now, depending on what I am doing. Apple with their wonderful out of the box thinking refused to use the same gamma as NTSC and PC when they developed their systems. This has resulted in occasional gamma shifts that can happen throughout the pipeline, depending on your systems, software requiring stupid work-arounds that I don't want to deal with any more. Another thing to note is that if you use H.264 encoding, you will lose saturation if you have very saturated source material. It seems to be optimized for live action, so quite often as long as the colors aren't too intense, you will be ok, but dealing with CG images and H.264 seems to result in a very definite loss of color saturation that can be very noticeable. Anyway, I'll just direct you to what youtube says to do for uploading.

advanced: http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/static.py?hl=en&guide=1728585&topic=1728573&page=guide.cs

i
Movie, Final Cut, Quicktime Pro (apple stuff): http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/static.py?hl=en&guide=1728585&topic=1728570&page=guide.cs

W
indows movie maker: http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/static.py?hl=en&topic=1728571&guide=1728585&page=guide.cs

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang