Got a ticket with the V1

JohnNad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was coming around a bend in a 50mph rd. Occasionally CHP will be there and my V1 will ID the car before I can see it.
This time, I came around the bend, SAW THE CHP, slammed the brakes, then the V1 decided to go off.
It's about 5 years old but the web site claims no new products coming soon. There is a new "POP" feature which I didn't understand.
What is that and would that have saved me?
Also, Valentine used to make a claim hat they would pay tickets received while using this product. Has anyone experienced this before?

OP
OP
J

JohnNad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is an instant on different that a laser?
When I have detced a laser in the past the V1 would give 1 short noise that sounded like an error. This time when the V1 went off it was the same alert I get everytime from a noraml radar.

Still what does the new POP feauture do?

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cop likely had his unit turned off until you both saw each other. When you hit the brakes, he turned on his radar unit. You were likely sppeding when your V1 sounded which would have been at the exact same moment that he rec'd the radar signal showing your speed.

Instant on is exactly that. It's off (detector silent) until the exact moment he turns it on to detect your speed.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
not sure on the pop.
POP is tiny micro-pulse that the radar sends out when it's hybernating. It basically tells the computer that a car is coming up that's speeding and allows the radar to active at the last possible second. Its small and fast so regular detectors - especially older V1s - cannot detect them. POP is so random that its not allowed to be used against you in court, though I know cops still try in an attempt to get you to confess before trial.

You can update your V1 to detect these waves which helps against roaming instant on, but its really not worth the effort unless you live in the desert.

but instant on IS different than laser.
Instant on is traditional radar that the officer can activate at will (as opposed to just leaving on and watching the screen.) Basically the cops sits in radar-darkeness and watched you approch - if you 'look' like your speeding he waits until you're about 100ft away and flips the switch - you won't be able to react fast enough to escape.

Laser is laser - you're only hope of catching this one is that someone directly ahead of you gets tagged first.

OP
OP
J

JohnNad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i read up on this on other forums and it looks now that is exactly what happened to me. Thanks for the info guys, now what can we do to resolve this, other than slow down?

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RADAR ***** :mad: JUST ANOTHER WAY TO COLLECT TAX MONEY.

everytime i go through a radar trap i look at the cops with disgust and just
shake my head.

go to court at least to get the speed down. speaking of court you ever see when
you go into traffric court how the judge and police just seem to laugh at the
people givinmg their stories. ( I HATE THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!! )

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RADAR ***** :mad: JUST ANOTHER WAY TO COLLECT TAX MONEY.

everytime i go through a radar trap i look at the cops with disgust and just
shake my head.

go to court at least to get the speed down. speaking of court you ever see when
you go into traffric court how the judge and police just seem to laugh at the
people givinmg their stories. ( I HATE THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!! )

Just plead not guilty, and keep coming up with delays until the officer does not make a court date, then the ticket gets thrown out. I had an aquaintance that did that and got out of a 90 in a 55 ticket....

It is really sad that traffic law enforcement appears to have become nothing but a revenue generator, with huge fines even for non-moving violations. The real sad part is the Judge is not even a Judge in Arkansas, the states law only allows so much leaway on what the Judge can do if you plead guilty and try to "explain"... hence the reason for pleading not guilty in AR.

In the good old days, if you had a head light out, the officer wrote a warning, you fixed the headlight, stopped by the Police station to show them it had been reapired, and no fine was levied.... ahhh.... laws that actually had a purpose.

Now you get "judged" by the officer. He writes a $150 ticket if your headlight is out (or lets you off if he knows your family). You can pay the ticket, or if you go to court, have no choice but to plead guilty (the light was out after all, right).... the judge asks if you fixed the headlight, you say yes, and he is allowed by law to lower the ticket by $25 to $125. Pleading not guilty at least allows you another day in court to say something brilliant like "It had just burned out five minutes before, and I was on my way to Wal-Mart to by a new one and I planned to install it in the parking lot" or "The officer must have been mistaken, come on out to the parking lot right now and I'll show you both lights work just fine" if your found guilty, at least it only cost an extra $25 to be a pain in the behind to the Judge and the ticketing officer :)

OP
OP
J

JohnNad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
crown valley in ladera ranch between sienna *** o'niel, they are all over ladera ranch these days

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is really sad that traffic law enforcement appears to have become nothing but a revenue generator, with huge fines even for non-moving violations.

True that. 25 years ago I could sweet-talk my way out of half my tickets. Nowadays, not a chance. If they got you they are gonna drop the hammer.

But what do you expect when a significant portion of the fine goes into cop's benefits and retirement funds. Talk about a conflict of interest.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If your detector is 5 years old you can make it better. Go to the Valentine website, put your serial number in and they will give you a quote for the update to your unit.

EXACTLY..... they are very reasonable, and Mike V. prides himself in the upgraded/updated features like P.O.P. Im on my 2nd upgrade in 6-years.

The cops and manufacturers call Instant-On "SQUELCHED MODE" which more accurately describes how "Instant On" operates. Its ON but the radar beam is squelched to lowest levels (that POP may detect if close enuf) til the cop pulls the trigger on the remote switch or gun. (A friendly female cop once allowed me to sit inside her P-car and operate it.....she said "know your enemy"!) Squelch Mode is for both STEALTH and OFFICER SAFETY so the cop is not always bathed in stronger reflected radar signals.

Our best hope is that you can detect "splash" from cars that were radared or lazered ahead of you. If you are out there SOLO, you have one slight hope:

Of your reaction time RT is under .6 seconds, the pulse of DOPPLER readings of the radar unit take that much time to AVERAGE your speed. So if you were hit at 75mph initially, and braked slightly inside .6 seconds, you may have shaved off 10mph to 65. The radar AVERAGED your speed in that increment of time so you might display a DOPPLER AVERAGE of 69-70 mph......enuf to let you slide. Older units in municipalities took .75 seconds. Newer, faster processors take .5-.6 sec. As any drag racer knows, .5 sec comes in FAST !!!

With a LAZER, your only hope is to pick up early-warning splash off other cars.
If a LAZER strongly lights up your display, it might as well read "SCREWED" on your detector. A different cop let me play with the lazer. It is an awesome, almost idiot-proof unit that weapons-trained cops can pinpoint easily!

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The cops and manufacturers call Instant-On "SQUELCHED MODE" which more accurately describes how "Instant On" operates. Its ON but the radar beam is squelched to lowest levels (that POP may detect if close enuf) til the cop pulls the trigger on the remote switch or gun.
Actually, I don't beleive its the "POP" mode that detects the squelched mode, but just a very sensitive detector (such as the V1). I've got an un-upgraded '95 V1 and another un-upgraded '00 V1 (neither of which have POP), and I've picked up such "instant on" radars *before* they hit the trigger with both of them, as much as a half-mile ahead. In fact, I went around again to verify, and I was *watching* the motor office point it at the ground (while I'm getting an intermittent K-band beep), then, when he lifts it to point at traffic, the alert increases to a slightly stronger alert, but still very intermittent, then, all of a sudden, it goes to full on alert, evidently when he pulls the trigger. As this was on my commute route and I don't normally get an alert there, the sensitivity of the V1 did help.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only one place sells them to my knowledge. That is Valentine. they advertise in all the car mags and you can order via the internet (valentine1.com).

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What about the new STi from Beltronics, it's suppose to be STEALTH. For stats where it's not legal.

Unless I'm mistaken, the V-1 also does not use the standard super-heterodyne mixing frequency that the detector-detectors detect, which would also make it "STEALTH" :cool: (I don't immediately recall if its DSP, super-het with a different mixing freq, or some combo, though).

For my money, though, I want the arrows. I'm not that enamored with the case size or style, but I've not tried a detector I like better.

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of all of the radar detectors I have owned the Valentine 1 is by far the best. It is kind of pricey but well worth the money. Like they say, "I can't live without the arrows".

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RADAR = Radio Detection and Ranging
Laser/LIDAR = Light Detection and Ranging
(Two different technologies)

Radar is not target selective. Officer must have visual readout on his unit AND visual and tonal (doppler tone)confirmation of excessive speed.

Lidar offers 100% target isolation, even in dense traffic. BTW, dispersion is < 3ft. at 1000 ft. Forget trying to catch a "ping", so to speak. Laser is NOT used in the moving mode.

Just my .02...

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you are correct about the spread of the laser, but the laser will splash, reflect, or bounce off the target and spread even more. i have "caught" strays that have saved me from tickets while the next guy did not have warning and passed me by. who was quickly pulled over by the trooper

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
POP is a new, faster, signal that most detectors cannot pick up on. The idea was that it would travel from the gun to the target and back faster than detectors would see.

According to the manuals supplied with radar guns that have POP...it is NOT to be used for writing citations. It is supposed to be used for monitoring traffic speed.

I have two V1s. One of which I had for many years, and just upgraded. I never saw them sold as refurbs.

Hissses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
POP is a new, faster, signal that most detectors cannot pick up on. The idea was that it would travel from the gun to the target and back faster than detectors would see.

According to the manuals supplied with radar guns that have POP...it is NOT to be used for writing citations. It is supposed to be used for monitoring traffic speed.

I have two V1s. One of which I had for many years, and just upgraded. I never saw them sold as refurbs.

You need to ask for a refurb as it's not advertised.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In PA you have to pay the fine, then plead not guilty and try to win your $ back. Fing joke. it is just a revenue generator, in fact last time I asked the cop if they needed extra funds why didnt they just send a mailer out and save everyone time (I got a ticket for "rolling thu a stop sign")