GOT PACED AT 20+ OVER (long)

LADD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know how i can beat this sheriff snot nose.He also got me for AGRESSIVE DRIVING.Friday night the wife and I with a friend and his wife took our vipers for a what was suppose to be a enjoyable night.I was in the right lane he was in the left lane a car pulled out no lights on.I first went left behind my friend,the guy switched to the to the left again causing my friend to go into the right lane,then I was on this guy causing me to take action to avoid an accident,so I quickly went back into the right lane behind my friend again.We then got past this **** and we both switched back to the center lane.The sheriff hit me with the lights ,I then looked down at the speedo I was doing 50,the speed limit is 45,He pulls me over and on his PA says," STAY THERE".Then goes after my friend.10 min later a sheriff comes and makes me pull up about 1/2 mile to what now is three sheriff cars and my friend.I know what your thinking why did he stay there for ten min and not"BE GONE IN SIXTY SECONDS"Well I'm one of two yellow vipers in the city,and my lic reads"YA BABE" .Any way they paraded us around and humiliated me for 45 mins .They wouldn't let us out of the car at all,Now you all know how hot that passanger side can be my wife was dieing.Any way they treated us like viper criminals in their playland.I never got to give my side of the story.I was just handed the ticket and told to sign it or go to jail.After I signed it he told me he had to go 90 from 4 cars back to catch me so he said he paced me doing 70.The run was only 6/10 of a mile.Now is that a bunch of crap or what.Then there was the aggressive driving 1-unsafe lane change 2-following to closely within 1 foot he said??How could he judge that going ninety,looking at his speedo,jogging threw trafic.3-speeding.How can he give me two tickets for speeding.Hey thanks for letting me vent.

Dion Fisher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bummer, these cars do attract alot of attention and you're at the
mercy of the officer's ethics (or lack of) when this type of thing occurs..

I'm sure he felt quite mighty as he drove home to his '64 Fleetwood singlewide in his Ford Festiva that evening ha-ha..

Anyway a good lawyer is always my answer, good luck!!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll probably piss some ppl off, but oh well.

you got to look at it from a cops stand point of view.

#1, They have a dead end job.
#2, they see your car and are immediatley jealous because no matter how hard they save even living in that trailer on public shool grounds.
#3, They get out of shape because it's a nowhere job and they get their thrills from eating lots while on patrol
#4, they then get fat and are at their job 24/7 and their home life sux. Then comes divorce.
#5. it makes them feel better by "busting" someone because they have a successful life, and showing that control gives them a high
#6, One day they will be able to retire at 55 yrs old
#7, their WHOLE world revolves around that 5,000 square foot building they call their office.
#8, being a cop requires a lower I.Q. and intelligence so there is no turnaround (ask any police phsychiatrist (sp?)

You still wonder why they pulled you over and cited you?
Go to court, take some photos andyou'll have the charges lowered. Show up with some blown up 8 1/2 x 11's and grab your friend as a witness.

Sorry if I offended ppl, it's the truth. there are some good cops, yes, but MOST are snots (term used loosely)

Gerald

of course, this is my opinion...and yes even I am entitled to one.

Acatala7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very well said!! your points all hit the nail on the head! next time a cop pulls you over, get out and kick him in the nuts!

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey LADD,

Sorry about that man as I know exactly how frustrating that can be!

Last year I was driving in Irving, TX. in my 96 GTS with lots of HP's and TQ's and that has very loud exhaust. I wasn't speeding but rather sped to the speed limit quickly as ANY VIPER WILL DO. No tire squealing or display of power, just a quick BRRRRPPPP and you're going 50mph, right?

A few moments later, while sitting at a stop light enjoying a beautiful Texas day (and the car), a Suburban caught my attention as it screached to a smoking stop just inches from my bumper with the lights and horn blaring. I thought to myself, "What an a-hole", but then realized it was a cop! Then I thought, "Oh dam&, but hey, I didn't do anything wrong!?!?!".

So, I motion out the window that I recognize the officer and that I'll pull over once I get through the stop light. And I did, and was getting my license and insurance out when I turned to have a .40 caliber Clock just inches from my face and this a-hole cop calling me a "sorry mfer" repeatedly and screaming some nonsense about me "trying to evade him" and "I clocked you at 95 in a 30"! I actually thought he was going to reach in the window and punch me! About that time cop cars and vans come from out of nowhere! One of them raced the wrong direction across traffic jumping the median, a curb, and screached to a stop almost hitting my car! Meanwhile, I have a gun in my face and my hands out of the window awaiting instructions from this screaming redneck when a black officer (SWAT, no less) hands what looks like an AR-15 to another officer and literally pulls me from the car. I get spread eagled and man-handled like you can't believe as they pat me down. I'm scared s-less at this point!

For the next hour these guys attempt to calm bubba down as he rants on about me trying to evade him. They asked every question known and accuse me of as many crimes. They ultimately, with my reluctant permission, remove the false trunk from my car (that covered the nitrous bottle) and then the real inquisition begins. It was clear they thought I was a drug smuggler and the "just for show" cutout for my Baretta, a stack of money, and a diamond tray didn't help the explaination process either. It took an hour of background checks and inquiries to FINALLY calm these jerks down.

When it was all said and done there were 6 Police cars (with one of them being SWAT), at least 10 officers, an hour long traffic jam of onlookers, and one scared 30 year old Viper boy.

Bubba never radared me speeding and the entire "Chase" was less than a mile. He was just pissed that his 12 ton Suburban took forever to catch up. I wasn't EVEN driving fast!

Before it was clear whether or not I was going to be the next Rodney King, and as always, I was respectfull and polite with many "Yes, Sirs" and "No Officer" but after a while I'd had enough I started to get really pissed. I never said anything though, as those guys would've kicked my but if I'd taken ANY KIND OF TONE at all.

I realize that most police serve the greater good but these guys were ready to tear me apart and had tons of alibi's to cover up with.

My advice is to be humble as H and say "Sir" and "Officer" alot. Right or wrong those bozos have enough unchecked authority to destroy your car and get you a night in jail.

Good Luck,
Tittle

OP
OP
L

LADD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KEVIN,It was in tucson but we know all about sheriff joe.

DAVID,I to was as polite as I could be but they kept telling me to shut up and don't ask they any questions.any time I talked they made me look over my right shoulder they were never on my side of the car always behind my wife making me look backwards

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, unfortunately there are too many of us with these types of stories. Last weekend at the American Musclecar Challenge there were five of us Vipers caravaning over to the airbase. I happened to be the last one. We were all parked at a red light waiting to turn left at a 'T' intersection. The light turned and the people ahead of us slowpoked through to the point that it turned yellow ahead of me and red *just* as I started through. All the Vipers were nose-to-tail though to squeeze through. Well I didn't see him but there was a cop stopped at the light and lo and behold he comes right up behind me, turns on his lights AND his siren (what a real *#!@#$) going a whopping 15 mph no less and he makes me stop in the freeway in the right turn lane - not even a chance to pull over someplace safe. He came up to the car, gave me nothing but attitude, and cited me for the light. I tried to explain I didn't know where I was going and had to follow the other cars but he already had the ticket written practically before he got to the car. I don't even mind the ticket that much as I did technically go through a red light (although I think it is total crap, does he ticket funeral processions too?), its the blatant bad attitude that kills me. Course, I am 26 and I had big silver numbers on the side of my car!

Comes with the territory I guess.

- Mark ('99 ACR)

OP
OP
L

LADD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is they demand respect BUT they don't respect us.

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

The entire "what do you have in the car" line of questioning is an open door for the cops to literally disentegrate your car in search of "something". In my case they wouldn't have found an errant french fry much less a kilo of something illegal.

I totally revamped my interior to include Bridgette Weir leather and Wilton II carpet and a hidden trunk to cover my nitrous bottle. While I was at it I thought it would be a novely to build in a hidden compartment that had holes for a gun, a stack of money and a small tray for plastic diamonds. I usually carried a stack of fake bills and plastic diamonds from Wal-Mart. No gun, however!

When those cops pulled those lids up and saw the nitrous they almost ***'d and even asked if "it was medical grade" which you have to have a permit to buy, I guess! But, when they saw the stack of money and those childs play diamonds, it took 15 minutes to explain to them that it was an eccentric prank and not some illegal conspiracy. They treated me like garbage.

Keep it clean guys.

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was pulled for an 88 in a 55 when the officer said he had me on radar, but conviently erased it before showing it to me. I was doing 62 or so. Oh well, I figured I deserved it for some of those other times I had driven much faster. Get a good lawyer, chances are they know this **** and he has lied before. I got a cut rate from a lawyer because this guy had lied on the stand before when she was a DA. I didn't get completely out of it, but it was reduced to 64/55.

I've had lots of nice police officers look at my car (I pass about 6 every day on the way to work) and have had no problems other than this one ****.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we've learned anything about this great melting *** called America, it is that generalizations are extremely unfair and prejudicial. Judging all Police Officers based upon the conduct of a few is completely inappropriate and grossly inaccurate. Are there jerks within their ranks, you bet, but the percentage is probably no higher than that of any other profession. I have had my share of traffic related incidents and all things considered, I've show respect and been given respect (and more than a few breaks) in return.

How you conduct yourself on the scene is the most significant factor affecting the outcome. I have a whole checklist of things that I do to communicate (non-verbally) that I am a respecting, law-abiding citizen. The subject incident is beyond that stage so I won't bore you with the details. I will say this, treat this incident as a business matter as emotion will only exacerbate the problem. Once you embrace the fact that this is not personal (and it's not), you will introduce an air of calmness and objectivity that will enable you to mitigate, to some extent, the worst case scenario.

I doubt very many of you drive more aggressively than I do or have been stopped more times than I have. I've gotten away with warnings, had a few violations reduced on the scene, others reduced in traffic court. One thing each event had in common was that the officer wanted to go easy, maybe not let me off the hook completely, but go easy. I was recently stopped by a NJ State Trooper who said that I was a really nice guy and that if only there were something other than speeding he could cite me for he would ..... so I removed my seat belt, acknowledged my oversight and received a $38 fine for failure to wear a seatbelt (beats 55 in a 25).

Lighten up a bit .... Police officers are not the enemy, nor are they malicious or out to destroy the Viper Nation. Quite the contrary! We all really know that don’t we!

Reaction score
Fight the ticket(s). No matter what, every time (if you want to get off). First send them in and get an extension. Then another. Trust me this works in your favor; straight from a policeman's mouth.

Take pictures, have your story ready, prepare a mini-case in your defense. Chances are you extend for 3-4 months the cop won't even be there the day you are in court.

Good luck-

Rollo

OP
OP
L

LADD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr. ACR Sir

I showed respect by waiting 10 Minutes for them to return!! I am looking at it as a business matter if I loose!! 30 days automatic suspension of my license, as well as 8 points. What happens to my business insurance and my personal insurance??? It wasn't just ONE, Joe< it was 5 cops whom would not talk to me, I had no idea what I had done wrong until he handed me the ticket. My wife can talk to anyone, but they even told her to shut up!! I have a brother that is a cop, a brother in-law that is a cop, and my dad was also a cop, so if anyone has respect for them, it is ME!!! But I did nothing and they disrupted my life, so stick the gun in your face and tell yourself they are not the enemy. So if you would like to give me a dad lecture, please share with us your checklist of NON-VERBAL COMMUNICATING, so we the VIPER NATION can have the advantage of RESPECT.
NO DISRESPECT GIVEN
PEACE OUT
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
L

LADD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rollo
Thanks, finally someone said "If you want to get off."
Instead of saying to get your tickets reduced to a lower charge.
Rollo, do I extend the court date after I appear at my hearing to plee innocent?? See my problem is they are criminal not civil!!
Thanks Again
Ladd

Reaction score
LADD,

This one I could not tell you; I didn't realize they are criminal. A lawyer may be your best bet.

In my case, it was a very, very confusing on-ramp designated 'High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV)' only. Normally the ramps near LA and Orange County have both, this one was entirely HOV. To get onto the highway while by yourself, you had to use a different ramp. There was no way in H*** I was going to pay $271 for THAT. I signed the back of the ticket pleading innocent, then called for an extension of my court date. I did it a couple more times. It must have been 3-4 months...the guy never showed.

The judge gave many people before me the opportunity to plead down their tickets (I did not have that as a choice with the HOV/$271 violation). I will at the very least plead any tickets down I receive in the future.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry ACRJoe. I always like your post but I completely disagree with you on this one. Although there are certainly SOME good cops, there are a disproportionate number of them that are real jerks compared to other professions.

And it's always said about how dangerous their job is. Depends on the assignment. No way is it dangerous to selectively point a radar gun and issue a traffic ticket.

Because of their attitude and inability to make sound rational judgments, I will NEVER vote for a pay increase or anything else that will assist these guys.

Sorry for the negative post. I gotta stop now or I will go on all night.

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ladd,

Listening to your story, I wouldn't deny that you had a rough time. But I think that ACR JOE makes a good point that attitude does make a difference in some situations. Not that it necessarily would have changed yours, but in general - the best approach. If you care to consider the BIG picture, a few less tolerant cops do make the rest look bad, but do you suppose that a few bad apples behind the wheel of Vipers might make things harder for the rest of us as well? None of us really knows what experience the police may have had previously with Viper owners and let's face it - we choose to drive cars that tend to stand out a little. If you work in a family business you have to work twice as hard to get half the respect because of who you are - and I think the same may be true for how some people view Viper owners. It's part of the game now that you've made your choice and all you can really do is to continue to conduct yourself properly when confronted - the way you said that you did. Everybody has a story about bad experiences on the road or in traffic court but you are smart to do your venting here - it can get you into a lot of trouble on the street. I hope you can avoid this guy in the future.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see that my post spawned some controversy and a few new ideas. That's a good thing! Let me be clear that I respect all of your opinions, even those that I do not necessarily agree with. I wish LADD well and hope that he prevails over this issue.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, let me say that I truly feel bad for you LADD and hope that you can get a good lawyer to help you wade through this. I think that is certainly your best route.

Now, I would agree that you got a "bad" cop. However, I would also agree with ACR Joe in that every profession has its share of jerks and that there are a heck of a lot of good guys out there as well. As many of us have been in management roles (or had a manager over us), we know how some just get caught up in the power and forget they are dealing with regular people. I can only imagine what goes through some heads when you wear a badge and ******** a gun.

Personally, I have had a great relationship with the law around here (knock on wood). I find myself trading waves and grins with state troopers, chatting it up with the local cops at the weirdest times ( read this and see for yourself), and generally having great respect for each other. They know they can't outrun me and I know I can't outrun their radios. It also helps that I drive with a constant smile and not a look of constipation with my nose in the air - no Grey Poupon for me, thanks.

Sorry you drew a bad apple, LADD, and keep us posted on the results.

Chris

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I spent most of my high school days in South Western (Redneck) Oklahoma. There are lots of stereotypes but there is also one major thing that I learned from that time. While the local police would allow us to drive around and drink alcohol they also monitored our conduct and from that we learned to provide respect to the law enforcers! Address them as "Sir" or "Officer" and things will be better. Heck, they would even radar MPH our drag racing! Cool guys as long as you didn't disrespect them!

In the incident that I spoke of earlier I was let off without a ticket and I site my behavior as the ONLY reason why. It's unfortunate that the cops were SO ANXIOUS to GET ME but I kept a steady demeanor, didn't lose my temper, and gave them SO MUCH RESPECT that they couldn't punish me.

I guess my point was that I didn't do anything wrong and was treated like a criminal. It sucked.

Regards,

painexpert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have a legit complaint concerning the way that you have been treated by a police officer then you should write a formal complaint and send it to the police chief.It will be investigated and I would not fear reprisal from the dept.The police are there to protect and serve the community.I have been close friends with many police officers(due to the nature of my job)and I can tell you from experience that they will not support some A-hole cop!

OP
OP
L

LADD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HEY EVERYONE!! THANKS FOR THE GOOD WORDS. DO NOT WORRY MY FRIENDS, I WILL NOT BE THE VIPER OWNER THAT LET'S DOWN THE VIPER COMMUNITY! I WILL GET A LAWYER, TAKE MY 3 WITNESS'S WITH ME, HAVE PICTURES AND PRAY. BUT I WILL TELL YOU THIS, I'M CALLING OR WRITING HAVEN'T DECIDED YET (INTERNAL AFFAIRS) LIKE BOB SAID I ONLY HOPE THAT THEY WON'T SUPPORT NOT ONLY 1 A-HOLE BUT 4.

I CAN APPRECIATE WHAT THEY DO FOR US, BUT I CANNOT APPRECIATE WHAT THEY DO TO THEMSELVES.(BUY BEHAVING LIKE A-HOLES) ON WITH LIFE!!!!!!!!
LADD

Dion Fisher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good for you LADD, when you hire your legal counselor I would ask
him what would be the best and most effective way to bring you and your wife's treatment to light.. I feel sure that if it's played out correctly you'll be vindicated..

Just remember it's not the lawyer that has the lowest cost per hour that's your best deal, it's the one that has the highest kill ratio..Good luck!!

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may be a little off the subject, but me and a friend were racing bicycles through Herman Park in Houston (35+mph). The park policeman got so irate that he roared by us then suddenly cut us off. I plowed right into the side of the rear of his car then slid forward all the way up until I got caught on his spot light. He had his window rolled down and I just looked down at him and asked him if there was a problem. He looked kind of shook up and asked that we stay in the outside lane in the future.

I smiled, he smiled, we kept riding and the park police never bothered us again.

Sometimes when people especially police do bone headed things you can manipulate it to your advantage.

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My many experiences with John Q. Law have taught me the following:
1) Big City cops are usually cooler about traffic stuff than small town guys (I guess the LAPD and SJPD actually have crime related things to worry about).
2) Know your 4th Amendment rights - your ability to NOT give consent to actions the police wish to take is a valuable right.
3) Keep your hands where the cop can see them - they get nervous otherwise, especially at night - this includes asking permission before putting your hands in your pockets or reaching for the glove compartment.
4) Try to avoid getting your car impounded - the impound lots are not usually covered.
5) You can ask for the cop not to put all the crap he pulls out of your car on your hood, but that will likely amuse him, and the next thing you know he's tossing his metal cuffs on your hood leaving a nice calling card.
6) Try to go on a ride-along with the local cops, even buy dinner - never hurts to play nice.
7) Most important of all - try to avoid passing a cop on the freeway doing triple digits - that really seems to irritate them.

Good luck.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not all cops are bad, just the few that screw it up for everyone else. My future father in law is retired first lt of the SC HP, and we got lots of law enforcement on his side. The HPs look out for me, i'm friends with alot of them... they have come to my rescue when some local cops tried to give me some $hit and got out of hand (put a dent in my drivers side door w/ the night stick).

cops are people, and we all know that some people are just born @$$holes.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maxx, so what your saying is that if your future father in law wasn't a retired cop and didn't know any, you would be $h*t out of luck when the cities finest put a dent in your car..
Man, your lucky!!!

**** I hate cops..

Gerald

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950