Got pulled over for not having a front license plate - do these work at speed?

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a warning this time but the officer promised me a ticket/fine next time he sees me. Since I don't want to drill into the front fascia, I noticed these at PartsRack. They say tested to 100mph, but I occasionaly hit higher than that on empty straights. Any experiences you can related with this product?

Danny Ocean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the fine? Although front plates aren't required in FLA, most "fix-it" (equipment) tickets here are $5. I'd rather pay a small fine than ruin the lines of a Viper with a plate.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Got pulled over for not having a front license plate - do these work at

I get a fix-it-ticket for not having a front plate. I made a little suction cup bracket to hold the front plate so I could get the fix signed off. The cop went up to the plate and actually yanked on it to make sure that it was perminatly fixed to the front of the car. The plate didn't budge. I guess I fooled him. I might have spend 10 bucks in parts. The plate has held to over 100 mph just fine.

Un'sidepiper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The following paragraph is form the VCA home page under FAQ's - maybe this will hepl...

Do I have to wear the front license plate?
Many states require both rear- and front-mounted license plates, which indeed detract from the front-end appearance of the Viper. To put it mildly. The truth is, the majority of law-enforcement officers won’t push this issue if you pass the "attitude test" upon being pulled over. Here is Washington State, I have personally approached three police officers to inquire about this. One said that since the Viper has no factory provisions for mounting a plate, it’s exempt. Another said the that although the law requires it, they simply don’t care. A third officer showed me the rule, which states that exemptions can be made in instances of low ground clearance (less than one foot from the edge of the plate to the pavement as well as if it interferes with the car’s ability to function as intended. Hey, airflow to the oil cooler is hampered by a front plate, as well as to the radiator. And these cars run hot in the first place, right? No further questions, your honor. For hard-core cops, keeping the plate visible in the front windshield is a secondary approach.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That plate frame will work. It is pretty permenent though...comes with 2 bolts that tap into the front frame rail. If you look under the top rib of your front fascia there are plastic "Christmas Trees" plugs that hold the fascia on. You remove the two that line up with the plate frame and bolt it on.

There is a suction cup frame you can buy from Woodhouse Dodge if your interested in that.

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I received a $75 fine in illinois. Now I have had to ruin my car and put on a front plate.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have had a couple 1993 and up Firbirds, they are probably even worse than a Viper when you put a plate on the front. I was pulled over once and they gave me a ticket, at that time (10 years ago), it was $75!! Ohio by the way. The Firebird was an easy fix, put it in the air dam under the car, could not be seen if on top of the car but could sort of see it if you were not close.

Now as for the Viper, it is to low for that. What am I going to do? Not run it. I do not care if it is $200, I am not putting a plate on the front of my car! I do carry it in the car, under the floor mat. Could easily pop it on the dash. Not sure about your state but the law in Ohio reads "visable from the front of the car" so the dash would be OK. I guess the question is can I get it on the dash after I see a cop pull a u-turn or pull out of a speed trap. He may say it was not there a minute ago, but I would think going to court, saying it was there and explining the cop was obviously distracted by the car would probably work. Yea I know, a little white lie in court, OJ did it!

Don_

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have that bracket since Ontario requires front plates and they are pretty anal about it, yes I got a ticket before. I've gone way past 100mph and no problems at all.

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Damn front plate laws!!! The only reasons they are required are so you are easier to target with laser radar guns and photo radar at intersections. Ill pay the $25 fine and tell the judge and cop to kiss my Asp.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I received a $75 fine in illinois. Now I have had to ruin my car and put on a front plate.

Front windshield man...

Clip the plate to your passenger sun visor. If you get pulled over, flip it down before he approaches. Tell him it was down but he just didn't see it up there. Worth a try.

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the same one at Parts Rack and it works great. Easy off and on. I had it on up to 125mph...worked fine...no abraisons or scuffs on the fascia. Usually I keep mine in the trunk and if I get pulled over...just going to say "Ooops, I just washed the car and forgot to put it back on"...then walk to my trunk and pull it out and put it on for the nice officer. Unless he's an ***...should let you go.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya know... in Europe, or at least in The Netherlands... you can get a license plate decal to stick on yer car. I have seen a red '94 Viper over here (it belongs to Heysie on this forum) that has this feature. Can ya get this in the U.S. too?

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Front windshield man...

Clip the plate to your passenger sun visor. If you get pulled over, flip it down before he approaches. Tell him it was down but he just didn't see it up there. Worth a try.

DONT DRILL!!!

Doesn't Sean Roe or Parts Rack have the solution??

Jay K.

OP
OP
D

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well got the partsrack unit mounted this morning and took the snake up to 145mph (on a straight deserted road of course). It didn't budge so I am happy with this solution. Just waiting to see that nice officer again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4