GOT PULLED OVER!!!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah you heard it correctly. I got pulled over on Thursday for no front license plate and a no inspection sticker. :mad: I had just got the car a few weeks ago and had actually been getting it inspected the next day. Ironic huh? :confused: Well, this was a "pleasant" experience. The windows were also tinted but he did not notice that because I put them down. I was going 20 in a 25 and still got pulled over for those stupid reasons. To make it worse the cop was a ****. That did not make my day. Oh well you live and you learn don't ya. Anyone get similar tickets? ;)

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are not required to have front plates, but no inspection sticker is a steep fine.

Do you think you can get out of it based on you just purchasing the vehicle?

Didn't know if there was a grace period or not.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least you didn't get a ticket for speeding.
These sound like fix-it tickets. Hopefully you won't get dinged for the inspection sticker thing.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like the cop was a real ****, probably jealous. Being a new purchase, you would think he would give you the benefit of the doubt and give you a little time to get the front plate, inspection sticker, etc. The cop was probably having a bad day and unfortunately didn't give you the break that you deserved.

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar exp a month ago. Got pulled over several times within 10 miles for Front Plate and Tinted windows. Fort. only ended up with one ticket for the tint. The cops that pulled me over were actually "nice" about it which made me mad as well but probably kept me from getting more tickets as it probably would have inflamed me. Glad to know that another menace has been taken down like I had been, were so much more safe now. We are some pretty dangerous guys running around without front plates and our dark tinted windows, especially in todays environment... :)

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Anyone get similar tickets?

Do you have a couple of hours? .. .. ..

Seriously though sounds like you can walk this if you put some effort behind it. Tell the DA/Judge that (**and I'm not sure if this is still true) the front license brackets are currently back-logged by DC and that you just purchased the car (like said above - there should be some kind of grace period - like 30-60 days 4exp.)

Then write it off as a bad experience and try to imagine how many bogus tickets me and 2ViperChuck have gotten in our lives combined... **** we practically finiance the Judge retirement program....

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Texas, you can usually just show proof that you got it inspected, pull up with a front plate, and they'll let you off with a $10 court cost or so. I used to get the tint tickets all the time, so I had a family friend who is a doctor, write me a prescription for dark windows. Photosensitive skin! Yeah, that's what I have! ;)

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Elite1:

That is pretty sad. I can not believe that cops would acutally do that to you. It is annoying that we have to go through this to drive the cars that we want.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have just read the DMV manual and it says that it must have been inspected within 14 days of arrival. I was told it was longer but I guess that will not work in court. For the record, I believe I had the car for 17 or so days. Really stinks. :( What is even worse is that the appointment was for the following day. :mad:

As for the cops, they were in Helmetta right outside of East Brunswick, Spotswood, and Old Bridge. This area I have been told only has one or two cops and he just happened to pull me over. ANNOYING!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grrrrrrr.....

Well, if it's anything like Texas, the front plate thing is a cash only kind of fine - doesn't show up as a moving violation so it won't affect your insurance, etc.

The inspection on the other hand may...not sure. Actually, now that I think about it, my insurance company here said that it would not count against. So, other than the pleasent conversation with the cop and the $$ you should be fine (not much consolation!)

How much was the ticket?

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I am glad that there are no points or insurance hikes because of this. The ticket for no inspection sticker was $123.00 and no front plate was $44.00. I will be going to court for these as I can not believe the nerve and BS in this whole issue. I will keep you all updated.

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats weird 355, ive never gotten any smack for lack of front plate in the year and a half ive had the car. i usually put it on the dash but it always falls down, still, no problems yet (knock on wood). Maybe its time to secure it up there eh?

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a removable front plate bracket from Woodhouse, put it on and mount the plate. Take a picture of it. Get the car inspected as scheduled. Take the picture to court with you. Plead no contest to both charges. Explain to the judge you don't drive the car everyday, and that you had an appointment set up for the day after you got the ticket. Show him the inspection receipt. Take along something that proves you just got the car. The dealer didn't mount your plate bracket; after the ticket, you mounted it yourself and here's a picture to show it's mounted now. If you're lucky, the judge might dismiss one or both charges. Of course, you still pay court fees -- they get their money. As someone else said, there are no points charged for the plate violation, so even if you have to pay it's no biggie. Optionally, remind the judge it's a brand new car, so it's not like you were driving around in an unsafe vehicle.

I got nailed in Virginia a couple of years ago for speeding (first ticket in 18 years), and the State Cop also wrote me up for failure to display a front plate. I made a court appearance, plead no contest and was allowed to take a one-day driving safety course and the ticket was dismissed. If I had done what I've suggested to you for the plate violation, he would have dismissed that charge too. As it was, I paid the $25 fine and court costs -- no points.

If you're lucky, the judge will realize the cop was/is an A-hole, and might cut you a break.

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got pulled over by a cop exactly three miles after I picked up my car! Some made-up law that I apparently broke. He was "kind" enough to only give me a warning. I was very grateful ;)
You think the fact that my ACR is Yellow had anything to do with it? I thought he was stopping me for going too slow - getting used to this car took a day or so.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Ron:

I will definitly take what you said into court with me. I am going to do a little research and find out a way to win this case. These tickets to me a BS.

Thanks again

Keith

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mahesh

Dear Mahesh:

Really? Never any problems? I can not believe that. I have only had my Viper for almost three weeks and I have already been harassed by these dumb cops. Your LUCKY!!

Keith

P.S I was in your town today. LOL!

Claudio Ferraroni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it's nothing new, but I found a solution to the front plate problem myself : front plates are really huge in Italy and I didn't have the heart to make holes through the front fascia to fit the plate-holder. After being warned a couple of times by the cops (who never fail to stop a Viper to "inspect" the exotic monster), I made a colour fotocopy of the plate and had a sticker plate cut on the model. I have been pulled over again after, but always made it away. Of course it's not legal, but it's still better than having NOTHING in the front !!
Moreover nobody can say it's a fake while you are driving !!

--------------------
Claudio
1999 GTS in Italy

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well thank you everyone for all your help. Now let me ask you all one more question. Anyone have any advice about when I go to court?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Play dumb, be very respectful, tell them you got it fixed, and be very apologetic. It's a proven formula.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are not required to have front plates, but no inspection sticker is a steep fine.

Do you think you can get out of it based on you just purchasing the vehicle?

Didn't know if there was a grace period or not.

Viper driver's aren't required to have a plate? Or just your state?

Lots of states don't require a front plate, e.g., NC, FL, etc.

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
keith you were in livingston on saturday?? wierd man, i was home from college on saturday too, i was drivin around all day. too bad we didnt run into each other

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to order my high school ring in a nearby town. I believe the town was Cadall. Man it is a shame we did not run into eachother. That would have been pretty funny.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after being at the court house for 3 and a 1/2 hours the result was really not worth it. I ended up getting the front plate ticket dropped but still had to pay the inspection one but I it was at a reduced rate. Instead of paying $123 for inspection ticket and $44 for the front plate ticket (total of $167.00) I paid $138.00. Worth it? Not really but I met some cool people so I guess it was worth it. All I know is that anytime I see a cop the windows are going down so that I do not get a tinted windows ticket. No that the car will be finished with inspection tomorrow I will be happy. NO OTHER TICKETS!!!! I failed inspection because they COULD NOT FIND THE CATS!!!! What the h*ll??? Annoying. That is all I have to say. Well thanks everyone for your help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang