Got SMOKED by a Gixxer

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was coming home from work Saturday night, and as I sat at a light, I saw a motorcycle coming up fast behind. He pulled into the empty lane next to me, and out of the corner of my eye I saw it was a Blue/White Suzuki GSXR. Well, even if it was a 10 year old GSXR, I knew I'd be in trouble. In fact, I thought it was one of the first GSXR 750's with the Blue/White paint scheme. When the light turned, I still decided to see what I could do, so I launched on the green and so did the GSXR. I spun a little and got a little torque steer, but my gears still pulled me out pretty nicely through my 1st and 2nd gear shift points - didn't matter. The GSXR launched like he was coming off an aircraft carrier deck. While he was still in first his nose came up, but when he hit second, the nose really came up and he held it as he accelerated through a slight sweeper. By the time I shifted out of second it was over. Heck, it was over as soon as this guy pulled up next to me.

I caught up to him at the next light and asked him if it was a stock GSXR. Turns out it was one of the new GSXR 1000's! The guy had just gotten it after having a Yamaha. The dude could really ride - he said he loved the motorcycle and it was super light. Man, the 1000 just took the place of the 750 or R1 on my list.

Reaction score
Hot story! You and I have a lot in common!

I knew I first wanted a Viper when a couple years ago me and a buddy were coming home from a late dinner in his BMW M3 (240 h.p., 5 spd., 0-60 in 5.6 I think) and lined up next to a Viper at a red light. It was canted quite uphill (in Orange County, on Crown Valley Parkway underneath the 73 tollroad overpass).

THE VIPER SMOKED US LIKE WE WEREN'T EVEN THERE!!!

As far as bikes, I have had 3 x 600 "crotch rockets", with the last being a Honda CBRF2. Even one of those from the early 90's could smoke any car around off the line...I did it all the time.

I think the Yamaha V-Max (a.k.a. bike on steroids) used to have the fastest 0-60...1.75 seconds!!

-Rollo

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new GSXR 1000 is very quick, but not particularly more so off the line than any other recent literbike. They'll all do 0-60 in the high 2s and the 1/4 in the high 9s to low 10s stock. The Viper's also very quick for a car, but simply doesn't have enough traction to match a bike off the line.
If you're going to race a motorcycle, either drive around on slicks & skinnies, or race from a roll at, say, 60 mph. Either way, bring quite a bit of HP to the party -- current literbikes are 600 lbs with rider and have 130 - 160 RWHP. They're spending perhaps 30 HP at freeway speeds, which means in a 3600 lb Viper, you'll need 600+ RWHP to match one. Hennessey, BTR and Doug Levin are waiting for your call
You must be registered for see images

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to ride a '93 GSXR-1100, with some mods., but I learned quickly then, that I'd race anything from 0-60 on that bike, but what I learned later, is that I should be careful with what cars I choose to race starting from 60+mph!
After purchasing my '97 GTS I have smoked many of these bikes, (600,900,&1100s!) when I am rolling side-by-side at 60mph and then put the hammer down! You should see their face when they get smoked by a Viper!! Those bikes are just too fast off the line! Next time you see one in your mirror, make sure you are cruising before you pull the trigger, unless of course you have a Venom 800, 2.4 0-60!! Which will take all of these bikes at any speed!
Good luck next time!!

OP
OP
K

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rollospec:

I knew I first wanted a Viper when a couple years ago me and a buddy were coming home from a late dinner in his BMW M3 (240 h.p., 5 spd., 0-60 in 5.6 I think) and lined up next to a Viper at a red light. It was canted quite uphill (in Orange County, on Crown Valley Parkway underneath the 73 tollroad overpass).

THE VIPER SMOKED US LIKE WE WEREN'T EVEN THERE!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that stretch well - right by the Costco - I've punched it many times coming off 5 onto Crown Valley - but a cop likes to hang out just beyond Greenfield

Have you had a chance to compare the 600's to the 750 or even R1 or GSXR1000?

I'm beginning to wonder if I should get a 600 as my first motorcycle, or just look at the 1000's - I'm more concerned about freeway stability than being able to crank it around Buttonwillow.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kid,

You are just having too much fun! I also encountered a crotch rocket on my way home from work on Friday. I was going southbound on Sepulveda just south of the 105, and this guy is hauling a$$ through El Segundo. Too fast for me, as the El Segundo cops are very harsh, and there are a lot of them! Anyway, as fate would have it, we end up lined up next to each other at the front of the line at the El Segundo Blvd. stoplight, which was red. I figure, ***, you only live once, so I rev it to 1500 rpm and hold it there (1) to get the guy's attention, and (2) to prepare for the launch.

Light goes green, and I get on it a little too hard. I was spinning enough I had to let off a bit. When I totally hooked, the guy had me by maybe a car length. I speed-shifted second, and when the bike shifted into second he popped a big-time wheelie, at which point I caught up to him. We were dead even after that up to about 70 mph, which was enough for me in El Segundo on a Friday afternoon. Actually, I was surprised I didn't get slaughtered. I think this guy may have never recovered from the wheelie.

I have no idea what kind of bike it was. I think it said "750" on it somewhere.

So, Kid, you're going to buy a bike??? I must say it sounds very tempting, though I've never ridden one before. Have you?

Reaction score
Kid97GTS-

I haven't stayed very current with the bike scene since selling my last one in 1999. I had reconstructive shoudler surgery, so the 5 spd. 5.0L and the CBRF2 both had to go!! I bought an automatic so I didn't have to shift.

Just had another surgery on my other shoulder last week, so the any motorcycle ideas I had have been put off.

I will be in O.C. this coming weekend with my "new" Viper. Would you like to meet somewhere to play show and tell? I should be there from Friday thru Tues. or so. Send me an e-mail if you are interested. I'd be welcoming of any owner tips you could give me while down there-

Rollo

Reaction score
Kid and Venom Lover-

Regarding bikes...like I said I have had 3...and have not "been down" yet. They say there are two kinds of bikers: those that have been down, and those that are going down!!

They are a blast, but dangerous because of other people. Even if you drive it hard and fast but responsibly, others not paying attention will regularly try to take your life.

Add to that one of my sisters is a speech pathologist; she says 80% of her patients outside of Atlanta are motorcycle accidents "victims".

I think I'll stick to my new Snake!!

Rollo

brett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask Mumford his opinion on which bike to get...he's had all of those and cut his road racing teeth in on bikes. I owned the new generation GSX R 750 and I've ridden Mumford's new GSX R 1000 (that thing is nuts!) He has a Honda 600 F4 I rode as well, really nice commmuter bike. All of which will stomp the Viper any time before they hit top speed...maybe the 600 would lose ground after 125 or so. Ya' know...hhmmm....maybe we could even line them all up @ 60 mph on the freeway and let 'er rip! No safety conscious, tree huggin' responders please.

OP
OP
K

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brett:
Ya' know...hhmmm....maybe we could even line them all up @ 60 mph on the freeway and let 'er rip! No safety conscious, tree huggin' responders please.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brett,
Sounds good to me - you and Mumford could bring out the 750 and 1000 (maybe DJ could take out the R1????) and I'll bring the Viper and we could run 'em between Pendleton and San Clemente..... Although I should probably update my Valentine radar/laser detector before we go.

Reaction score
Do I really need to wheel out the GSXR-1000 just to prove a foregone conclusion? Why don't I also bring my pickup truck and we can race the Viper from 60 just to make sure the Viper wins? The 1000 would run harder from the Viper at 60 than it would from a light because the front wheel will be easier to keep down. Although at 60, I'll still be in the top of first gear...

Reaction score
The "super-race" you are expecting will be sure to disappoint. The 1000 will leave the R1 at about the same rate that the R1 will leave the 750. Not by too much, but unless you hop on the back of one of the bikes you won't be there to watch. All you'll see is the back of three bikes giving you a thrashing that even GilloolyBerg would be ashamed of (no small feat).

True, my cream-puff motored Viper would have a hard time even starting the race (takes a while to get to 60) but don't think for a second that your Viper will even be able to keep the bikes in sight for more than a second or two.

As for the WRX...I say pull the trigger on that and we can have a real race. Brett's Type-R, your WRX and my S2000. Maybe we can all pitch in and the winner can take home a bucket of Uncle Ben's finest?

WAR RICE BOYS!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Hmmm... with all this smack talking going on, have any of you ever run your bikes at the dragstrip? If so, what 1/4 mile time and speed did you get? Most riders have trouble getting within .5 seconds of the published times, and turning in a 10.6 on a literbike won't impress a NOS-equipped Viper turning in 10.3s on MT ET Streets...

On a side note, I'll be at Buttonwillow on 4/15 on my (slightly modified) R1. Any fellow listers going to that track day?

Reaction score
I once ran my full race-prepped R1 at Pomona. 375 lbs/wet, 170 rwhp (Attack racing built), full race bodywork etc. and ran 10.40 at somewhere in the mid 140s. The bike had just gotten back from Road America and the gearing was WAY tall. I think I was still in 3rd (maybe 4th) when crossing the 1/4 line.

I totally **** at launching and rode a wheelie through at least the 1/8 mile. The speed indicates a sure 9 second pass with a decent drag racer (it was my first time) and/or better gearing/more weight on the front.

I haven't seen too many Vipers with E/T Streets lately. Also the car is WAY more traction limited than the bike. Not too many stoplights around here have traction compound applied hourly. Even Hennessey's $180,000 twin-turbo monster runs "only" 137 in the 1/4. Put street tires on it and have it launched from a regular street and anything below 11 seems highly improbable.

OP
OP
K

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul, I think you are forgetting that we are talking about MY Viper, not your underpowered newer version. Anyway, the real comparison I'd like to see in the suggested "Carlbad to San Clemente Cannonball Run" is the race between the 750, the 1000 and the R1. I figure after about the first two seconds I should have a pretty good view of the bikes going at it! Besides, if my WRX purchase craters I might be in the market for a 1000.

Reaction score
These threads always interest me. I know lots of people can't imagine their Viper getting smoked, but until you've ridden one of these things (no, not a 1993 Ninja 600 either) you won't understand.

Those 'Busas are wicked! Definitely don't want **** with one of them. I find it funny that people still argue this one, when everyone who owns a Viper & a bike says the Viper will get stomped every time.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I'll have to break out my American Iron, 94' Harley davidson with $30,000 in modifications. Oh yeah, that's all in chrome, I'll save the insane driving for four wheels, I'm way past that 125 mph wheelie stuff.

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my bike its a 2000 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa,it is currently the worlds fastest production motorcycle,it is capable of 9 second 1/4 mile ETs and 194 mph top speed and it will hand a Viper its A$$ from a standing start or 60 mph roll,if you are gonna chase bikes you better learn bike recognition,BTW I am having a turbosystem installed this summer,OUCH!!!

brett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once you own one of the current bikes and ride them at speed you'll have a whole different view. You get in the Viper imediately after and the car feels like it dropped a cylinder. Why is this so hard to figure out? A GSX R 1000 with 155 hp at the rear wheel weighing in at just over 400 lbs. wet...In comes the Viper with less than 3 times the horsepower and weighs more than 8 times the weight.... Do the math!

WAR TREKKIES!!!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, bikes and Vipers are two different feelings! If anyone wants to tell me that when I get off my current GSXR 750 that my Viper feels slow! You are absolutely nuts! My previous GSXR1100, was the same. Yes, too fast at 0-60, but after that you just don't feel the power! In a Viper, you really feel the power all through exceleration! And when you put the hammer down @60 on a bike, you really don't feel the power, at least in comparison to the feeling in a Viper! Also, since I have both a bike and Viper, I am a little less bias, and I can say that I have yet to encounter a bike that can run away from my Viper when we start side by side @ 60 and up!! Although, I am sure they are out there, supercharged, etc., but hey Venom 800.....!!!
In my experience, I prefer my Viper over my bike any day, actually, getting rid of the bike(Baby on the way!) Also, it took me quite a while longer to get my first Viper $65k, than my first GSXR which I had in college $6500!
Bikes are fast, so is the Viper, I prefer my speed behind a steering wheel!!

Reaction score
No offense, but we aren't talking about a GSXR-1100. Any of the new 600s will beat that bike from 0 to top speed (160 ish). The difference between a new 1000 and the old 1100 is staggering. Also, nobody claimed they liked the bike better, just that it's faster.

I have no idea why you guys think that bikes are only fast from 60. FYI, almost all of these bikes make power WAY up on the tach and they don't even hit the top of the powerband in FIRST gear until 60. It's at 60 where the A**-Beating really gets ugly.

I think the reason why a couple of you with sportbike encounters on the freeway think the bikes are slower than they are is because of the sequential gearboxes in the bikes. If a guy on a bike is crusing in 6th gear down the freeway and you take off on him, he's gotta drop at least 4 gears to get to the REAL power. Some guys might be too impatient to drop the gears past 5th or 4th and are trying to race at 6000 rpm where they are making 1/3 of the available power. Pull up to a decent rider and he will take the extra second to put it into second gear and unleash an epic thrashing. When a 600cc bike can run almost 130 in the quarter, that's gotta tell you something.

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Casey-GSXR750 and 1100's,thats old technology,throw your leg over a Hayabusa or a ZX-12R,I guarantee you'll feel the power above 60 mph all the way to 190+!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul Mumford hit the nail on the head.... so many car guys think the bikes are only fast from a standing start. If anything, it's the opposite. Launching a bike is VERY hard - too much RPM and you can wheelie (all the way over if you're not careful), too little and you bog - and you bog worse than a Viper.

My CBR929 will flat out roast my Viper at any speed - even from a 100mph roll I'd put the money on the bike. The bikes are geared for acceleration - you can hit 80 in 2nd no problem.

The acceleration of modern sport bikes just has to be experienced. I remember taking off at 100mph in 3rd on my CBR and it just kept pulling, and pulling, and pulling.

The thing about bikes, is that they fall off on power pretty quick. What I mean is that they will run hard to their top speed, but then they sort of just won't go any faster. People think that a Vette or Viper would win a 100 to top speed run against a ZX12 or Hayabusa, but it just ain't true.

The fastest stock sport bikes are usually faster than most of the quickest modified cars. A Hennessey 800TT or TNT King Snake is going to lose (all things being equal) to a bone stock Hayabusa.

George Bryce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My ACR will out run a GSX 1300....might have to roll them from a 100 on. LPE ran 192 in 5th gear during the C.D. mag road test in my car. With 700 RWT @ 4500 it will pull 6th. The Venom 800 will too, I am sure!! Smack atcha Smack Daddy. GB3

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave