Gotta flat, got questions. No racing tomorrow, wah.

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Started to drive the snake in this AM & it was drifting right, hopped out immediately & my passenger side tire was 80% flat, pulled the air compressor outta the trunk & 10 mins later limped her home. A quick peek in the garage & there it is, a construction nail half in the tire, I moved it & could have pulled it right out. So here's my question, can I patch the tire? I figure I need to take the wheel to my viper tech only, but will I need a new tire. The nail is right in the center of the tire, sticking out of the top of one of the center contact strips. I was going to MIR tomorrow for some cold air fun runs (bummer), but at least I got the flat a mile from my house and not at 118 mph at the end of the quarter.

Thanks for any input,

Dave.

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
Many people believe in patching the tire for a small hole such as that. Any good tire shop (with the right machine) can take care of it. Look for quality shops, and not some nationwide highschool drop out chain shops.

As for taking it off, just make sure you use the correct jackpoints.

Personally, if you plan to race it, I'd replace the tire. I've never been a fan of patches....

OP
OP
D

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, (I'm just full of questions), if it looks like I need to replace it, if anyone has a good (aka, cheap) source for a tire replacement I'd appreciate that info too. thanks.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A patch will work okay, but your tire will lose its "Z" rating, kinda scary when your on the track at 125 around a big sweeper and all you think about is that patch.

Another option that will allow the tire to retain its "Z" rating is have it vulcanized. There aren't too many shops that do this but if you can find one it's worth it.

Personally I'd buy a new tire, around $350.

OP
OP
D

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like tirerack is $380, anyone know of a cheaper source. I've generally use tirerack & find them to be very competitive, but considering the price I just wanted to check a little harder this time.

thanks.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume it's a front tire, if so I just had my fronts done for $352.50 each including tax, mounting & high speed balancing. If it's a rear I had them done this morning for $407.11 each complete. So shop around.

Make sure it is not an A/S (all season) unless that is what you want, it wll not be as sticky as a regular Sport Pilot. Make sure it has the C1 designation on the sidewall and check the "born" date on the sidewall, I wouldn't buy a tire that was manufactured more then a year ago. The last place I went to tried to sell me a tire manufactured in 98'.