Gotta love the rumor mill......

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where are the Fourfathers?

At Ford, at GM, retired, and retired.

Remember this:

On May 18, 1990, Lee Iacocca stood before an audience of auto writers in Los Angeles and dramatically threw Bob Lutz a set of keys. "Build it!" he cried.

:headbang:

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just received DODGE, The Magazine. Vol 4, issue 3
This comes from Dodge, via the Dealer's Assn.
"Exclusively for Owners:

Please note the punctuation, I am now QUOTING:

"We have the Charger SRT8, Magnum SRT8, RAM SRT10, Viper SRT10 and the SRT4, which will soon be discontinued."

[ Did a comma belong after "Viper SRT10" ? ]

I AM JUST READING THIS STUFF TO YOU...... I bet you have a copy somewhere IF you bought a new Dodge from a Dodge dealer

A PUNCTUATION GOOF :) Since the Neon is being replaced with the CALIBER, THE SRT-4 is being dicontinued. Yep....

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any chance of the rumored Gen 4 Viper 8.4 liter motor being shown at SEMA? The Carbon Concept made its debut there after all...

From a historical perspective; I notice that the Gen 1, Gen 2 engine reference terms have been universally applied to the cars themselves. This is a little confusing because basically we have only seen the 92-02 Viper body style (first generation) and the 03-up bodystyle (second generation). If we see a new design in 08 that would be the third generation Viper bodystyle.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IT's unlikely that much will be revealed on an official level while they're still trying to sell gen IIIs

snake dreams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any chance of the rumored Gen 4 Viper 8.4 liter motor being shown at SEMA? The Carbon Concept made its debut there after all...

From a historical perspective; I notice that the Gen 1, Gen 2 engine reference terms have been universally applied to the cars themselves. This is a little confusing because basically we have only seen the 92-02 Viper body style (first generation) and the 03-up bodystyle (second generation). If we see a new design in 08 that would be the third generation Viper bodystyle.

Hopefully someone will back me up on this, but there are already 3 generations of Vipers. 92-95 Gen 1, 96-02 Gen 2 (1996 RT's are somewhere in between), followed by the Gen 3, 2003+. The engine itself has already changed 3 times. 400 HP Gen 1 (same as 415 HP 1996 RT/10), 450 HP Gen 2(redesigned with new cooling system), and 500 HP Gen 3.

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I think Gen II lost the side pipes and the hood is different, significant body changes, especially the hood, but I see your point.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only way we will see a new Viper in '08 will be if it gets introduced by the first quarter of '06. History shows that it takes at least 18 months to get a car from that stage to the dealerships, at BEST.

They won't be able to keep it too much of a secret if it is being tested as there are just too many spies out there.

Look at the history though and you will see roughtly 18 months from some form of introduction to production.

Given that there are so few rumors that have any substance and direction, I seriously doubt there is a new Viper coming in 2008.

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GEN 2:

The front fascia is a different unit, different wheel design, door handles, power-actuated glass windows, new interior: the dash was of a different instrument and control layout, redesigned seats, inboard seat belts, air bags, adjustable pedals, new steering wheel. Re-designed chassis, re-designed suspension, a virtually complete redesign of the V-10 engine : more power, lighter, revised fuel-injection system, new head and block castings, no more coolant delivery tubes outside the engine, a lighter forged crankshaft rode in cross-bolted main bearings. New cold-air intake system, new manifolds. Rear-exit exhaust.....among other things. In fact, more than 90 percent of the Viper's parts were changed for the Gen 2.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there doesnt need to be a whole new body style. if dc does have a new one for 08 then that would be awful. all we need is a freshen up, that will be the gen4. like the gen1 to gen2 all they did was a freshen up. my guess (if there smart this will be done).

08 gen4 viper
550 hp, 575 pounds of torque
freshened front facia
freshened rear facia
updated interior
less weight

also introduction of the acr model
625 hp, 650 pounds of torque
traction control switch
more agressive styling
rear brake scoop
new hood (cc hood or carbon concept hood)
a little changed interior

we dont need a new body style all we need is a freshen up. that way we will spend less money, get more hp, and an acr and still have some more money. maybe even enough to go back to le mans :headbang:

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the hardest part of this rumor to accept is the *new platform* assertion. The thread topic and the initial post reflect that incredulity - (how impeachable is the All Par source?) - It seems so far-fetched...

Why wouldn't they build the "Firepower!" type vehicle off of the current 2003-up Viper "ZB" platform, it seems like the argument for cost saving by sharing chassis/platforms would be better served by that approach?

As far as platform flexibility goes, consider that the "LX" platform underpins ALL 300s, Magnums, AND Chargers, so a shared "ZB" seems, in the least, plausible...

I am not sure what the first Viper platform was, (although I bet Mopar Man would know... probably "ZA"?), but that ran for 11 model years. It just seems too soon for the "ZB" platform to go away.

The plant shutdown, the 8.4 liter Gen IV Viper V-10, and the Chrysler badged Hemi Firepower sharing the Viper platform, chassis, wheelbase etc, all makes sense. But an entirely new Viper platform from whole cloth, for 2008 doesn't sound right.

(Unless the ZB and ZC will be producted concurrently, one longer wheelbase than the other, or something else?)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte