Grating of Reverse Gear

TheLotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes when I am going for 5th gear I grate reverse, not a nice sound> I thought there was a lock-out, can anyone help? Thanks

Reaction score
What year is year is your Viper? The '92s(first year)does not have the reverse lockout. Your lockout solenoid is probably defective. Be careful shifting to 5th until you replace it. There may be several owners driving around with this problem, and not realize it. To test the lockout, drive above 5 mph and try to shift into reverse(don't release the clutch pedal!). If it goes in reverse, or grinds, the lockout is not engaging. This happened to my '94. Good luck.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">You don't need to be moving at +5 MPH to test the reverse lockout. A much safer alternative would be to just sit in the car with the ignition off and try to get it into reverse. If you can, you either:

A) Don't have that feature.

B) You do, but it's stuck open.

A properly working reverse solenoid must have power for it to allow reverse access. The solenoid has power only with the ignition on, 0 to 5 MPH. Above that, the solenoid ground is opened and reverse is inaccessible.</FONT f>

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the lock outs are installed in all 94's, mine is a 93 and it doesn't have that feature. I was extremely careful shifting into 5th. At first, I would be slow and scared, now i know the throw and hand placement and I'm more secure. NEED TO DRIVE MORE!!!!EXPERIENCE!!!