GREAT headunit for the RT10

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased the following head unit from Amazon to replace my crappy stock one. The Sony MEXGS810BH
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LY9PPKQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I opted for the unit due to the Blue tooth capabilities and the power output of 40wx4 RMS 100x4 peak. I was going to use a 5 channel amp for my sound system but after hooking up this unit, Im returning the amp and eventually just going with a mono amp to run an 8" footwell sub. The sound on the 3 speakers is AMAZING for a head unit only. Im running a set of mid level JL audio 6.5" compoinents in the front doors and a Prescision Power 6.5" mid bass sub in the stock location.

The Sony unit allows for using the rear speaker as a sub woofer when only hooking up one channel and has all sorts of LPF options for the rear speaker to get the right sound for you. The unit will stream BT audio from an Android phone and even has a smart remote app where you can use your phone to control everything.

This is one of the few times I ordered a product and it far exceeded my expectations...

Here is a Youtube test where they put a similar series headunit on an AMP dyno ad actually see more power RMS than advertised 42watts@4ohms to be exact!!

https://youtu.be/0zkLwQVHxfI

xrealm20

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What JL Components did you end up going with? Also, did you replace the stock wiring to the components?

OP
OP
D

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The JL C2-650 and yes I ran all new Speaker wires amd removed the stock amp.

xrealm20

Viper Owner
Reaction score
cool - how'd you run the wires through to the doors? I'm thinking about doing the same, so if you have pointers/short directions, I'd appreciate it.

OP
OP
D

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cool - how'd you run the wires through to the doors? I'm thinking about doing the same, so if you have pointers/short directions, I'd appreciate it.

Took the little plastic side cowls off, pulled the grommet covering the wiring to the door off at both ends and with a little WD40 to lube it up, I fed the wire through that which was the hardest part. You have to drop the panels under the dash on both sides but thats simple. Then just run the wires behind the radio to the doors. The center speaker was a bit harder, I took the center console off and had to fish the wire up behind the little glove box to here the speaker was. All in all about an hour job start to finish.