Ground height - Lowered?

Dino67

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a new owner of a 2001 RT/10. Is there an easy way to tell if my vehicle has been lowered? Measuring from the bottom of the rocker panel at the driver's door, I have about 5" to the garage floor. Is that about right for stock height? Thanks.

OP
OP
Dino67

Dino67

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks but your answer is not much help since any car will scrape in the right environment.

mgardner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, 5" would be stock. Typical lowering with spring caps only yield about .75 to 1.25" inch. When said and done after lowering the car you should be around 3" from the garage floor up! give or take .5... I'm on Viper 7 and all of mine have been lowered. Also have always had a front splitter to protect from scraping the paint.

65Silverfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who's splitter would you recommend for a Gen II Viper? I am curious how adding a splitter (which basically adds a huge lever arm to the existing chin spoiler) will reduce the damage to the factory chin spoiler paint as the corners still would flex in response to the compression of the now longer chin spoiler and result in damage. I ask because this is the type of damage (outside edge) I usually suffer entering/exiting driveways. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Dino67

Dino67

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, 5" would be stock. Typical lowering with spring caps only yield about .75 to 1.25" inch. When said and done after lowering the car you should be around 3" from the garage floor up! give or take .5... I'm on Viper 7 and all of mine have been lowered. Also have always had a front splitter to protect from scraping the paint.

Hi,
Thanks much for the valuable info. Because of my driveway, I can't go any lower.

WickedSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look under your car. See all sorts of bolts bent out of shape, scrapes on jacking points/subframe/exhaust? Live in terror of speed bumps and unfamiliar driveways? If the answers are all yes, Congratulations, you're truly lowered.

-Wicked

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Jack up your car, put it on jack stands, pull off the wheels, post a photo of your springs/shocks on both front and rear. Easy diagnosis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62