Grundy Insurance...thoughts...comments...problems

White 04 Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am thinking about going with Grundy for my Viper insurance. I have read numerous posts from several years ago about issues with driving to the grocery store not being covered. The viper is not used as a daily driver and I put about 3k to 5k a year on it. I do however use it for errands sometimes. Any new and recent feedback on Grundy would be much apprieciated. Other insurance company ideas and recomendations would be appriciated as well.

forexx4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd also like to hear more about this. Hopefully some one can provide some useful info.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just switched to them within the last month. They ask you to sign a document that indicates you will not take the car to work or run errands. I called to discuss this and they said that as long as you have a second vehicle or daily driver and it's not in "the shop" or that it's operable you will be covered.
Now I do not have any direct experience with this and I recognize the fact that what is written overrules what was stated but if you read the same print in the binder it aludes to this.
The price was right so I went with them......

OP
OP
W

White 04 Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just switched to them within the last month. They ask you to sign a document that indicates you will not take the car to work or run errands. I called to discuss this and they said that as long as you have a second vehicle or daily driver and it's not in "the shop" or that it's operable you will be covered.
Now I do not have any direct experience with this and I recognize the fact that what is written overrules what was stated but if you read the same print in the binder it aludes to this.
The price was right so I went with them......

I have been hearing about this statement....what comes to mind is, as long as nothing happens in the parking lot of the store or work, you could just say you were out cruising. How would they prove you were going to a store for errands or to work?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sorry, guys...but if you cannot get it in writing from the home office, I'd pass...regardless of how appealing the "price" may seem. Cost is one thing, VALUE is another in my opinion.

OP
OP
W

White 04 Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I called to discuss this and they said that as long as you have a second vehicle or daily driver and it's not in "the shop" or that it's operable you will be covered.
QUOTE]

Are you saying your not covered if it is in the shop?

I am also curious if you said you were stock or modified engine

Last edited:

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I called to discuss this and they said that as long as you have a second vehicle or daily driver and it's not in "the shop" or that it's operable you will be covered.
QUOTE]

Are you saying your not covered if it is in the shop?

I am also curious if you said you were stock or modified engine

They want to make sure you are not using the Viper for primary transportation under any circumstances so if the DD goes down you need to rent a car or take the wifes, not the Viper.

My engine is stock, they do ask if it's modified or stock but they wouldn't eliminate you because it's modified, it's an agreed value policy.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Grundy and as long as I can say I am going to another club members home for a (small) club event, I am covered. I am sure I could get everyone to cosign. Agreed value is all good.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, guys...but if you cannot get it in writing from the home office, I'd pass...regardless of how appealing the "price" may seem. Cost is one thing, VALUE is another in my opinion.

I agree. I realize that their (Grundy, Haggarty) insurance is less costly, but there's a reason; it is "collector car" insurance. They will qualify "pleasure cars" under certain circumstances, but you're effectively asking them to reject any claim after which you will be working uphill to get benefits. Make SURE that your usage qualifies based on the written material, not some agent's pandering. They make a great effort to define exclusions so you can bet that your $10,000 claim while "visiting a club member's house for a small club event" is not going to scrutinized.

Seems to be to be a potentially costly price to pay for some savings in premium. :dunno:

Not to be obnoxious, but IMO this goes to, if you can't afford the insurance, then don't buy the car.

insurme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure about Grundy but I am an agent for State Farm and we have many Vipers insured, and regretfully have had many wind up at the salvage yards across the country. We pay retail book value based on condition at the time of the loss, which is 99% of the time more than you can sell the car for on your own.....State Farm has rating for "pleasure use" vehicles that would apply to most all Viper owners.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. I realize that their (Grundy, Haggarty) insurance is less costly, but there's a reason; it is "collector car" insurance. They will qualify "pleasure cars" under certain circumstances, but you're effectively asking them to reject any claim after which you will be working uphill to get benefits. Make SURE that your usage qualifies based on the written material, not some agent's pandering. They make a great effort to define exclusions so you can bet that your $10,000 claim while "visiting a club member's house for a small club event" is not going to scrutinized.

Seems to be to be a potentially costly price to pay for some savings in premium. :dunno:

Not to be obnoxious, but IMO this goes to, if you can't afford the insurance, then don't buy the car.

Ok, how about going to VOI? I can still stop at gas stations and stores along the way and I will be covered. Could be a battle, but I assure you that I would win. Otherwise the collector car insurance industry would be in for a big class action.

BTW, nothing to do with not being able to pay the premium :rolleyes:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
White 04 Mamba asked: "How would they prove you were going to a store for errands or to work?"

With all due respect, I am guessing that you do not know many insurance investigators!!!

When the $takes are high enough, many resources can be brought to bear by an insurer in an attempt to void (or enforce) the particulars of a given policy.

OP
OP
W

White 04 Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score

This has nothing to do with not being able to afford insurance. Not to insult "insurme" above, but the big insurance companies do tend to charge a lot of money especialy after any sort of mishap. My insurance just doubled after a small mishap. I am always looking for a better price and heard about Grundy. I am looking for constructive advice and dealings with Grundy not peoples opinions on me or the people responding in this thread.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with not being able to afford insurance. Not to insult "insurme" above, but the big insurance companies do tend to charge a lot of money especialy after any sort of mishap. My insurance just doubled after a small mishap. I am always looking for a better price and heard about Grundy. I am looking for constructive advice and dealings with Grundy not peoples opinions on me or the people responding in this thread.

I think you misinterpreted City's point on this one. No reflection on you or anyone in the thread, but as a general philosophy 'collector insurance' has very confining parameters for the policy to be payable. In some cases specific enough that the premium savings aren't worth the potential risk of ending up not covered. Everybody likes to save a buck here and there, but if it's done for necessity rather than thrift, then you (not you specifically, just in general, as none of us know your situation) are probably in the wrong car. Not pointed at anyone, just general philosophy on insurance, and I agree 100%.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with not being able to afford insurance. Not to insult "insure" above, but the big insurance companies do tend to charge a lot of money especially after any sort of mishap. My insurance just doubled after a small mishap. I am always looking for a better price and heard about Grundy. I am looking for constructive advice and dealings with Grundy not peoples opinions on me or the people responding in this thread.

My apologies if I've offended. It wasn't a person specific comment (or at least it wasn't intended to be).

If you aren't looking to save money, then I'm at a loss to understand the point of your thread. Grundy and Haggarty are restricted use insurers. They are perfect for exactly what they contract to insure. If you're using a Viper for anything but exactly what they do NOT exclude, then that's the best path. Both insurers have excellent claims records...for the car types and usage that they specifically insure.

But you've already stated an intended use that is, in fact, excluded. So if you can afford appropriate insurance for your use, then why not do exactly that?

Make sure to check on their annual mileage use also. I can't recall the total allowance, but they are also quite restrictive.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Very true but the "language" in their disclaimers is the scary part. Are they going to take your word if your car is vandalized in the parking lot of your local grocery store? There are just too many "conditions" for me and the $450 premium I pay for the unrestricted usage of my car is well worth the cost and my piece of mind. By the way, I have a clean record with no tickets or mishaps.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My apologies if I've offended. It wasn't a person specific comment (or at least it wasn't intended to be).

If you aren't looking to save money, then I'm at a loss to understand the point of your thread. Grundy and Haggarty are restricted use insurers. They are perfect for exactly what they contract to insure. If you're using a Viper for anything but exactly what they do NOT exclude, then that's the best path. Both insurers have excellent claims records...for the car types and usage that they specifically insure.

But you've already stated an intended use that is, in fact, excluded. So if you can afford appropriate insurance for your use, then why not do exactly that?

Make sure to check on their annual mileage use also. I can't recall the total allowance, but they are also quite restrictive.

If I recall correctly, you can adjust your mileage and the premium will reflect accordingly. Cut-offs were like 3k and 5k per year, or something along those lines.

OP
OP
W

White 04 Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score

No offense taken....I just didn't want the thread to get off track like so many do here after people leave their opinions.

I actualy DID say I was looking to save some money as I always do. Here is the deal. My insurance just went from $1200 a year to $2500 a year. I think that is rediculous.

Can I afford it? Yes.

Do I want to pay that much for insurance? No

With all that said I went to Grundy's site and filled out the online form. I said I drove 3k to 5k a year and said I would drive the car for errands. I even put a speacial comment about driving errands in the message box provided. I received a quote for $600 a year. Now I am trying to see if Grundy is the real deal or not. Who could blame me for trying to save $2000 on insurance?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense taken....I just didn't want the thread to get off track like so many do here after people leave their opinions.

I actualy DID say I was looking to save some money as I always do. Here is the deal. My insurance just went from $1200 a year to $2500 a year. I think that is rediculous.

Can I afford it? Yes.

With all that said I went to Grundy's site and filled out the online form. I said I drove 3k to 5k a year and said I would drive the car for errands. I even put a speacial comment about driving errands in the message box provided. I received a quote for $600 a year. Now I am trying to see if Grundy is the real deal or not. Who could blame me for trying to save $2000 on insurance?

Not I! I'd just want to make damn sure that however you use the car, your policy will cover you. If you've done your homework and have confidence in your policy, then more power to ya!

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Can I afford it? Yes.

$1,900 a year :omg: sure would pay for a lot of "excluded use" groceries! :rolaugh:

OP
OP
W

White 04 Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not I! I'd just want to make damn sure that however you use the car, your policy will cover you. If you've done your homework and have confidence in your policy, then more power to ya!

I couldn't agree more and that is why I'm feeling things out here before signing. I am leading away from them now after reading the posts here.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know there's a few insurance agent members. Maybe a few can chime in here for your business? Insurme maybe? Steve Katz (ACR Steve) is an agent and has help many too.

OP
OP
W

White 04 Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know there's a few insurance agent members. Maybe a few can chime in here for your business? Insurme maybe? Steve Katz (ACR Steve) is an agent and has help many too.

You just read my mind.....only thing is Insurme is in AL and I'm in California. I know with my real estate ventures, agents don't typicaly cross state lines. I can only assume automobile insurance agents are the same.

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You just read my mind.....only thing is Insurme is in AL and I'm in California. I know with my real estate ventures, agents don't typicaly cross state lines. I can only assume automobile insurance agents are the same.

This is true but the agents listed above might be able to point you in the direction to one of their colleagues or better yet be able to call out and get you help from someone in your area concerning getting you a policy. Good luck and hope it works out.

OP
OP
W

White 04 Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is true but the agents listed above might be able to point you in the direction to one of their colleagues or better yet be able to call out and get you help from someone in your area concerning getting you a policy. Good luck and hope it works out.

Thanks.....I'm still open to hear any stories people have concerning experiances with Grundy.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
How about Leland West. That's who I use. Agreed value on the car including mods. Last year I insured my S/C 06 and the mods were covered. Not good if you put high mileage on the car though. My mileage limit is 5000 per year. If you are going to go over that, you can call them and they will work with you. My new car is through them also, and I can drive where I want, when I want. Cost me $900 a year. Just a thought.

OP
OP
W

White 04 Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How about Leland West. That's who I use. Agreed value on the car including mods. Last year I insured my S/C 06 and the mods were covered. Not good if you put high mileage on the car though. My mileage limit is 5000 per year. If you are going to go over that, you can call them and they will work with you. My new car is through them also, and I can drive where I want, when I want. Cost me $900 a year. Just a thought.

Thanks....I will try them...I had a max of 5000 miles with my other carrier too and I never exceeded that. Have you ever had any issues with them?

Got a really good quick quote for a resonable price. Anyone had any claims against them and if so how did they perform? This company could be the ticket I was looking for.

Last edited:

B SNAKE 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the agreed value part state farm & many others do not offer that! I'm not willing to take depreciation value

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had Grundy insurance for over four years now.

To get it I had to have full view pictures of the vehicles, a copy of the regular insurance on my wife's car and my truck to show that each of the licensed drivers residing there had dd cars.

Then I filled out the application which identified the type of structure the vehicles would be garaged in. It included the type of locks, fire suppression and type of construction.

All this goes with a signed agreement on how the vehicle will be used. No going the the strip or track. No errands. But going on vacations, going to car shows out of town. Going to restaurants is okay.

For me the limitation are okay. They have not been an issue.

The most savings come from the liability coverage. It is only one fee and it covers all the cars. I have the Viper and three Corvettes. The annual liab. fee is $30 period.

The coverage of 100K lib. no deductable comp and collision and agreed on value.

All four cars cost me under $1,400/year.

I have always had good service. You do get a human when you call in for changes or questions.

It does take about a week to get hooked up the first time. After that just a phone call gets a car dropped or added. But, you must follow up with pictures when a new car is added.

Grundy does not have any limitations on annual mileage.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have mine with american hobbist you can put 5 k a year on your viper i have $50,000 for $800 a year

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang