GTS drag racing????

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is running very well. 128 mph in the quater mile is smoking. Track prep is everything. Poor track prep = poor times. Seeing that the other cars were not launching well, the track may be the culprit.

OP
OP
G

GTSGUY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Track is not very good, but when I try to warm the tires up, it does last too long because I cannot lock the front wheels, so this is probably part of the problem. How do you guys do to warm up the tires without locking the front wheels. If I could do it properly I'm sure I would get better results.

By the way I went back to the track and same results with lower tire psi and I lost a few mph, different day different conditions???

I need to get the car in the mid 11s at least. Will try until I get it right.

Guy

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Buy a linelock from a hp store to warm up your tires.

If your mph went down was that due to less tire spin or less hp?

Any video you can post? 60' time went up or down?

Dragon rider's time and hp is good in the post above yours. With more hp, you should be able to go faster.

OP
OP
G

GTSGUY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree dragon's time is very good but his 0-60ft is 1.78 and I cannot manage to get lower than 2.05 so far, very bad.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A cheap way to warm the rears without using a line lock is to back up in the water box, pull just out of the water rev up to about 4k rpms and drop the clutch. Move your foot from the clutch pedal to the break peadal and apply just enough brake pressure to keep the car from moving forward all while keeping your foot on the gas. Once the tires get hot, the car will start moving forward slightly. That's when you know they are ready. It feel weird at first, but it does work.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like previously mentioned, lower the tire pressure.

Although the ZR1 trapped around 3.5mph lower than you, it appears he lost due to his launch. I'm a horrible drag strip driver, and even I don't run 2.3 60' times. You were .253 quicker to the 60' mark, yet won by .232 seconds. What confuses me is that he was catching up despite being slower at the end. Looks like one of you may have botched a shift. Driver error, power advantage, whatever.... you still WON! :2tu:

Now lower that pressure and knock a second+ off of that time.

ha ha ha...and actually the record for a stock gen2 is 11.61 at 122 mph..still humming along pretty good even all the years later...

To the OP..Congrats on the ZR1 kill. That must have been a rush!!!!

Who said he won? Figures don't state the R/T or the "L/R first", don't think the OP has mentioned if he won that round, or if it was in elliminations or not.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought he said he ran a 12.0 at 127 and the zr1 ran a 12.2 at 123....seems like he won to me..good kill op

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought he said he ran a 12.0 at 127 and the zr1 ran a 12.2 at 123....seems like he won to me..good kill op

Not if the z crossed the line first.
Even if he ran a 12.0, he was probably dialed in for an 11.80 (?), if the vette was dialed for a 12.3 he would have left first by .5 sec.
(stay with me now)
The Viper has now got to make it past the vette without getting to the finnish in under 11.8 seconds. We know he can't do that, (not that day, anyway) and cannot do it without breaking out, there's no way to win. So, even though the Viper runs a quicker ET, the vette can still win by making it to the finnish first as he runs closer to his dial. (again, we're making assumtions here about the dial-ins)
He's mentioned that the track felt slippery and that he spun, (we also know the z has TC so that car's R/Ts seem high(?)) and we know his R/Ts in the Viper weren't great, maybe that's why he hasn't included them. If the vette had the hole shot by a couple of tenths, the vette would win. I'm not deffending the vette (I won't even use capital letters when refering to it) but the whole story has not been told here, and there's no way to claim a "kill" has occured. That's all.
As I stated before, he hasn't mentioned if this was in elims or TT or what, or if he won this pass or not. If it was "heads up", then there's a chance it was a win, but it's still unlikely given the traction issues he was having. I would have assumed the vette had the hole shot with the TC on by at least a tenth, and maybe more. That seems odd, but I haven't any experience with the z or TC, if it doesn't help at the track what use is it?!
The only way to tell is by looking at the time slip. If it turns out that it was a win, I'll be the first to congratulate him, but the statement above will stand.

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Although it may not be clear about the first day, he posted ...

"That day I raced a Nissan GTR, a Z06 2003, and won all races but it is only because my Viper has more power not because of the driver"

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point, Ted. I did see that, but why not post the slip? If nothing else but to shut me up!:D
While on the subject, is that a typical 60' for a zo6? Seems pretty pokey for a car with TC ? but the last thing I had down the 1320 did 60' times in the mid 1.20s.

OP
OP
G

GTSGUY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For sure I won against the ZR1 by at least two car lenghts, I believe that we have a different track, it is an old airport and we are drag racing on ciment, so it could be the reason behind our slow ET to 60 ft, or it's the driver. Anyways I will keep trying until I get better results.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yessss..it's a confirmed, 10 year old viper kill over a brand spanking new ZR1..

who'd have thought...

he he he..

Youve done good HAUSSELHOUGH...Youve done good

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cement is best ... and about the equal as dirt if it's polished.

Don't they spray Rosin before you run?

I used to race at Bremerton raceway and they used an OLD/emergency runway. That caused them to get a lot of extra rules and regulations. Good chance you're track is in the same situation.

Here's a link that came up when I searched Traction compound. We used it for drag racing and it became illegal because it's toxic. If you can find some for sale that could help solve your problem?
VP RACING NAMED OFFICIAL FUEL AND OFFICIAL TRACTION COMPOUND OF CECIL COUNTY DRAGWAY

another one - VHT Traction compound - F150online Forums

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lower the tire pressure to 17. I am running those same tires, and you can definitely get them to hook. I ran a best 60' of 1.36 on those tires.

OP
OP
G

GTSGUY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was at the track today and I think I found my problem the clutch is done. This explains my poor results. So will change the clutch and should I change the flywheel also??? What clutch is the best???

Thanks

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man I know you are gripping for strAWS HERE AND i KNOW THE FEELING..bUT 127-128 MPH IN A GTS ALL ENGINE IS PRETTY AWESOME..

YOUR TIMES WERNT GREAT DO TO TRACK CONDITIONS AND DRIVING..

While your doing the clutch go ahead and add a light weight flywheel..you can find them brand new all day long on Ebay for 250-400$

I did one on my 99 and one on my 2003 and I love how the cars drive with them as well as 20 pounds less rotational weight

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I bought my CF clutch from JonB (partsrack.com) he was having a special on Chromemoly flywheels and my new clutch is made by Spec. (rated at 750hp). I have a Fidenza aluminium flywheel in my GTS and changing the clutch meant that stock flyweels need grinding, used chromemoly means grinding, and on my Fidenza I bought a "friction kit" which is the thin ring of steel that is the friction material for the clutch to ride on, with attachment bolts = $40+ shipping.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang