GTS rear hatch struts

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well they wont hold the glass up... Is this a common problem?

I'm guessing easiest thing to do is replace them?

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
got mine off ebay. i know jonB wont like my answer, but thats what most of us have done.

Reaction score
We try to stock the new ones and they really are not that bad $$$, but you can always find something for less if you look. If you do want to patronize a sponsor though we are all here to help. :2tu:

Reaction score
Thank you I have 3 cars sitting there in my shop waiting for them! Of course I won't be there for a week so I will let the guys know they are coming!

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well they wont hold the glass up... Is this a common problem?

I'm guessing easiest thing to do is replace them?

That was the first thing I did on my '97 due to having the same problem.

I ordered a set of OEM struts from Tator. Took my incompetent self about 5 minutes to remove the old ones and install the new ones. It was pretty cool to turn the key in the back and have the hatch pop all the way up. :D

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got mine from NAPA Auto Parts a few years ago, exact match as OEM. They'll be able to cross reference the part # printed on the OEM struts.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My posts are typically worthless.. but just as an fyi.. if you flip the gas strut mounting, such as the cylinder end vs. the shaft end, you'll get a different result when lifting or closing the hatch. There is oil in the strut working like a shock absorber, but it only works one way (because oil settles in the cylinder valve end due to gravity, since it reverses in closed or open position), either to dampen the lift (so the hatch doesn't flip up suddenly) or to dampen the closing (to avoid a hard slam) depending on how you install it. Just something to be aware of for gas strut installation if anyone didn't know..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960