GTS TO SRT10

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
After 8 GTS Coupes, I finally gave in and took the plunge for a new 2004 Black SRT10. It was delivered yesterday, and I was able to put about 100 miles on it today. (BIG THANK YOU TO BILL P. Excellent transaction as always)
If you dont mind me rambling on, I wanted to make a few observations and ask a question or two. Uncharacteristically I spent 0 time researching the SRT10 before I bought it. I spent some time this week in a friends 03 SRT10 and I was hooked.

1) The GTS and SRT10 are two totaly different animals. My GTS feels like a luxo ride compared to the SRT10. ( I am DEINATELY NOT complaining )
The SRT10 seems to have the ride I have wanted for the last 7 years.
2) I now have worldclass brakes!!!
3) The interior is laid out pretty damn good for an american muscle car. Great idea adding an oil temperature gage!
4) AWESOME seats!
5) The adjustable dead pedal is a welcome addition.
6) For a convertable, side and rear visability is pretty good.
7) I could do without the red starter button.
8) The runflats feel a little slippery, the temp here is only 55 deg. maybe when the roads are hot traction will get better. I NEVER ran it up past 3000 rpm and the tires still wanted to break loose. (29 psi cold)
9) I had the Corsa Track ( Sport ) exhaust installed. A lot better than stock, but still not muscular enough sounding for a 500hp. car. What was really weird is that the more miles I put on the car today the better it sounded. Could the computer be compensating for the new exhaust?
10)At idle the tach needle seems to flicker maybe +/- 50rpm, a kinda lopey idle. I like it, I was just surprised after owning a couple creampuff cars, I thought Dodge changed it for emissions.
11) During stoplight to stoplight driving, the car never got over 200 deg. Gotta love that.
12) Is the clutch different on the SRT10? There was definately a learning curve involved with using this one.
13) The SRT10 seems to be a much more agile and forgiving car. I feel like I can whip this thing around like a rag doll.
14) My very technical seat of the pants feel seems to tell me the GTS has more low end torque. Like I mentioned above, I never climbed over 3k rpms, but the GTS feels stronger.
15) I am very happy with the fit and finish of this car. The build quality looks to be very good. All the gaps are uniform and the paint job is great.
16) Do I get a top boot? If so, who do I contact to get one.

These are just my opinions and I just wanted to let everyone know, so far I am extremely happy with the SRT10! If anyone has any suggestions or comments, please feel free to send me an e-mail.

Ps. My car was one of the ones involved with the cam bolt issue and mine was checked with 18 miles on it and the bolts WERE properly torqued, I feel better knowing the car was checked before I took delivery. If for no other reason, I know the idler pulley bolts along with the other pieces and parts are now definately torqued to the proper specs.
:2tu:

JoeBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my Silver '04 a week ago from Bill P to replace my 98 GTS. With the 3.73 gears, aluminum flywheel and Belanger headers with Corsa Track exhaust without cross overs that Woodhouse installed the low end torque kicks and the sound is perfect while the interior temp is much cooler. You are going to love the SRT but consider regearing to 3.55 or 3.73 which is much sweeter than stock 3.07.

Mach500

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome to SRT-10 club(?)

More you drive it, more powerful it gets. Definitely change the rear end; makes the car heck of a lot more fun. :2tu:

Do be careful, however, when shifting from 3rd to 4th at WOT.

Jeremy Bigham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe Bob,
How does your car cruise at highway speeds with the 3.73's? That's a question I have 3.73's vs. 3.55's. I like the idea of 3.73's but want to make my Houston to Dallas treks with out too much strain on the car...TIA

JoeBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5th gear is usable highway no strain rarely use 6th. In fact the reverse is true the 3.07 gear is a bit too tall for the stock SRT I think. I thought 3.73 whould be too much but Bill P said go with it and I must admit he was right. Accelerates out of 2500 rpm much better than the wife's SRT with 3.07 and when going up hill low rpm easily accelerates to blow others off the road without down shifting. In town driving is soooo much better going to upgrade the wife's car ASAP. The best mod per dollar so far on the SOTP meter. :2tu:

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: GTS TO SRT10

Enjoy your new SRT-10! As above mentioned, the diff gear change is a great mod. The factory 3.07’s seemed to get in the way of feeling the true power of 505 cubes, especially down low. I decided to go with 3.55's and couldn't be more satisfied with the results. Don't forget an MGW first strike racing knob so you can ditch the factory oar. Have fun. :D

TimCottingham

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: GTS TO SRT10

Hi Brian..

I have found the SRT-10 to be less nervous at speed. The GTS I had would change direction by moving your eyes from the center of the road... I just got back from the Big Bend Open Road Race with the SRT-10 (check out the posted pix). The car feels like it's on rails - even in 6th gear 2200 RPM at 125 MPH, it feels like your out on a Sunday drive. Last year in the GTS I would get "arm pump" from hanging on so tightly.
Just wait till it gets 3000 miles on it - It loosens up and just flys.. You'll love it more every time you drive it.

Tim Cottingham
Round Rock, Texas