Had my butt handed to me...

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was coming back from the Dream Cruise this weekend and I noticed a guy riding my @ss. Being the smug punk that I am, I told my girlfriend riding shotgun "I take care of this little annoyance" and I downshifted.

Imagine my dismay when the lights didn't disappear off my bumper.

He cuts around some traffic and I notice that this porsche doesn't look like most porsches.

He gets up with me and asks if I had it floored, which I said no (it was mostly true
smile.gif
), so I decided we should go again.

I scoot around an oncoming car, drop to first and run it all the way to the rev limiter. I was so distracted with the fact that he was right on my tail still that I bounced off the limiter. Into second it was and again I ran it all the way up. Bouncing of the limiter in second (the second time I've ever hit the limiter by the way), he almost rear ended me because he was pulling so hard.

After that he made a turn and went home.

All I can say is that was one FAST car. I dislike Porsches, but I sure wouldn't mind a shiny new GT2...

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be doing something wrong. I raced GT2 from 40-140MPH. It was 2 of us and he was alone. He could not pull on me at all. We were even.

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corect me if I'm wrong, but the TT with all wheel drive is probably faster to 100. It's above that speed, however, that the fun really begins in the Viper. At RoadAtlanta, the TTs beat me to about 80-100, but in third and fourth, it isn't close. In the braking zone, however, they're right back again. Maybe I should see Brembo, Stop Tech or AP about that !

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
I'm convinced 95% of Viper drivers granny shift <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*** is 'granny shift'?

RickL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were some awesome cars at the Dream Cruise! I saw several Vipers, Ferraris, a few Lamborghinis, and a new Rolls convertible. Did you happen to be parked in front of the cemetary on the lawn?

-Rick

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1badgts,

You are correct. But what makes the Viper so special is its road racing abilities, IMO. Sure, it is a decent drag car as well, but it was not designed for this purpose, as you know. The cars you mentioned with heavy mods will beat the Viper in a drag race, but ANYTHING else, 'forget about it....'. I wish more Viper owners would understand this... As a matter of fact, with $10,000 I could acquire a car that could destroy 95% of all Vipers in a straight line, 1/4 mile race. Been there, done that.... Gets boring reaaaalllll quick. I'll keep the Viper.

My .02

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG:
Was it this guy......
supergrin.gif

You must be registered for see images

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That looks like the guy I was talking about and his girlfriend I assumed. I don't know the guy, but I am taking a break in front of Birmingham Imports, they sell used high end import sports cars like Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and Porsches. Anyways, this guy gets in a Porsche twin turbo in front of the dealership and can't get out because a bunch of people have camped out with lawn chairs in front of the store. He asked politely if this one guy could move 2 of his chairs so he could get out. The guy with the chairs says in a smart asp tone, well you sure picked a heck of a place to park. Then the guy in the Porsche said, look I own this building and all these parking spots are mine, so I'm doing you a favor by letting you sit here. I thought it was hilarious. The girlfriend (or wife) looked pretty cute, and it also looked like she forgot to wear her bra. Oh my.

bounce.gif
bounce.gif

I'll post some pics if my cousin gets them developed soon. He took more pics of babes than he did of the cars.
supergrin.gif

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brett, was that the car that was running in on you?

Nice car no doubt.

Don't worry a week from today and we'll be knocking on 11's (ummmmm right?), after spending a summer behind the wheel in out cars!

I agree with you 1Bad, any car can run, but keep in mind most of the time it's with 4.10's and slicks on the street for the 5.0 Gn crowd. I will beat any car with 4.10 gears, any car, it's just a matter of when, and yes it's usually after the 1/4 mile if the thing has over 400 horse, but that's okay, we can always add power!

BTW I was busy counting heads with full sets of teeth at MIS this weekend for the NASCAR race (think I found a few sets), please feel me in on the hottiness factor so I can forgo next years invite to the MIS sausagefest!!!!!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Also- Don't give him the benefit of a draft!

Make him plow through the air on his own, without drafting you.

Once back in my Vette days, I was racing a 300ZX twin turbo, and I was pulling ahead. (Whoo-hoo! I know its sad, but that was my pre-Viper life)

We were doing about 130 neck and neck at the time, me a couple of car lengths ahead, and slowly pulling him, and I thought it would be a neat idea to move in front of him, and as soon as I did, he accelerated into the back of me, and slung shot right up on my ***.

The lesson is to not give any body a break, and don't let 'em draft you.

(But it seems clear that he was modded, because even a GT2 doesn't have a huge advantage over you, if its' stock)

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2tall:
I was coming back from the Dream Cruise this weekend and I noticed a guy riding my @ss. Being the smug punk that I am, I told my girlfriend riding shotgun "I take care of this little annoyance" and I downshifted.

Imagine my dismay when the lights didn't disappear off my bumper.

He cuts around some traffic and I notice that this porsche doesn't look like most porsches.

He gets up with me and asks if I had it floored, which I said no (it was mostly true
smile.gif
), so I decided we should go again.

I scoot around an oncoming car, drop to first and run it all the way to the rev limiter. I was so distracted with the fact that he was right on my tail still that I bounced off the limiter. Into second it was and again I ran it all the way up. Bouncing of the limiter in second (the second time I've ever hit the limiter by the way), he almost rear ended me because he was pulling so hard.

After that he made a turn and went home.

All I can say is that was one FAST car. I dislike Porsches, but I sure wouldn't mind a shiny new GT2...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya see, ya should have got the SRT after all... and this wouldn't have happened
smile.gif

Or you could get a shift light and make sure you learn how to shift quickly. I'm convinced 95% of Viper drivers granny shift - ESPECIALLY the ones that think they don't. Shifting right will put the power down consistently and is good for 2-3mph at the track. Ever wonder who the guys are runnin 120+ MPH in stock cars? The ones that can shift!
smile.gif

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've only been reading a few days now and this thread got my interest. I found it funny because my current car, a '93 TA with DOT approved tires will out drag a stock Viper no problem. I've never run NOx successfully but once dialed in I figured to give any modded viper a decent run. From the curb my car does not look nearly as quick as it is, but the wife won't ride in it anymore due to the noise, the cage, the ride and the smell of the exhaust. 72# injectors tend to make it idle a bit on the rich side.

The funny part is that I tire of all the dealings with the mods and want a fast car. In the end, my current car is still a TA which in '93 got a few looks. Today.....it's a dime a dozen fbody.

I'm still looking to get a Viper instead. Something other than the kid van to go out on a date in
wink.gif

Carl

OP
OP

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's see here...

-No mods other than exhaust and tubes

-It was a GT2

-Yes, I do shift like a granny.

-Good point about drafting.

-It was a guy probably around early-mid 30's, w/o girly in tow. I saw him at Jax in West Bloomfield a couple weeks back (while in my Escalade of course - sheesh).

-Where did you see the Ferraris et al during the cruise? I saw 1 Viper (other than mine Yellow ACR w/ Big a$$ wing) and 1 old testarossa. I was on the lookout for the lambo's etc... but I didn't see them. Then again I was driving, not sitting/walking, so I probably saw less.

-It's next monday (6 days) or 13 days?

As far as the cruise itself, I burned about $250 cash in tires while smoking 'em. Must say the Viper really draws the people. Kids jumped and down, pointed and yelled about was the Viper. A firetruck read my license plate out loud over their speaker (incorrectly of course). Had a couple older guys ask how much, and all the big crowds went crazy for the tire smokin. Corvettes, muscle cars, all kind of cars all around, the only car that they saw was a big red Viper.

Gotta love it.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 Tall, ain't it great? I'm from your area, lived in Royal Oak, West Bloomfield, Birmingham, and Clarkston. Enjoy it, you are living in the hot car capital of the world and you got THE car, I would kill to have the Viper in that town for one night!

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2tall:

-Where did you see the Ferraris et al during the cruise? I saw 1 Viper (other than mine Yellow ACR w/ Big a$$ wing) and 1 old testarossa. I was on the lookout for the lambo's etc... but I didn't see them. Then again I was driving, not sitting/walking, so I probably saw less.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brett, I went out on Woodward Monday and Thursday of last week with my Viper. I left it at home for Friday and Saturday because Thursday was just nuts and the traffic was heavier than the real day of the cruise on Saturday. Saw a yellow Ferrari 360 Modena Berlinetta and a silver 360 Modena Spyder Thursday night and a nice Aston Martin DB7. I stayed behind the yellow Ferrari for about 30 minutes and it sure got people excited. On Saturday I saw a black and a red Ferrari 355 spyder. A couple of older Ferrari 308's and 328's. A couple of 360 Modenas. A Lamborghini Diablo. The $375,000 Saleen S7, parked of course. The Viper GTSR concept car. The new GT-40. The old GT-90 concept car. A few newer Rolls Royces and Bentley's. A few Porsche 996's. A bunch of older De Tomaso Panteras. A bunch of Vipers of course. Probably a bunch more I forgot about plus of course all the old muscle cars and antiques.

I have learned just to keep my Viper at home for the day of the cruise. I see a lot more and enjoy myself more just walking around. I took the Viper to the cruise day 3 years ago when I first got the Viper and I'll never do it again. I can't stand going 20 feet, stopping for 20 seconds, going another 20 feet. I don't think my clutch likes it either. Plus everyone and his brother are trying to get you to do burnouts. Which I did a few times until the Birmingham police gave me a nice lecture.

Was that your red Viper parked by the cemetery between 12 and 13 mile or did you drive the whole time? I also saw someone park their Viper GTS in the hospital parking structure. Something I would never do-leave my Viper unattended with 1.7 million people roaming the streets. It only takes 1 with a key to ruin your day.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're up at Milan this coming Monday, the 26th, hope you guys are still in, I'm bringing a video camera and someone to tape every run, maybe we'll beat someone, even just once!!
smile.gif

Tpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The silver Porsche in the photos is not a GT2. All GT2's have yellow callipers... That's a TT with a body it, may have some mods... A stock GT2 will take a stock or slightly moded Viper but that's why you pay the extra $100K
smile.gif

Roy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_