Halltech Viper Twin Turbo Anyone?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Pretty impressive looking, but I gotta ask, how do you handle the underhood heat?!</FONT f>

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks beautiful! Good luck
smile.gif

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I can say is that Kenny Duttweiler? and Haltech? Those are some impressive names. $20K? Thats still a lot of $$

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there would be interest. Cost to me depends on power output. I would pay 20K for 850RWHP +. But that is the limit.
You can do heads and cam and a 200 shot for less than 20K and have close to 800 at the tires now.

Regards,

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info Jim.
To get us near 800 at the tires we are going to need 900 at the crank. In addition...I can not speak for John, but I do believe the way they get 800+ at the tires is with the additional flow in the heads and the increased exhaust duration with the upgraded cam. I think you guys are on the right track. Now 15K for 750 - 800 at the crank is not bad. If you can do it.

Good luck!

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
batbon it looks nice.

Stock Vipers are at 400 to 450 stock unless I am COMPLETELY wrong I am sure someone will let us know.
Venom Pkg is way over priced with the technology and pricing out their now.

50% increase of say a 430 HP would put it at about 645HP for 20K which would make it pretty expensive $93 per HP. 215 HP for $20,000

A ******** NX kit can give you an extra 150 HP for a few grand.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks sweet. I cannot however see how that would even FIT in the engine bay of a viper.!!!
Sweet looking corvette though!!

Gerald

John Moore

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It can be done. To bring the headers over the top just remove the A/C, coolant expansion tank, steering shaft and power steering pump. Then when you dive under to return the exhaust to the rear simply remove the oil filter and lines and since there's no A/C you won't have to worry about those lines. If you don't like that scenario, you could opt to keep the "accessories" and use 3/4 inch primaries and a 1&1/2 inch exhaust.
laugh.gif
Obviously, I'm kidding about removing all that stuff but they will all, at the very least, need to be redesigned or moved to other locations. This is one reason why Axis engineered my system to go below. The other was heat and its proximity to the hood over the long haul, especially if there's to be any time trials, driver's ed, road racing, or anything more than just short bursts of fun. I must admit, if you want to show your wares there's nothing more ballsy than a pair of turbos crowning the engine compartment.
cool.gif

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken Duttweiler has done turbo motors for years, he is a true marvel when it comes to building and tuning turbo cars. If Ken has anything to do with this project i would LOVE TO ORDER ONE...

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you will have many people interested in the TT but for $20K it seems quite expensive. I would like something like that but for $20K I will pass.

BTW John Moore how is your TT system going, haven't heard any recent updates. Thanks

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great!
I agree with the majority here, in that $20k is still alot of money, but $15k or less with 700+Hp would interest me
good luck!

rgifford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,

Seems you are looking to expanded business to the viper board, not enough business on the corvette forum?? Got to wonder with the prices of your intakes. I hope you are going to invent a new intake for the viper, guys will be lining up to turn their snakes into wet/dry vacs.
laugh.gif
Good luck with with the turbo.

Robert

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's obviously good interest level in what you propose. We'll all look forward to hearing about your progression. Although people are hesitating about price, if you make a TT for the Viper and can deliver it at or under $20K, they'll buy it, they'll all buy it.

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure there are several that are interested, but I do agree 20K will eliminate a large percentage including myself.
Supercharging was a dream for many, but not financialy feasable for most until Sean Roe broke the barrier at 5900 or so. There is a huge interest now and a waiting list. While it is nowhere near the hp, it seems to be at a price point that many will actually spend it and not talk about it.
My plan is to hopefully have Sean's stage 2 kit at end of summer and run with maybe 600hprw with the BTR nitrous to get me into the 800hp range. Cost is estimated about 10 to 11 grand. If a twin turbo set up was close to that I would do it instead. At 13 to 14 grand I would still do it. At 20 grand I'm out. Just a price sticking point for me.
While it appears the TT guys are well known in the auto community, I myself would give a little bit of and edge to Sean Roe and BTR who are well known and respected in the viper community already.
If I were to announce a TT , I would do it quickly as many will be getting the SC setups and once they do will not have the $$ to jump to a TT because they have already committed whatever play money to mods for it already.
Just my 2 cents

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron:
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Pretty impressive looking, but I gotta ask, how do you handle the underhood heat?!</FONT f>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, I would have the same reservations about the under the hood heat generated especially so close to the DUAL throttle bodies of the Viper (I would imagine the turbos would have to be almost right next to the throttle bodies). No matter how much ceramic coating you have on the turbos, I cannot imagine that there would not be a radiant heat issue to some degree nullifying much of the benefits of the intercooler. This might be good for drag racing and limited air to water intercooler applications. Has anyone ever used an OTT system for a road racing application? Are you doing an air to water intercooler or air to air? Who makes your intercooler cores? I have seen the top loaded turbos on drag cars and just assumed that since Axis and Lingenfelter put the turbos down low that was the way to do it. What are the other benefits/advantages to the top load turbo setup? Also, what would make this setup cost so much more than the Vette setup? I know there are two more header tubes to make and two more injectors to monitor, but what else makes it cost more?Paolo Castellano

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that if one is going to invest $15-20K for a turbo or S/C, then a good set of rods and pistons is in order.

Venolia should be able to make any kind of flat top for about $55 apiece and Crower should be able to make rods for about $100 each.

Any idea how easy it is to swap pistons with the engine in the car?

With this in mind, get the HP up to 900+.

750 HP is still within the realm of NA.

SlowCreamPuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm... I wonder who is the crazy guy who contacted Ken.
redface.gif

Nah, it couldn't have been me.
tongue.gif

Jim,

I believe there is interest in a system like you described. I don't know much about your company, but you might get so busy with the C5 TT once you are done and you won't have time for the Viper system.
frown.gif

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's good to see other tuners joining in for turbo's and superchargers, especially highly respected names. I hope I'm not jumping the gun here but I know for a fact that Doug Levin Motorsports is building a turbo car for production status. So far Doug is projecting a price range intro of under $14,000 for a twin turbo Viper. I've asked him to be one of the many to be included. If it's anything like my SC car It will be an excellent performance car!

Max Moran

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a darned thing from this guy. I bought a Halltech intake (used) and it DID turn my C5 into a wet/dry vac. He gave me instructions on how to install it after I described the intake I bought. It looked a little funny, but Jim Hall assured me that hydro-lock was not a problem and that it had never happened with one of his intakes. Then when I hydro-locked my car in a 2 inch deep puddle, he accused me of lying and said it couldn't happen. I sent him pictures of me standing in the puddle and ones of water dripping out of the intake immediately after the occurrence. Still he said I was a liar. I made repeated attempts to contact him and he was always conveniently out of the office when I told the secretary who I was. When I finally got him on the phone by using a fake name, he hung up on me. With a little investigation, I found that there were many people that had had similar experiences with Jim Hall. I can't believe that I didn't trust my own better judgement and take it off when I saw how stupid the design was, but I didn't and it cost me. This reminds me of another shiester that EVEN has the same initials. Granted, it's on a much smaller scale than Hennessey, but a crook is still a crook and He'll always be one.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,

Please keep us posted on your progress and welcome to the Viper Forum. The more competition the better.

I am one of your Corvette customers and have been very happy with your products and support.

Anthony

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim if you team up with Ken Duttweiler i believe many turbo car owners will be very interested in your product. The quality of workmanship i see with the vette set up is impressive. Great to have more turbo manufactures on board, WELCOME TO THE VIPER WORLD AND MUCH SUCCESS.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever. Chemical.....yata yata. BS! This is the intake that was commonly known as the sidewinder. It was designed to either be used as an under-hood unit or a bottom breather. When the unit was shipped to me, that's what the guy told me it was. When I called Jim Hall and described it to a t, that is what he told me it was. He actually gave me very detailed instructions on how to cut the hole etc. It fit just like he said it should. The hammer was stuck in the water to show how shallow it was. My motor was totally stock, had never had nitrous and had about 20,000 miles on it. I was idling into a parking lot and it blew. Rods don't generally fly through the block at idle for no reason. Mr. Hall, you DID screen your calls, and you sir are the liar. Sure you have many happy customers, but you brush off and ignore the "lucky" few of us that had severe problems. All I asked is that your insurance company investigate it. I sent you pictures of the block, the water, and everything else I could think of. I even offered to have it torn down by a dealership at his expense and if hydrolock was not the cause, I was to pay for it. Ultimately it was my fault for using the piece of crap, but if he would have just admitted the problem and apologized I would have been happy. Just ask around on the vette forum, a few guys will chime in and tell you all about this guy. Oh well, hind sight is 20/20, but I guarantee you won't see anything made by Halltech on my car or any of my friends cars if I can prevent it.

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,
Welcome to the board. There are many tuners going into the turbocharging business on vipers. Honestly, I am a loyal DLM customer and always will be. DLM is completing a twin turbo system for viper owners to install themselves. I know it would be a top choice for viper owners with Doug's supertuner status. Hopefully your product will be as good as your intentions are. It's exciting to more competition in the viper tuning biz!

Best of Luck,
Chuck B.

SlowCreamPuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plus, I am not sure how suitable my car is for Jim's project.

I haven't had a chance to talk about the details with Ken. I am still in the dream stage.

I was definitely thinking lowering the compression. Different crank, rods, pistons, etc. Fuel system, engine management system, etc, etc...

My project is definitely not going to be your bolt-on type of application.

I will keep you guys posted though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang