"Hanging Idle" problem fixed (Finally)

Reaction score
\"Hanging Idle\" problem fixed (Finally)

I,like many, have experienced a "hanging idle" when the engine would not settle out after hard running. Sometimes the engine idle would stick at 2000 RPM or more. I replaced the idle control motor, and even thought the MoPar Performance computer was screwed up for awhile. Nothing seemed to work. Then last week, I read a post by John Hennessey (flame guards up) about using a vacuum hose with a restrictor in it for the idle speed motor. HMS shipped the hose out to me (as promised) and I installed it today. The restrictor did the trick. No more "hanging idle" The restrictor was just a small piece of smaller approximately 3/8 inch ID hose (not sure of ID size) inserted in the larger 3/4 inch vacuum line. A five minute fix to a VERY annoying problem, and reversable if you choose to return it to stock. THANK YOU JOHN HENNESSEY for the tip! (JD)

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"Hanging Idle\" problem fixed (Finally)

Jim,

Great to know your problem is fixed...
I also got my tube from HMS. I have not yet installed it. I have to say the car is running so **** strong right now that I dont want to mess with a thing!!!!

How about your Battery drain issue? Did you guys track down the cause?

Regards,

OP
OP
J
Reaction score

Martin-The battery drain issue was (would you believe it - Merphy's Law) a defective replacment battery. No High Performance PCM issue or short as first thought. I forgot to remind myself that new parts fail too!
embarass.gif
The idle "serge" was both low voltage related and a slight Intake manifold leak. Even after the manifold gasket was replaced, the throttle would "hang". The "restricted" hose from the air box to the throttle cured that problem. I'm so friggen happy now, I could eat a Vette
bounce.gif

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimDavis MT 97GTS 650R:
Martin-The battery drain issue was......... a defective replacment battery,,,,,,,,The idle "serge" was both low voltage related.........
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The eleventy-seventeenth case of battery-related weirdness.....

The MINUTE your Viper starts turning over slower, and your Batty is 2+ years old.......save yurself a lot of grief and buy a new one!

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score

If you leave the hood or hatch open while storing your car, there is a large drain on the battery. If you are going to do this, make sure that you have a Deltran Battery Tender connected to the car. Otherwise the battery will run down in a few days.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456