Having a custom steering wheel built, need advise

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im having a custom steering wheel built and have narrowed it down to two different but similar designs. Please let me know if you guys would go with the red or black wheel. The red wheel is an actual gen3/4 viper wheel. The black whee is from a murcielago but you can see the resemblance.

You must be registered for see images attach

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The black one is cooler. I like the flat bottom and it's more shapely.
I'm interested in getting one myself. Are they super BIG $$$?

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The black one is cooler. I like the flat bottom and it's more shapely.
I'm interested in getting one myself. Are they super BIG $$$?

After I get this one done I will let everyone know the quality and the company that is doing this. They are sponsoring me as I promised I would display the product on the viper forum and vouch for them but before I do any of that i want to make sure that the product is quality. I will keep you guys informed as i go along.

The price is in the 1-1.25k range with a matching e-brake.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the 1st one. Looks mean.

Will it have the airbag still? Maybe a TV screen on there lol?

-Tim

That's the thing...the airbag will still work because it will be the stock center piece. Aftermarket companies can make the outside ring of the wheel look good, but they can't do much of anything with the centers because it could potentially cause the airbag to not deploy correctly.

If it were mine, I'd do whatever I could to make sure the center section didn't stick out like a sore thumb once complete.

Reaction score
IMO the red and black will be too busy and broken up. Also as a side note the grips on the red one will get very tiresome after a while, because holding your hands anywhere else is not comfortable and unless they are form fitted to your hands they are not comfortable. And another thing, the Murci wheel has molded thumb rests for comfort, the red one has the threads on top where your thumb will rest and you will HATE it after a while trust me I have had them all...

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the thing...the airbag will still work because it will be the stock center piece. Aftermarket companies can make the outside ring of the wheel look good, but they can't do much of anything with the centers because it could potentially cause the airbag to not deploy correctly.

If it were mine, I'd do whatever I could to make sure the center section didn't stick out like a sore thumb once complete.

You can have the bag covered recovered as well and have them do a nice circle stitch where the bag would still be able to explode. Im on the benz forums and all the guys there get their air bags covered in suade or other materiasl. Looks really good. I think i will look in to that but after i do the wheel.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO the red and black will be too busy and broken up. Also as a side note the grips on the red one will get very tiresome after a while, because holding your hands anywhere else is not comfortable and unless they are form fitted to your hands they are not comfortable. And another thing, the Murci wheel has molded thumb rests for comfort, the red one has the threads on top where your thumb will rest and you will HATE it after a while trust me I have had them all...

so you are in favor of the black wheel then?

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did my wheel in Alcantara feels great, the carbon fiber looks good but you will ding it if you have a ring on. As soon as I can get a hold of a gen V wheel I will give that a try. The top wheel I like the best on the ones posted.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did my wheel in Alcantara feels great, the carbon fiber looks good but you will ding it if you have a ring on. As soon as I can get a hold of a gen V wheel I will give that a try.

Thats not true at all. Ive had carbon wheels on a ton of my cars. My daily driver Escalade has one and i wear a ring all the time. Ive done zero damage. Never had any issues with any of my other cars either.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In my old hod rod I had a CF wheel and I ding it/scratch, Also if the wheel is exposed to the sun gets hot as hell. DCT makes a good product Im sure it will look great.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats not true at all. Ive had carbon wheels on a ton of my cars. My daily driver Escalade has one and i wear a ring all the time. Ive done zero damage. Never had any issues with any of my other cars either.

Stop taking away his reasons to take his ring off! :lmao:

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be watching this thread. Getting rid of the ugly stock steering wheel is top of my to do list.

Oh and I vote for the black/grey wheel. The D-shape wheels look great.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP, I prefer the black first wheel.

Cubican, how much was it to have your wheel done?

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a carbon/suede wheel in my DD truck and a full suede wheel in my Viper. I wrapped the center airbag myself as well as the clamshell. It's a B*tch to wrap!!!

I like the full suede wheel much better than the carbon/suede. The suede gives a much better grip. I had a full suede wheel in my VW and it was fantastic. Our racecars have suede Revere wheels and make a difference for grip. A sweaty hand can slip on the carbon. My father has a carbon/leather wheel in his 458 Spider, but a majority of the wheel is leather.

Flat bottom is nice in a small engine compartment.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a carbon/suede wheel in my DD truck and a full suede wheel in my Viper. I wrapped the center airbag myself as well as the clamshell. It's a B*tch to wrap!!!

I like the full suede wheel much better than the carbon/suede. The suede gives a much better grip. I had a full suede wheel in my VW and it was fantastic. Our racecars have suede Revere wheels and make a difference for grip. A sweaty hand can slip on the carbon. My father has a carbon/leather wheel in his 458 Spider, but a majority of the wheel is leather.

Flat bottom is nice in a small engine compartment.

do you have any pictures of the airbag wrapped?

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Decided to go with a combanation of both wheels. Going to have these guys build me something that has charectoristics of both but will more resembel the black wheel. Just ordered a steerign wheel and ebrake core. As soon as the parts get here im going to send them away to get built. Im told 4-6 weeks turn around.

I also found a company that coveres corvette air bags in any materia. I sent them a fe pics of the viper bag cover to see what design they can come up with. Will keep everyone posted.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This little side project got put on hold but just as I was going to send the wheel and e brake cores to the steering wheel company I found this little gem in the VA classified from a few months back. Contacted the seller and he still had it so I bough it. New, never used. Looks great. Will post some pics when it comes in.

Now can someone tell me "the quick and easy" on how to take the steering wheel off :)

viper srt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
go a head for the black one, it will look amazing on your snake

for me when i want to have customized something for my car, i want it to look like came from factory.

but u sure he airbag will fit without problems ?

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go a head for the black one, it will look amazing on your snake

for me when i want to have customized something for my car, i want it to look like came from factory.

but u sure he airbag will fit without problems ?

Yes why wouldn't it!

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw that wheel on the VA classifieds...great looking wheel for an even better price.
. Got it for a few bills less shipped. I'm surprised now one else swooped on it. It was for sale for some time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc