Head Bolt Question.....

s55c

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I gather parts for the winter time projects one of them being head gaskets, I read the specs for the headbolts,,, 30lbs plus a 1/4 turn?? really??? A bolt that big and thats it?? I have built many an engine and never have I come across such a low number, well maybe my lawnmower. I understand the torque to yield bolts, bolt stretch and all,,, but these bolts are dang big,,,, I would love to know for the sake of knowing why so low. Mine is a 1995......

Last edited:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is it a 95 model/what year-- those years are usually first to 35 ft and then to 90 ft after that tighten valley bolts last to 95 ft lbs

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe when we did my head gaskets 2 years ago we did 3 steps. 60 ft-lb, 90, & 120.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As I gather parts for the winter time projects one of them being head gaskets, I read the specs for the headbolts,,, 30lbs plus a 1/4 turn?? really??? A bolt that big and thats it?? I have built many an engine and never have I come across such a low number, well maybe my lawnmower. I understand the torque to yield bolts, bolt stretch and all,,, but these bolts are dang big,,,, I would love to know for the sake of knowing why so low. Mine is a 1995......

Short answer: ALUMINUM.

Book says '30 ft-lb, then a 90-degree turn.' HOWEVER: Since so many gaskets failed, later experience and The Experts say 40-80-120 and ALWAYS IN THE PATTERN SHOWN THE MANUAL.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg:i would call chuck or wood house, if you overtorque them you could actually break a head:omg:

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
None of the above.

40, 80, 120x2 w/MLS Head Gaskets.

^^^^ This right here. It is also what the Wiz told me. (Chuck Tator) Also this is a DRY torque, do NOT lube the threads of the bolts or block or you will pull the threads out. I did my headgaskets last winter, was a piece of cake.

OP
OP
S

s55c

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea I should have mentioned, I have the MLS Cometic head gaskets, new OEM bolts - didn't see arp bolts for a 95 and I really don't want studs... seems to be a couple different thoughts on the subject... thanks to all for your input,,,

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I got 1 of the 3 numbers correct :D Apparently my memory is not so good.

I remember trying to get the ARP studs and was told they were not needed on the gen 1's.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Specs I gave were for OEM bolts, installed dry. You can use a very light oil [aerosol type] if you choose, you wont pull the threads, and it can help with galling if any of the threads are nicked a little.

ARP bolts are available, but are a good bit more expensive than Gen-2/3 ARP bolts, as they are not sold in Kit form. No need for them unless you are going forced induction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960