Head Gasket blew - motor sent back to Dodge - need advice

georgekessel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The head gasket blew on my 96 GTS. Luckily I have the extended warranty so it won't cost me much. However the dealers up here in Vancouver BC are quite low quality and the service level leaves much to be desired. They said they had to remove my engine, crate it and send it back to Dodge.

They won't store my viper in a garage - it's been outside now for 2 months and they're telling me it will be another 6 weeks!

I'm really upset that my beautiful show-quality GTS that had never before been driven in the rain is now outside for the rainy vancouver fall. The dealer keeps whining that he doesn't have room inside for it.

I'm looking for advice - does anyone know the contact info for a regional manager of Dodge or anyone that can put pressure on this dealer to store my viper Inside?

Also has anyone else had the lovely experience of having their viper in the shop for 4 months due to a motor issue - is this common?

Hoping for some sort of help and/or advice,

George
[email protected]

OP
OP
G

georgekessel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Head Gasket blew - motor sent back to Doge - need advice

I live on a steep hill where my house / lot sits high above the street below. It's an older house and the steep driveway is also narrow.

The flatbed can't get up my driveway to drop it off. I have several other vehicles and they are all maintained impeccably. I do not wish to allow this one to get ruined because of an uncaring dealership.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Tow it somewhere, just get it away from that dealer. What a crock. You need to call someone and tell them about the level of service your recv'd as an owner of their flagship product.

At $300 for a U-STOR/towing it is worth the peace of mind of getting it off that lot.

OP
OP
G

georgekessel

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know, I really do want to speak with someone at Dodge (Chrysler) about it and lodge a more formalized complaint about the issue.

Do you know how to go about contacting them?

OP
OP
G

georgekessel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to arrange to have the car put into storage at my expense today.

However the Dealership OWNER, "Bob" from Richmond Chrysler had the audacity to tell me that since I didn't buy the Viper from him originally, he wouldn't pull any strings for me. He refused to even arrange to have the vehicle put into storage at my expense.

He said it would be too much work to bring the vehicle out of the lot (I guess push it to a spot where it could be loaded).

I found the number for Dodge Canada and lodged a formal complaint but I don't think that will do much.

Just an FYI, stay away from this dealer

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George, I hope you can find a way to get your baby outta there. I would hope you could show up with a couple buddies and push your car to a place where the flatbed can get it...

Can you get your car up your drive with a complex system of ropes and pullies? can a Jeep CJ tow it up? Get a buddy to pull his minivan out of their garage for some rain exposure, and get the snake in there...

SOrry to hear about the dealership owner and the "you did not buy the car here" that's just uncalled for...I simply don't understand why some dealers take that sort of attitude....

good luck
Tomer
PS How many local VCA members does it take to push your GTS up the drive :cool:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

You ARE a VCA member, right? BC was our FIRST int'l chapter, and is very active.

Have your local VCA prez, phone in ViperMag, call the dealership. Maybe there ARE some customers of that dealer can intercede. Or the VCA itself.

This dealer will make $$ on the warranty (not much) but they are Dissing you big-time. You have been far-more-patient than most. I would show up in person and claim the car. With the police if necessary.

NOTE TO ALL NON-MEMBER OWNERS: You lurk and benefit here, so PLEASE JOIN ! You never know when you'll need VCA help. Join now and get 2003 and 2004 for same $100 1-800-998-1110

OP
OP
G

georgekessel

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, I am a VCA Member and I have emailed everyone in the Vancouver area / members to ask them for advice and let them know of the situation (so they can beware).

I really am surprised that the dealer is acting so terrible, it's not very "Canadian" of them. I am sending my assistant over to the dealership to view the vehicle and to attempt another resolution.

I am originally from Phoenix, and the dealer in Phoenix was absolutely superb. That's why the actions of this Vancouver (Richmond Chrysler) dealer are so surprising to me.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If no suitable inside storage is available--- why not opt for a viper cover from the dealer? Lean on them to supply it! John

OP
OP
G

georgekessel

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I do have the car covered with my Viper Cover and they stuck a big plastic tarp over that. However the wind blows and the water still splashes, etc.. and I know the finish will be severly scratched (minor scratches but there will be a LOT of them after 4 months of being in this condition).

The Viper was truly show quality before this incident. If it wasn't so pristine I wouldn't care about this storage problem so much.

It's just that you try so hard to keep something immaculate, and you manage to do it for 5 years, just to have some lazy cheap dealer blow it all.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I understand how ya feel. The viper cover is very protective against scratches etc. I would be concerned about critters making nests, this happened to me, in my homes garage. place an ad in the local paper for a storage garage. I lived in New Jersey and this was common with the bad weather up there. Non car nuts as us would rent out their garages. Good luck, John

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tow it to a storage place. You should be able to pay month to month on it. Or get them to put it in their showroom. The car should draw attention to their sales floor.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. All these stories simply remind me its not a Viper, but a DODGE Viper. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtoce1