Header bolts

shelbynut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I got my 2001 stock headers back from ceramic coating today (they look SWEEET :2tu: ) and had some custom made band-clamp flanges made up, picked up a pair of Magnaflow high flow cats, have new exhaust gaskets and am off to my mechanic's sunday to install it all on my 94 RT/10.

I haven't removed the heat shield off of my stock cast iron logs yet and am wondering how the exhaust manifold is bolted to the head, are there studs into the heads with nuts to hold the manifolds on or are they held on with bolts?

Reason I ask is that if they are on with bolts, I would like to get a nice set of allen key head chrome bolts to install the headers with. If I can, any idea of the size of bolts I need?

Have a few days to track them down but any help would be appreciated!

Also, any tips from anyone who has done this swap? I removed the supports between the tubes before having them ceramic coated, so won't have the head bolt clearance issues mentioned in other posts, but just want to be as prepared as possible before we dive into this upgrade.

Thanks,

Jay

9653IM000284-med.jpg

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
...wondering how the exhaust manifold is bolted to the head, are there studs into the heads with nuts to hold the manifolds on or are they held on with bolts?

They're actually both. There are studs with nuts that hold the heat shields over the headers on the top row of bolts, and the rest are normal bolts. Skip the allen head bolts, they're a royal pain in the ASS to install (had to cut down an allen wrench to get into the tight spots). I did them on mine, and wish I'd done normal bolts, as they'll be a royal pain if I ever need to remove them, and they took 10x longer to install then normal bolts would've (not to mention you can't see them anyhow under the heat shields).

Cal

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get stainless header bolts from DC performance or special order from Jegs. They run around $80 for 20pcs.

Make sure they are 5/16" X 1".

OP
OP
S

shelbynut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, will scrap the allen key idea and just get some stainless bolts.

Will be doing a few dyno pulls after this mod, so should have some good before and after numbers, from stock logs with cheap cats, to stock headers with high flow cats. Have already replaced the mufflers with resonators.

Jay

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4