Header Suggestions

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in winter upgrade mode...Ready to buy a set of headers...It is very difficult to decide which ones will be best for my setup..I have a 96 GTS with Roe S/C, 10 Lb pulley, W/M injection, Roe High flow cats, Borla 3 inch exhaust, etc. I was thinking of the B&B 1/34 will be best, but a good source said that the Edelbrocks are even better plus they make a really cool heatshield to boot. I will be adding 1.7 rockers as well...Any suggestions are appreciated...I will consider a good set of used as well...Thanks...Al

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the same situation as you. I have been doing some research and went with a used set of Belangers. I am also going to have them ceramic coated inside and out side to remove the heat problem. I went to one of this site’s sponsors http://www.dcperformanceinc.com/ and they had a nice comparison of several headers.

I do have a question on my Belangers what type of sealant do you use on the flanges when bolting the three pieces back together?

P.S. great color and set up.

Patrick Mathias. :nana:

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do have a question on my Belangers what type of sealant do you use on the flanges when bolting the three pieces back together?

Patrick Mathias. :nana:

I used this:

http://www.itwconsumer.com/catalog.aspx?prodID=3

good to 700 deg.F and O2 sensor safe.
In service for over a year with no leaks, available at Advanced Auto.

Which header is best? There will be more opinions on that subject than space permits.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have long term problems with the OE heat shields causing the Belangers to crack? A website I just looked at says you have to buy expensive aftermarket heat shields when using Belanger headers...

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have long term problems with the OE heat shields causing the Belangers to crack? A website I just looked at says you have to buy expensive aftermarket heat shields when using Belanger headers...

No OEM shields or any shields on my installation. It has been posted that this is unsafe but with a Roe S/C I have experienced no heat related issues.

Avoid using the paper gaskets supplied with Bellanger Headers. The metal OEM gaskets are a better option. The paper gaskets are OK if you recheck the torque on the header bolts a few times after install.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No OEM shields or any shields on my installation. It has been posted that this is unsafe but with a Roe S/C I have experienced no heat related issues.

I agree. No problems sans any heat shields for almost 60,000 miles with Belanger headers. No heat problems with any other components either. Plug wires went 30K between changes. Over 9000 miles with Roe blower this summer--no issues at all. Just make sure your PS cap is always tight....better yet, get Craig's PS cap mod. (HIPO Engineering). There are lots of ways to accomplish the same, but his product looks good and is not expensive.

Steve

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I am going henne$$y as I love the sound. Check out thread recently posted http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=759456&an=0&page=0#Post759456 \

This is the only system I have heard this type of sound from and I believe it relates to the headers.

I hope you listened to this car live, as in next to the car. This sounds like Belangers to me. Before ordering visit a Viper meet and compare the various systems.

Sorry, but it sounds exactly like mine and I have exactly the same set-up. That sound comes from Henne$$ey headers...

OP
OP

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am liking the Edelbrocks with the heatsheilds...They are 1-3/4 inch ...anyone have an idea how they perform compared to the B&Bs???

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh I am looking for a winter project too

headers are in my mind, seems Belangers are popular with the Viper owners here...? I have an '01 GTS, stock-intake/exhaust

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh I am looking for a winter project too

headers are in my mind, seems Belangers are popular with the Viper owners here...? I have an '01 GTS, stock-intake/exhaust

Ran a Roe S/C (5lb) with factory headers, Roe oval cats and Corsa on my 2001 GTS for about 1 year and then installed Belangers with the hi flo cats supplied with the kit.
There was no noticable change in performance up to 4.5K rpms, but it was louder.

It has been posted here that headers on a creampuff result in dissapointing performance gains for the $$$ spent and that is my experience.

But they look way better than the factory setup. :2tu:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks Mr Hemi, I've heard that before as well. Some of the guys here said I might get a better sound, trying to decide if over 2K is worth that haha!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm installing a set of used Borla headers next week, along with B&B hi-flo cats and 3" exhaust :D . I had the headers ceramic coated inside/out and will be running without a heat shield. Many have told me that the ceramic coating negates the use of heat shields (can actually damage ceramic coated headers) and that they should be cool to the touch after a few minutes of turning off the engine. We'll see. I will try to take thermal readings before and after the install and post pics.

- Tony

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I msy be selling my Belangers off my 2000 GTS. Send me a PM if you'd like to dicuss off the forum. I'm on travel no so access is limited. Sorry in advance if I can't get right back.

Carl

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks Mr Hemi, I've heard that before as well. Some of the guys here said I might get a better sound, trying to decide if over 2K is worth that haha!

You can't beat the Belanger sound Leslie!. I'll take the better 'sound system' over 10 HP any day. Come to think of it -- I did that very thing over 5 years ago and have yet to think I would do anything any differently if done over.

I'm installing a set of used Borla headers next week, along with B&B hi-flo cats and 3" exhaust . I had the headers ceramic coated inside/out and will be running without a heat shield. Many have told me that the ceramic coating negates the use of heat shields (can actually damage ceramic coated headers) and that they should be cool to the touch after a few minutes of turning off the engine. We'll see. I will try to take thermal readings before and after the install and post pics.

...make sure you take the thermal readings before touching your headers a few minutes after a hot shutdown. Me thinks there's a good chance you'll be leaving your fingerprints permanently on the header if touched only a few minutes after shutdown ;)

Steve

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can't beat the Belanger sound Leslie!. I'll take the better 'sound system' over 10 HP any day. Come to think of it -- I did that very thing over 5 years ago and have yet to think I would do anything any differently if done over.
that's a good enough reason for me, I'm disappointed with the sound of my GTS right now, my vette sounds better and that's just NOT right :laugh:

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score

that's a good enough reason for me, I'm disappointed with the sound of my GTS right now, my vette sounds better and that's just NOT right :laugh:

Has anybody heard the sound of the belangers or B&B as compared to Henne$$y longtube?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...make sure you take the thermal readings before touching your headers a few minutes after a hot shutdown. Me thinks there's a good chance you'll be leaving your fingerprints permanently on the header if touched only a few minutes after shutdown ;)

Stee

[/QUOTE]

:D Yes! I know better. Me no touchy hot headers.

Thanks,
- Tony

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quote}

Mine are listed in the classifieds. :2tu:

[/QUOTE]

I was just looking at them. First good picture of the "pickle" Why is that thing there? Why are you selling?

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just looking at them. First good picture of the "pickle" Why is that thing there? Why are you selling?

It's for smoothing out the flow. It creates more laminar flow down the collector. It's great for NA cars but not so great for boosted cars (so I've heard). I'm upping my boost to 12lbs.

99RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anybody heard the sound of the belangers or B&B as compared to Henne$$y longtube?

[/QUOTE]

From what I understand, the B&B headers are copies of the [*****] headers. In fact, the pictures of the headers shown on both websites look pretty close to identical.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have belanger headers and I would recommend them to anyone.

The sound is great and they really are beautiful headers. I doubt you will see any major improvements in HP. As for the shields yo do NOT need expensive after market shielding for the Belangers....DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY. Even Lou Belanger will tell you that. My experience is that 50% of those who have purchased the headers have re-installed the exiting shields ( like myself ) while the other 1/2 have gone without shields. They are ceramic coated and really is a personal choice for the shield application. Friends have been running shieldless with no problems whatsover.

Patrick

OP
OP

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have belanger headers and I would recommend them to anyone.

I doubt you will see any major improvements in HP.//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////Wow, I find this statement hard to believe with a blower car....AL