Headers and Intake Installed and Running a Little Funny

Doubleup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently completed installation of new headers and DC Polished Intake and only drove the car for on quick Auto X event in which seemed to have some noticeable backfire on imeadiate deceleration and a little bit of stumbling/breaking up of power over 4k rpm.

Only did the high rmp power loss a couple of times however strange. Any ideas, do you think I need to let the PCM adjust to these new changes a bit longer or maybe ignition issues??

Last edited:

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Seems like something is not right. You should get the car on the dyno and test it . Did you change the computer? Which headers do you have and are you using cats? How is the car now that you have put some miles on it?

Viper Tech Line 310-597-6295
Shop 310-841-6996

OP
OP
D

Doubleup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would love to Dyno the car, just need to find somewhere nearby Monterey...

Headers are the Bad Boys Series from Toddy w/Cats, Mopar ECU. I will try to get some miles on tonight and report back. Will probably replace plugs just in case I accidentally damaged one during header install... Must also add that the stock plug wires ****; they give no real feedback when properly seated other than trying to pull off and conection feeling firm... I like when they snap! Guess I will get new wires soon also...

Last edited:

usurbrain

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm sure you know, but you can call Ted at Valaya Racing. He can point you in the right direction for a dyno, or if you can make it up to San Jose, he can help tune it for you.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doubleup,

Hope everything is back to correct at this point. Here are a few suggestions from a mechanical & electrical view.

Headers are pretty much academic as far as installation goes, but the Viper does require the removal of quite a few body panels, engine bay components and electical connections. Here is a quick check list.
(1) Always disconnect your battery
(2) Check spark plug/coil wires for damage ( possibilty of being pulled apart?)
(3) Spark plugs for cracks ( not neccesary to remove during installation on Gen IV )
(4) O2 sensors plug ins & connections ( use thremal tape to insulate )

The lower intake is staight forward but requires removal of Key fuel & engine management sensors.

(1) Always disconnect you battery
(2) Check your fuel injectors to make sure completely seated in intake runners
(3) Check fuel injector ignition connectors
(4) Fuel Line connection
(5) Vacuum connections
(6) Coil Connections
(7) Intake bolts to ensure factory trq spec
(8) Fly By Wire connections
(9) Fresh air intake secured ( no air leaks )
(9) NACA Duct air deflector must not be removed
(10) If running a MOPAR Performance Controller ( unit must be installed correctly using a "Specified Sequence and Check List". MJ from WoodHouse Motorsports posted on a previous post about this procedure. I recommend good reading for all ).

Don't hesitate calling my cellular is on and honestly the headers are not going to be the problem its a sensor, connection or sequence issue most likely.

Here to help:usa:
Toddy

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good luck getting her back to *****..No worse feeling than when you spend a bunch of $$$ on performance mods and and then the car has less performance and dosent run right ect.

OP
OP
D

Doubleup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Problem all better! :2tu: Replaced and all spark plugs and problem is gone. No visible damage to any of them however maybe a fine crack of just a loose wire I did not catch. Car is running strong, roads were cold and a little foggy so did not push it too hard tonight... :drive:

Funny thing is I beat my hands up more just replacing spark plugs while fully assembled than the whole painful header installation process! LOL

Thanks for all the input!

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great news Doubleup! When you get a chance to run your Viper at your local track ( Laguna Seca ) please share with us your times & impression of your header upgrade:usa: I hear your home is just a stones throw away!

Ciao,
Toddy