Headers...coat or wrap?

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
depending on if they are long tube or short approx.185-300 coating is a betterway to go unless yours is strictly a track car, the wrap will have to be stripped off,in my opinion the wrap declines the life of the header not to mention voids any header manufacturer warranty,also does not last as long as coating,not to mention cosmetic differences,hope this helps

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What type of coating is suggested?
I just purchased a set of 2001 ACR headers for my 1993 RT/10 and I would like get them coated. If I remember right some are coated outside, some inside too?
Thanks, Lauri

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my .02:

depending on header style the stock header shields may be useless or require cutting, bending, prodding and poking to get them to go, not good.

Jet-hot coating around 200 bucks US for the 2000 degree coating both inside and outside the header. The heat is not absorbed in the engine compartment at all and is pushed downward and drops temp every inch of the way.....

I'm coating my cats as well in the 2000 finish, the standard coating, while offered in more attractive finishes, does not leave enough of a temperature margin of safety for me liking, therefore 2000 it is. Check out their site, I think they sponsor here.....

best of luck,

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they are stainless, do both. I have SVSi stainless headers, and I had them Jet Hot coated inside and out. Then I had them put a woven tubular refractory material over the headers. It is not a wrap, but rather a "sock" that fits over the tube. This combination looks great, and it keeps the heat where it belongs.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, Jet-Hot (at least the owner) originated here in Ct but there was a falling out between the two original fellows and now we have the more popularly known Jet-Hot and right up the road in Hartford we have Aircraft Coatings. Most of the locals go to Aircraft Coatings since it is right here. I don't know about the pricing, but I am sure that they offer comparable coatings.

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jet Hot 2000 for B&B headers and the right angle tubes was $400 last week, also remember how the headers are assembled, they come back each tube individually wrapped'