Headers vs. 1.7 Roller Rockers??

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the process of trying to determine what performance mod to do next. I have a 97 GTS that has filters, tubes and Borla cat-back. I plan on adding high flow cats and am trying to decide whether to add headers or 1.7 roller rockers at the same time (have only a limited budget for Viper upgrades, and even less if the wife finds out
smile.gif
)
Anyone know the HP gain in headers vs. roller rockers? Also, any thoughts on the subject is greatly appreciated!!.....Kurt

P.S. Sorry for the double post!!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'97s respond very well to headers. You will pick up more power across the entire powerband by swapping headers rather than roller rockers. With an exhaust and high-flow cats, I'd expect you to see a 15-20 HP and TQ improvement.

Do you have dyno figures for your car in its current "before" configuration? They will be useful to compare power after you make whichever modifications you choose...

OP
OP
K

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben,

Thanks for the advice. I've yet to put it on a dyno, but will do so before any additional mods. Seems like many feel headers is the way to go for now. Speaking of headers, do you feel that the price difference between Borla race headers ($1100) vs. other headers (upwards of $2800) is worth it? I appreciate your opinion....Kurt

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headers will without a doubt outperform roller rockers. You will get more from your cat back with better flowing exhaust manifolds(headers)

Not to say anything against roller rockers, they are a good add, but not much if any power gain on a stock engine.

Tom

OP
OP
K

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,

Thanks for your post. I may be asking a loaded question, but what are your thoughts on the price difference in headers? Justified? Thanks...Kurt

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kurt,

Please feel free to call me at any time for my thoughts on ALL of the different headers on the market. We have at one time or another either tested ourselves or witnessed testing in our presence all of the headers in our industry.

I leave you with one thought..price will not matter if your are second place on the track or dyno, and price will matter if you save a buck on the purchase but spend extra on installation and custom fitment.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com
407-359-2223

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm in the same dilemma with a 94 RT10 with a new stock Arrow
Rebuild. No cats, smooth tube and K&N's, the car runs 12.84 and 110 mph at a density altitude of 3700 feet.

The heads are still weeping and will come off this fall for new gaskets on warranty.

So do I do the 1.7 RR at this time?

Are headers a better bet?

Or has anyone one done any real head work on these old Gen 1 motors. The heads will be off so is this the time for this?

Is this car even worth it if these head gaskets keep leaking and is that from the liners moving?

I don't have any tiny cracks in my hood but is my turn coming on this one.

I love the car but the economics of long term headaches are causing me to think seriously of upgrading into a Gen 2 Viper.

Can anyone help me on this?

Tim

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What size headers are the best?? I put on 1 3/4 and it seems i lost a lot of torque.I put on my rocker arms(t&d1.7)with corsa and throttle response was excellent, after i put on the headers and no cats it lost lots of low end power and throttle response is weaker too. 2001 rt/10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine