Heat Issue? Other Issues?

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone drive their SRT everyday? Or many times from 45 minutes to an hour? Can you provide any feedback on this excess heat issue that everyone was making such a big deal about during the run-up to launch??

Also, and I am sorry if this is asking anyone to repeat info, but I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with their car yet. Besides the recall items, anything else come lose? Break? Wear out? Die? etc..

VERY close to trying a new Gen3 here in Kansas.... It would be my daily driver but that doesn't really about to a lot of driving, maybe 220 miles per week. Enough for me to not want to cook inside my car though!

Thanks

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '03 is now my daily driver.

It produces copious amounts of heat. Of course my HP crazy hubby says "You have 500 HP out of an 8.3 liter engine - you have to dissipate some heat, so **** it up." I quit complaining.

I did not have any other issues - no valve issues, no headlight issue (although I have been TRYING to simulate it). My top latch spring rattles, that's about it.

It's very drivable for a daily driver. The AC works well - certainly enough to compensate for the heat. I find the heat issue more of an annoyance when the top is DOWN.

The side sills are wider than on my GTS,so ingress and egress is harder - especially for the short legged.

But, with a real top and a real trunk and excellent handling and brakes, it's quite civilized - and easier to drive than a Gen I or II.

Oh - and the seats are WONDERFUL.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anytime you want to spend some time in my SRT let me know. Happy to help!

As to the heat issues, there seems to be only a slight buildup when the car isn't moving. If you look underneath an SRT you will find that there are VERY large vents in the bottom of the sidesills both in the front and towards the back. Driving around the sills stay no more than warm to the touch. Stop at idle for a while and they do heat up, but no more so than the Gen I/II. This is also true when you stop the car and turn it off: The residual heat in the exhaust will warm up the sills for a little while. A few folks have complained about the cockpit heat (see above), but with the A/C on it has never been a problem. Mine is black on black and you KNOW how hot it has gotten here this summer. The key is to put your top up when it is blazing hot and run the A/C. Otherwise just about any convertible will suffer from some heat with the top down. Oh, and don't go barefoot: That dead pedal seems like it is connected to the cats and gets VERY toasty...

Other problems? No real mechnical problems but a few minor trim issues: One headlight sticks out more than the other; one taillight had water in it (replaced); the retaining clip on the bottom of the trunk strut popped off (strut replaced); rattle in the top latch (WingKing posted a fix and the more recent SRT's have it fixed from the factory); and the large foglight panel in the front right wheelwell has disappeared (replacement in tomorrow). The car is surprisingly watertight and has run like a dream. There is the occasional "bog" between gears, but that is very rare now. Some have complained of intermittent light problems and I understand they (DC) has pinpointed the source.

Overall I am absolutely thrilled with the car!

Chris

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive my car daily and have no "heat issue". It is no different than the Rt/10 and the GTS I owned in the past. I have not had any problems other that the valve replacement recall and the "rattle" in the soft top latch. Both have been repaired and the car is awesome - I like it much more than my past 2 Vipers. By the way I have about 5500 miles on the car.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive mine 3 days a week. It is a little warm with the top down on a hot day, as hot engine air comes out from the hood gills, and enters the interior if the windows are down. If I run the A/C on high it is comfortable. With the top up and the A/C on it's fine. Much better than my 96 Coupe.
Car rides a little rougher, but also handles much crisper. Brakes are much improved. Stereo is fantastic now.
It can be a daily driver for someone who wants a street legal race car, however no one will mistake it for a Cadillac, or even a Corvette.
Car has been totally reliable. Only service required in +4000 miles of use has been oil changes.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The weather is cooling down, plus you're in a part of the country that it does not get that hot. When the outside temp is around 100 or so, and you are driving the car for 45 mimuets or more, some heat will migrate into the car. The A/C will keep you cool enough. Also I think if you are up there in years, say over 50 and have a few extra pounds on ya, the heat does become a little annoying. I'm in Texas and the weather has droped in to the 80's and this car is perfect to drive all day. One more thing that will help this car out is to upgrade the cats to some Random Tech. high flow cats, this I've done on several Viper's and wow what a difference, not to mention the sound and performance it gives the car. You will like this car if you get it. The car does have a serious, ********* feel to it, much more so than a Vette. I love to drive it and go thru a few gears a couple time's per drive, but I would not want to drive it all over town. Every day, be like driving a crotch-rocket all day, well not that bad.

Skip White

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive mine almost daily. No significant heat issues. This car is a great daily driver - something I can't say for my GTS.

OP
OP
O

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a lot everyone!

Chris - I'll take you up on your offer sometime. I have yet to even drive in a Gen3 and really should before buying one. Also, which dealer is getting one soon?? I think you mentioned that in a different thread.

I will surely wait for an 04. I would assume that many of the model year 1 problems would have been worked out, like some of the things Chris mentioned.

I have a very modified 95 (Red) and LOVE IT! Will probably grow old with it (I am 34 BTW) but I could never drive it daily. It's extreme..... which is why I love it. I guess you could say that I fit the profile that DC was aiming for with the SRT - I am looking for a Viper that's a bit more refined. Looks like they hit it. The car it'll be replacing is a 2002 Vette, so I guess someone in DC is really smiling about now. The Vette has been a great car by the way, not one issue in 15,000 miles but I am just getting bored. My 2 year car inch. The Viper is the only car I have never grown tired of.

Now... do I get Red or Black?!?! I know I love the red.... but I already own a Red Viper. Gotta see one in black to be sure.

Thanks again for all the feedback everyone.

OP
OP
O

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both look great Sylvan but it's gotta be Red or White. The more I compare them the more difficult the decision!

So far it's black. Only because I already have a red 95 RT/10.

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My vote is for red. I just cannot see owning a white sports car any more. I had a white S2000 and it was all right, but I really didn't care for the color after a while. Liked it initially.

Just preference, but a white sports car looks more tame, for lack of a better word. Maybe it is the association of white with "surrender" or for me that makes me not like it. White seems more generic to me.

My '02 Corvette is perwter metallic in color, probably the tamest color of any of the four Corvettes I have owned.

I like my sports cars with bold colors, but whatever floats your boat.

My '04 SRT 10 will be red.
Dave

Viper 24

Viper Owner
Reaction score
silver is the way to go, but i am a bit biased. silver doesn't appear to be mainstream, but then again i like to go against the grain :)

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anytime you want to spend some time in my SRT let me know. Happy to help!

As to the heat issues, there seems to be only a slight buildup when the car isn't moving. If you look underneath an SRT you will find that there are VERY large vents in the bottom of the sidesills both in the front and towards the back. Driving around the sills stay no more than warm to the touch. Stop at idle for a while and they do heat up, but no more so than the Gen I/II. This is also true when you stop the car and turn it off: The residual heat in the exhaust will warm up the sills for a little while. A few folks have complained about the cockpit heat (see above), but with the A/C on it has never been a problem. Mine is black on black and you KNOW how hot it has gotten here this summer. The key is to put your top up when it is blazing hot and run the A/C. Otherwise just about any convertible will suffer from some heat with the top down. Oh, and don't go barefoot: That dead pedal seems like it is connected to the cats and gets VERY toasty...

Other problems? No real mechnical problems but a few minor trim issues: One headlight sticks out more than the other; one taillight had water in it (replaced); the retaining clip on the bottom of the trunk strut popped off (strut replaced); rattle in the top latch (WingKing posted a fix and the more recent SRT's have it fixed from the factory); and the large foglight panel in the front right wheelwell has disappeared (replacement in tomorrow). The car is surprisingly watertight and has run like a dream. There is the occasional "bog" between gears, but that is very rare now. Some have complained of intermittent light problems and I understand they (DC) has pinpointed the source.

Overall I am absolutely thrilled with the car!

Chris

Chris what about over-heating issues? I've had problems in the past with Vipers over-heating. Now you say that the car heats up at idle. So in stop & go traffic has your temp gauge gone up considerably? Have you been in bad traffic yet when it's extremely hot outside? Or does the cabin heat up but the temp gauge stay constant/normal? Don't know how hot it gets where you live but have you had any type of over-heating issue whatsoever? Based on your personal experiences and the experinces of other SRT owners that you know, could the SRT be used as a car to go to work in everyday w/ a suit & tie (in the heat)? Or is it better suited for a weekend racer? Thanks.
You must be registered for see images

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got stuck in bumper to bumper going to Atlanta this past weekend and the cabin stayed comfy. The temp needle never went above 200 the whole trip. City driving was the same story. The hotel garage was full, so I drove around and around for about 45 minutes looking for safe parking. Almost unbearable inside with the top down while at traffic lights, but the temp needle never budged! What was the garage full of you might ask? Pimped out Escalades and slammed Civics...it was Nopi weekend. No room for a Snake.