HELP again... car still won't turn over (immediate need)

Will

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HELP again... car still won\'t turn over (immediate need)

So my 8am appt to get my battery replaced is now shot given that it's 7:50 pst and AAA was unsuccessful in getting my car to start. We tried several times. On some occasions nothing happenned. On a couple of occassions we got the clicking sound. On those occassions where the engine started to crank, it never turned over. I did notice that when the engine started to crank the battery indicatior never got out of the orange.

The AAA guy suspects it has something to do with the alarm system and that I may need to do something special to bypass it?

Any suggestions?

Thanks again,

Will

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: HELP again... car still won\'t turn over (immediate need)

If you got the clicking sound, my guess is still a low or loosely connected battery.
Did the AAA guy jump off the battery or the remote posts?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you got the clicking sound, my guess is still a low or loosely connected battery.
Did the AAA guy jump off the battery or the remote posts?
I suspect it was at the remote site, way too hard for the AAA guy to get to the batt on the side of the road. I say you have a loose ground somewhere, are there any other Viper guys in your are that can help?

Reaction score

Will,
where is the car? I had the same problems with my car when it was stored in a storage shed in RI. I would go over every other week and run it....till we moved to a garage with a house. At times I had to let the "good" car run, with the cables attached, for quite some time. When it was time to let the car move into it's new garage....I took off the L rear tire, replaced the battery myself, and she started right up. GREAT ideas to check the grounds in BOTH locations as well!! :) Good luck!!

OP
OP
W

Will

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The AAA guy tried jumping off the remote post. The car is in my garage.

OP
OP
W

Will

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well the manual states "..If using a 'fast charger' while the battery is in the vehicle, disconnect both vehicle battery cables before connecting the charger to battery. Do not use a 'fast charger' to provide starting voltage."

So is a "fast charger" the equivalent of a jump start? If so it looks like the only way to get this thing on the road is to swap the battery in my garage (or get it towed).

-W

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

One of my best purchases was a 12V power pack to use for jump starting rather than jumping off another car. I've used it dozens of times on my car and on others'. It will also power 12V accessories for hours.
Rick
Cincy

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If it is having trouble turning over, I don't think that would be the alarm. I would try jumping to the large post on the starter with the hot lead and see what happens. If it didn't turn over that way I would jumper the small and large post on the starter.....can be done with a screw driver but a portable start button would be the way to go.
Maybe just change the battery yourself at home ?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have you tryed charging it from the remote jump location.....it will work.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have you tryed charging it from the remote jump location.....it will work.
I thought that there was a possibility of damaging the computer if you charged the batt. at the remote location? Is this not the case?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

All I can tell you is my experiences. Until recently fixing my battery draw, my battery would run down over 3 days time. The charger has been on mine at least 100 times.....sometimes at the jump start setting when in a hurry and it is a large charger. When I am working on someone elses car, it is common for me to top the battery with a 2 hour slow charge. I don't know what the manual says, but I will never believe a 2 or 10 amp charge will harm the computer.

p.s. If you were worried about the computer, you could pull the pcm shield and unplug the pcm. Would be easier than getting to the battery.

OP
OP
W

Will

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well problem solved.... It ends up I needed to let the AAA guy hook up to my car and just let his car run for an extended period of time (20 minutes) in order to increase the amp charge enough for the engine to turn over. Once this happenned, I ran it for a few more minutes at 2000 rpms and took off for the shop.

I now have an Optima. Of course I had to have the two top posts shaved cut down in order to get it to fit in to the compartment, but it works just fine.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Will
BTW, I ran in to another Nor Cal VCA member while at APEX and he reminded me how long I've been away from the Viper scene. I guess having a 20 month old will do that to you (yes, I'm a first time parent).

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, I'm glad you got it fixed. I was going to recommend that you do exactly as you did. I had the same problem a couple of months ago.

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Glad you got everything sorted out Will. I had the same problem with my car not started even with a jump as well. What I did to get it started was I had to use two cars and two jumper cables in parallel to get enough amperage to the starter to turn the big V10. Did APEX clean all your battery cables and grounds as well?

OP
OP
W

Will

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Since I missed my earlier appt APEX had to squeeze me in. So after modifying the battery there wasn't enough time to check all the cables and grounds. I'll have that done next time I have it in for maintenance.

Dan, since you're so close to my office you can expect a call from me in the near future.

Thanks,

-W