HELP!....battery 97 GTS

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:dunno:Alright...it is 430am just completed battery swap and she still won't turn over! History....I was replacing the sepitine belt and she has not run since. Old battery was 4 years old so I figured she was junk. I just charged and replaced the battery and still not enough juice to get the car to fire. This should not be that difficult, what am I missing. It has been 3 weeks since the car ran and I am having major withdrawal from my baby

Help Steve
Double checked all connecions.....could it be the starter?

aacrewchief

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:dunno:Alright...it is 430am just completed battery swap and she still won't turn over! History....I was replacing the sepitine belt and she has not run since. Old battery was 4 years old so I figured she was junk. I just charged and replaced the battery and still not enough juice to get the car to fire. This should not be that difficult, what am I missing. It has been 3 weeks since the car ran and I am having major withdrawal from my baby

Help Steve
Double checked all connecions.....could it be the starter?

Do your lights come on? Does your keyless entry work. Does the engine turn over at all? Did u install a brand new battery with the proper ratings? The serpentine belt should not have affected anything.

OP
OP
S

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes to all, ive been told to check the ground since I was working in that area.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes there are several threads on starter non-function. Suggest searching.

It could be an alarm issue, or an ECU or PCU issue. Fuse and relay are a few others that you might have checked?

Ted

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My money is on the starter. Have a buddy (or two) give you a hand and push start the car (if you do not know how to do this, let me know and I'll explain). If it starts up, you know it's the starter. If it doesn't, then it's not.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If a push-start does not work, it is indeed a starter or a bad grounding strap, but since you say everything else works its NOT likley a bad ground.

You need 10.4 volts to fire the coils...otherwise it just goes rrrr-rrr-rrr-rrr.

Fully Charged New Batty, installed properly, clean terminals and cables....

NOTE: IF IT STARTS AND RUNS for 1.5 seconds, then dies as if out of gas, its an alarm issue.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a push-start does not work, it is indeed a starter or a bad grounding strap, but since you say everything else works its NOT likley a bad ground.

You need 10.4 volts to fire the coils...otherwise it just goes rrrr-rrr-rrr-rrr.

Fully Charged New Batty, installed properly, clean terminals and cables....

NOTE: IF IT STARTS AND RUNS for 1.5 seconds, then dies as if out of gas, its an alarm issue.

If he were to try and push start it and nothing were to happen, that would tell you that the starter is probably fine. If he can push start it, that means it IS the starter. The push start takes the starter out of the cranking loop. :)

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he tries to push start and does not start, it's a long way back into the garage........:rolaugh:

Does it crank but not very fast? Have you tried jump starting it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4