HELP! DEAD SNAKE

SurfSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After driving my 97 gts for about 15 minutes,I shut the car off and about 20 minutes later I couldnt open the doors and the red security light on the dash wasnt blinking. So I went through the hatch and used the emergency exit to open the doors. When I tryed to start the car it ran for a few seconds and shut off like the fuel pump wasnt working. I then installed new batterys in the key fob and that didnt work. Then I tryed to resync the key fob by pressing the two buttons together for 5 seconds( like it says in the owners manuel). The car has a 3 month old battery in it which is fully charged also. Anybody know a cure for my sick snake?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of our local members had this EXACT same problem over the weekend. Here is how he cured it: Disconnect the power under the hood for around a minute or so. This allows your computer to reset itself. Hook it back up, and you should be fine. We went through this process over the phone, first trying the key fob. When that failed to solve it, we did the battery trick. Worked like a charm! Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Chris

randall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep,that fixed it!thanks Chris,i owe you a beer!i wish the owners man. had a trouble shooting guide,i almost had heart failure when my new baby wouldn't start after a wash,thought it was water in the electronics.
crying.gif

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For future reference, how did you disconnect the power under hood without disconnecting the battery? Thanxs.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've run into this problem a few times. If this happens to your snake, here's the proceedure, try one and then try to start the car, if it fails, go to the next step......

1) Replace the battery in the fob.
2) Pull the fuses in the trunk and put them right back in. Fuel fuse is the key one.
3) Disconnect the battery and reconnect. The terminal is located on the drivers side in the middle of the fuse cluster. It is covered with a red cap. You may have a nut on it that is hard to get off, check now to see if you can losen it as finding out later is much worse....
4) If that doesn't work, check the connection at the battery, it may have come loose and is just barely touching the + or - end.

Keep a wrench in your car to fit the nut on the positive connection "Just in case".