Help! Has anyone had this happen?

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to track today to make a few runs. I have not ran on stock tires for a while so I thought I would give it a try. Anyway when I made my shift to 4th gear I thought my tranny broke. I heard a bunch of clanking when I made that shift then I hurried and pushed clutch back in and coasted off the track. Took the car away from track went thru gears seemed to be ok. Went back to track and did the exact same thing. What the F@@c am I doing wrong ? Missing 4th, going from 3rd to 6th. I've raced this car several times and never had this happen. Now its like I have to ease into 4th because I lost my confidence. Anyway just wondering if anyone else experienced this before.

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have the stock shift knob (this happened to me), I recommend replacing it; the vulcanized rubber surround on the threaded end had deteriorated and caused exactly what you describe. If not that, check motor and tranny mounts!

Hope it helps!

Mike

OP
OP
M

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the SVS short throw shifter. It seems to be getting a little notchy or harder than it was. I did get some wheel hop at the start but this noise was shifting into 4th just before trap. Could it have been between gears when I let the clutch out. Would that make alot of clanking noise from the trans. ?

OP
OP
M

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I'll have to try it again. If still happening I'll take to Macedo. Ward what is Syno(sp)?

OP
OP
M

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll miss that one Chuck. Going to Hawaii for 24th anniversary and Scott's graduation gift. I hope to make it to Homestead. Bought a Roush stage 3 might take it if the trans on the Viper is bad.

OP
OP
M

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not as fast as a Viper, but has great brakes and suspension. Oh yea and its Red thats got to make it a little faster :D

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't make an omelete without breaking some eggs. That's why I've never tracked my vehicles and forgone the bragging rights that go with it.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Help! Has anyone had this happen?

It is in your transmission, it is couple of gears that are between 3 & 4 th they synchronize the alignment of your gears so that you can shift smoothly between the gears. If they are bad you will grind the gears trying to shift from 3 to 4th, or inbetween any gears. There are sets( set is not the right word) between each gear, they generaly only go bad one set at a time,ie if you grind between all gears it is likely something else....clutch,shifter.etc.

Hope this make sense to you.....it is easier to tell in person, than to write about.

Cudaman :usa:

OP
OP
M

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Help! Has anyone had this happen?

It is in your transmission, it is couple of gears that are between 3 & 4 th they synchronize the alignment of your gears so that you can shift smoothly between the gears. If they are bad you will grind the gears trying to shift from 3 to 4th, or inbetween any gears. There are sets( set is not the right word) between each gear, they generaly only go bad one set at a time,ie if you grind between all gears it is likely something else....clutch,shifter.etc.

Hope this make sense to you.....it is easier to tell in person, than to write about.

Cudaman :usa:

Thanks Ward I'll have to give it another try. It seems ok if I shift slow. At the track trying make the shift quick just before going across finish line is when it happend. Maybe its what my brother in law said: sounds like a nut loose between the steering wheel and the driver seat :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32