HELP !! I don't want to get my doors blown off by a '03 Cobra this weekend !!

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HELP !! I don\'t want to get my doors blown off by a \'03 Cobra this weekend !!

Now there's a new little twist in my weekend........There's a local guy with an '03 Cobra that runs a 12.1 @ 119mph, and he wants to go racing with me on Saturday.

I really need to be able to drop a half second off my ET, or I'll get smoked by this guy, and he doesn't even have the pulley upgrade on his SC yet.

I know I just posted a question in this forum about racing, but now I really need your HELP !! Is there any little tricks you experts can share with me ??

Oh yeah, how much would smooth tubes actually do for me for Saturday ??

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: HELP !! I don\'t want to get my doors blown off by a \'03 Cobra this weekend !!

119 w/o pulley
bs[1].gif
someone correct me if I'm full of it, Thanks
supergrin.gif

Ask him what tires he used to get that 12.1 I bet they were not stock. Your ET is all about getting a good 60' what was your 60' on the 12.61 if you improve that your going to run much better. ET streets & skinnies will put you into the 11's for about $2,500 plus you'll need some HD half shafts at $1,200 other than that your SOL for Saturday.

Oh and don't powershift

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: HELP !! I don\'t want to get my doors blown off by a \'03 Cobra this weekend !!

12.1 at almost 120 in a stock s/c Mustang...? something isn't right.

G

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mike is 100% correct. There is absolutely zero chance an '03 Cobra ran 119 mph without a pulley upgrade, and if he says otherwise he's pulling your leg. Now I'm not saying an even smaller pulley doesn't exist, but I doubt it at this point. And given that he's ~15 psi already in a car with a fuel system designed for half that mcuh boost, even if there is a smaller pulley, his car may not make it down the track. Sounds like you need some tires if you don't have them already.

Ronnie

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score

check out the mustang magazines. You can bolt on a pulley off a lightning, and with sticky tires, pull an 11 sec run at 120 mph.
very scary for us.
But this was with one of the best magazine test drivers at the wheel.

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry,

I should've mentioned that he was running BFG Drag Radials when he made that pass in his Cobra. This guys got an exhaust upgrade, and a cool intake mod whatever that is...

Will smooth tubes give me any noticable geddy-up for Saturday ?? I have a chance to get a pair Thursday morning here locally.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan, smooth tubes aren't going to make a noticeable difference, although they're a good and inexpensive mod. And the Cobra still didn't run 119 through the quarter with the stock pulley either, on drag radials, slicks or tank tracks.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JH23JOB:

Will smooth tubes give me any noticable geddy-up for Saturday ?? I have a chance to get a pair Thursday morning here locally.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No way! You're gonna have to take one on the chin come Saturday. You won't win. Unless your cars being worked on right now. Those new Cobra's are fast! And very cheap to modify. To win and be comfortable, you'll need headers, exhaust, k&n's, throttle bodies, gears, and T&D's. Postpone the race and prepare. Just having a Viper isn't enough now a days & I'd hate to see you lose.
BURNOUT.gif

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually, He did run 12.1 @ 119mph....

I was shown his solo run time slip which had his car ID number also printed at the top of it, which matched the number on his card he filled out for the track officials at the time of registering, and tech inspection. I was really impressed to say the least. I was actually expecting him to be in the Very high 12's at best, but I guess when he ran it was a very cool day which I'm sure helped him a little bit too. He even pulled a 1.8 second 60 foot time with that run too, with a .585 RT. When I ran my best so far of a 12.61, it was 95 degrees and Very Humid. I would guess that I should at least get it under a 12.5 this time out, but who knows...

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You car can do that you just have to get the 60' down.......or run him on the street from a 20 roll.....my car is modded more than yours and I ran an 03 with drag radials,exhaust,filter and walked him like a DOG.

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Get Roe's Supercharger, will cost you about 7K. http://www.roeracing.com/
or, get (smooth tubes with K&N, exhaust and headers, Airbox with cutout rain baffle), will cost you about 4K. go to: http://www.roeracing.com/ , www.partsrack.com for price/info

i am also selling my Balanger headers and Heffner Airbox, e-mail me for info.

ndvipergtsr

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hey Dan,
I have a 96 gts and a 03 cobra, Now i'm sure he has the pulley mod if he ran 12.1@119. I ran mine this weekend and ran 11.93@116(i,m in fargo so probably close on conditions) and I have the pulley,chip,exhaust,cold air, m&h racemasters. Anyhow you need some sticky tires, cheapest easiest chance of beating him, if you could pick up some 60ft time. Maybe archer has some tricks for ya. Jerry

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds cool, but I doubt any of that'll happen before Saturday morning.

Is it a good idea to powershift? If so, All gears, or certain shifts ??

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan, no one is doubting that he ran the time--he just didn't do it with the STOCK pulley.

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My advise is to run as many passes as you can before you race him (if this is possible). Not only will you get some practice but your car will get faster as the computer adjusts to your driving. My first run at the track was 115 mph. On each pass the car got faster and until I topped out at 121+ mph.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tell him to meet you at the local track. I mean real track. Where there is turns, and straightaways, and such... That is what the Viper is all about. Not a straight line....

yesnod.gif

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, I'm heading out early in the morning with the guy and his '03 Cobra and I'll post our results here when I get back Sunday. I also got smooth tubes put on this afternoon. We'll have to see what a 50 degree day does for me this time.
Wish me luck !! Dan

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

so what happened with the race with the 03 Cobra? Update please!

Mike

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Cobra ran high 11's , but he DID have the pulley set up on the car. That's still very impressive for a car that retails for less than 1/2 of what a new Viper does.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Was the race fair? What I mean is, were both cars on street radials? If you were running radials and he was running drag slicks, that is not a fair comparision. With slicks and a good take off, you will cut .3 or more off your time.

Mike

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

OK, so NOW....

Ask him if he'd like to join you for a spirited competition on a roadcourse.

fair is fair.

meggleto

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan,

I just wanted to say hat's off to you for showing up and running against someone that you didn't think you could beat. There are a lot of guys that wouldn't have the balls to show up and race someone that they don't think they can beat.

As far as "fair" goes.....when you are at the drag strip anything is fair. It's not like the Cobra guy said Dan couldn't run out and get slicks, or even a supercharger. When you race someone you "run what you brung" and hope it's good enough. If it's not then you have an idea of what you need to do to win the next time. In this case Dan probably just need a pair of slicks and he'd easily be in the high 11's like the Cobra. With the slicks I'm sure Dan would be able to take the few tenths off his time that he needs to spank the Cobra.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21