HELP! My 98 GTS won't start. Any ideas welcome.

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HELP! My 98 GTS won\'t start. Any ideas welcome.

Here is my sad story. I went to start my 98 and the battery was dead even though I had a battery tender hooked up to the remote terminal under the hood. I used a booster to get it to crank but it wouldn't start and the battery wouldn't hold a charge. I replaced the battery and checked the obvious relays and fuses and I can't start it. It cranks but I can't hear the fuel pump prime and it won't start. Any ideas would be appreciated? I have seen a lot of fuel 1998 pumps go bad but all of them failed gradually not suddenly like this. Is there a remote switch somewhere from when the battery went dead and we opened the hood and set off the alarm like an auto shut off switch if the car thinks it is being stolen? I checked the auto shut off relay and it is fine. Everything electrical works in the car.

Any thoughts?

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: HELP! My 98 GTS won\'t start. Any ideas welcome.

Did you try resetting the alarm through the console switch in the glove box with the key?

OP
OP
Les Quam

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I inserted the key in the lock in the rear console but don't know what I am supposed to do after that? I turned it a couple of times but didn't notice any difference? If the alarm won't reset will the car crank and not start or just shut down completely?

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You only need to turn it once and hold for a second or two. You can also try arming the vehicle with the fob. Unarm with the fob and then enter the vehicle and try starting.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Most likely the fuel pump fuse if it's not the alarm. Have you had the car on a trickle charger or jumped it lately? That will some times pop the fuel pump fuse.

It's in the back near the radio amp.

Do you hear the fuel pump come on after you turn the key on, but haven't started it? You will hear the fuel pump turn on and start pumping once you turn the key on.

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Try this: When you crank pump the gas pedal like you would for a car that is not fuel injected. After you get it started, you might need to hold the throttle down at around 2000 rpm for 30 seconds to 1 minute before the computer will reset. Try this and report back.

Rev

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You should always hear the fuel pump run after turning the key to teh on position(no cranking). If you don't her it run for a second or so, you either have a:
1. Bad fuse
2. Bad relay
3. Bad fuel pump

I am betting on option 1 or 2.

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Had the same problem with my 98 GTS. Make sure the alarm is not faulty and disarmed for sure. Next, have someone turn the ignition on while you press on the schraeder valve on the right side of the engine. If gas squirts out, your fuel pump is fine. Check the fuelpump relay and fuelpump fuse in the left rear of the trunk next to the amplifier.

OP
OP
Les Quam

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks guys.
I don't hear the fuel pump come on when I turn the ignition, I didn't know their was a fuel pump fuse and relay in the luggage area near the amp I will check those today and report back.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There is also a relay up under the hood.

My '98 had a bad fuel pump once and I think that was pretty common that year. Check the fuse & relay 1st.

Thanks guys.
I don't hear the fuel pump come on when I turn the ignition, I didn't know their was a fuel pump fuse and relay in the luggage area near the amp I will check those today and report back.