Help needed

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am replacing the aluminum gas cap and collar on my GTS and am having a hard time getting the filler neck gasket over the new collar. How do you do this? You can't hold on to the filler neck while pushing on the collar. There has to be some sort of tool or something to make this process a lot easier. Also, the gasket is pretty firm so how do you actually get it around the new collar? The old one came off easily enough but trying to get the new one on well, it pretty much *****!
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Is the gasket rubber? If so, try softening iy in hot water. Makes it more pliable. As far as the collar thing, maybe ask the Grailkeeper?

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I took the rear wheel and liner off/out so I could hold onto the neck.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Use a pair of vise grips to hold the edge of the filler neck and lube the gasket with silcone spray, then pull and push it on!

OP
OP
I

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use a pair of vise grips to hold the edge of the filler neck and lube the gasket with silcone spray, then pull and push it on!

I tried that Dan and it did not work. I don't know why this is so hard but I cannot get this to work! I may try taking the wheel and liner off as mentioned above and get a friend to help me but it seems that there is an easier way to do this. For those that have bought aftermarket caps and put them on, what is the secret? Please enlighten me!

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty sure it was still a 2 person job even with the liner out. I was in the wheelwell holding the neck while my roommate was pushing the neck back on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950