HELP... Stoptech install problems - need help

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am doing the four wheel Stoptech big brake install and have run into problems. The first problem was that the rear driver side caliper mounting bracket had the stud holes drilled at offset angles instead of a 90 degree to the bracket seat. Both of the studs that the calipers mount to are at opposing 3 to 5 degree angles of tilt. Bottom line, the caliper will not go on the mounting bracket. Stoptech will hear about that one on Monday morning.

The second is that the ST-40 caliper boxes were mislabeled. There are two different sizes of bores on the pistons, and a 28 mm was put into a box labeled leading left and a 32 mm was put into the other leading right box. I could not locate anywhere in the install brochures or the Stoptech website which size goes on front or back. The system is trying to achieve a "balance", so maybe the larger pistons go on the rear?

Do any of you who have installed the Stoptech 4 wheel kit know which size goes on front and rear?

I am at least going to attempt to get 3 wheels finished today and the fourth when Stoptech sends the replacement parts.

It is my opinion that the Stoptech employee who boxed and quality controlled my order must have been having a bad day or on a mind altering substance. Is this par for the course with Stoptech?

Thanks for your help. :usa:

Newt

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your problems. I have StopTech on all four with 18" wheels, but I had them installed. This system is a fantastic brake set-up, and I'm sure StopTech will make it right. Good luck. Russ

OP
OP
N

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt from Stoptech returned a call, and is sending out replacement parts on Monday.