Help! Sync Throttle Bodies???

REDBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just picked up a '98 GTS. I have surging in 5th & 6th gear at around 60 mph. I also have bucking at low speeds. I've searched this issue and although there are posts on it with varying opinions I can't find one that spells out the exact procedure to sync the throttle bodies for a GEN II.
TIA!:D

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think its gonna be syncing the TB's. they dont need it on the gen2's

how old is the battery ?

OP
OP
R

REDBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think its gonna be syncing the TB's. they dont need it on the gen2's
I disagree at least for the low speed bucking. Adjust the linkage that connects the two throttle bodies by way of the torx-head screw with locking nut that is on the pasenger side of the linkage so that the driver's side opens ever so slightly before the passenger side and you should be in the ballpark. Keep playing with it and you will get it.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree at least for the low speed bucking. Adjust the linkage that connects the two throttle bodies by way of the torx-head screw with locking nut that is on the pasenger side of the linkage so that the driver's side opens ever so slightly before the passenger side and you should be in the ballpark. Keep playing with it and you will get it.

Try synching the throttle bodies as PhoenixGTS suggested. If the bucking continues, you may have an 02 sensor going bad.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you oiled your air filters lately?
Clean out the throttle bodies.
Remove the air inlet tubes, and look inside the throttle bodies, possibly oily and dirty. Clean, and clean the shafts (WD40, contact cleaner,.....). Cured my pulsating, which was primarily at idle.
Later,

OP
OP
R

REDBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you oiled your air filters lately?
Clean out the throttle bodies.
Remove the air inlet tubes, and look inside the throttle bodies, possibly oily and dirty. Clean, and clean the shafts (WD40, contact cleaner,.....). Cured my pulsating, which was primarily at idle.
Later,

Will do. Thanks.

OP
OP
R

REDBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cleaned throttle bodies even though they were clean, checked vaccum hoses and adjusted the throttle bodies so the driver's side opens just before the passenger side. They both were set to open at the same time before I adjusted them. Still have the surging at 1600 rpm in 5th and 6th gears...:confused::(:dunno::mad: Anyone else have any ideas? TIA.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about starting with the basics!
How many miles on her?
How old/miles on the spark plugs and wires/leads?
How is your fuel pressure and when was the fuel filter changed last?
Any check engine light on?
When was the last time the PCM was reset?
How old is the battery?

The search button may help or give me a call, I may be able to help? I'll be back to work on Sept. 2nd after VOI. :cool:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A brand new Optima Redtop is just a brand new piece of garbage vs. an old piece of garbage. Not saying its the culprit this time, but do yourself and replace the battery now before it strands you in a couple months. I had 4 die on me in two years. The Werker (aka "no namebrand") battery I got last time has been perfect for 8 months so far. Vipers do really funny things when the batteries are low. Its worth replacing now and not having to call a tow truck 6 months from now to get you home from dinner.

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/608699-optima-batteries-can-kiss-my.html

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure it's not simply from having tall gears? If someone isn't use to that type of gear ratio - it seems like it 'bucks'...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth