Help with 01 GTS!!!

QKSHIFT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to see if someone has had the problem... I have a 01 GTS with 14k miles on it. Got in the car this morning to drive and when I backed it out of the garage and stopped to put the door down I noticed the car was still trying to go with my foot on the brake. I shut the car off and have NO clutch!!! (Drove it friday with no problems) I checked the clutch fluid and it is at the very bottom. I see no fluid on the garage floor and do not have a lift to put the car on to check under the car. Has anyone had this problem before? and if so where is it leaking from???

Any help would GREATLY appricitated so that sometime soon I can get the car back out!!!
Thank you

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I'll bet on failure of the chutch slave cylinder...COMMON in older cars. I remember one member who went right through his garage wall with this same deal!!

UPDATE: Check to see that your pedal is still connected to the actuator rod!!

Last edited:

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah! What they said^^^^ Same problem with my 99 GTS. I bought the car a drove it for about 2,000 miles then notice it had a hard time going into 2,4, and 6th. NO LEAKING, just really low on fluid.

Stealerships "Viper" tech said Clutch.... Knew something was wrong there. Took it to my mechanic and it was the clutch cylinder. He charged me $800 total with the new mopar cylinder. Been 100% great since!

-Tim

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, slave cylinder, got it from Jon B for around $300 I think and swapped it myself, worked great ever since.

OP
OP
Q

QKSHIFT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
eBay OEM Luk clutch kits are ~$200. Slave is ~$250. If you want to DIY I have a full writeup on this at VA. No lift required easy to do from ramps.

dave,
cant find your post on VA. Could you direct me to it on that site.

Thanks

OP
OP
Q

QKSHIFT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll bump it just go to the Gen 1/2 section there.

Edit: bump done
Thanks Dave,
This should be fun..... I have the ramps but no low profile jacks that will go under the back of the car. Guess it might end up sitting for a while now until I can talk my brother into helping me with it.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dave,
This should be fun..... I have the ramps but no low profile jacks that will go under the back of the car. Guess it might end up sitting for a while now until I can talk my brother into helping me with it.

You can go around to in front of the rear wheel and catch the frame there to start lifting the rear. With the front already up on the ramps, that area is elevated. Just can't stroke the jack handle much with the jack rolled under the car. Bottom line is it can be done, and if you're trying to save a lot of money and also not go through the hassle of dealing with a mechanic, the PITA component is really not that bad.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's so fun trying to get a slammed car up off the ground onto blocks. Cool trick is to drive up on some boards... then jack that foo! Pull out tranny, place it onto chest and curse while you try to find out how to get it off your chest onto the floor without damaging anything. Then replace BOTH the slave and the master. Install the tranny and go play!

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a similar problem with my '01 back in the Spring when I was on my way to the track to visit and watch the sessions. Called a reliable tow and was going to bite the bullet and get it torn down. Managed to get some fluid and get the clutch to work well enough to get to my tech to lay out the repair procedures. We talked about it and he told me about a track 'Vette that had a similar issue a couple of years ago and what they tried at that time. We put some Lucas Power Steering Leak Seal into the system and worked the clutch a BUNCH of times to get it down to the slave. It was a long shot, but worth trying to see what we could come up with. The seal solution worked and I've put a couple of thousand miles on the car since. I intend to replace the slave seal and add a light weight flywheel, but for now, the Snake is doing just fine.

I don't recommend this for everyone, but if you stay near where you can get a safe reliable tow, it's worth trying. At least it may get you home from BFE to get a chance to fix the real problem.

Dave, I'll give you a call for some advice on doing it myself as we move into our LONG, HARD winter. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang