• $30,000-$35,000

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Less than $30,000

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters

vettegc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a 1996 b/w. This one has 36,000 miles.
I just did the carfax (looks like one minor accident):

Also here is some questions that I emailed him:
Ok can I get a few more details about the condition of the car? Sorry I'm just very picky on that stuff. Is the paint mint? Show room no…Does it have scrapes on the bumper? Yes because so low…I know that's pretty common because of how low these cars sit. Correct… Any other scrapes/scratches/rock chips? A couple small on very bottom…Also I here door sag and hood gaps from improper shutting are common? Not on the one…Everything work on the car? Yes… Shifts smoothly? Yes… The driver seat leather is usually worn? No its good.

You must be registered for see images attach

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$32,000

If the car was mint with 15k miles it would probably have an asking price of $42,000. Deduct about $5K for the mileage and the front fascia and another $5k for the accident, you get $32,000.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$32,000

If the car was mint with 15k miles it would probably have an asking price of $42,000. Deduct about $5K for the mileage and the front fascia and another $5k for the accident, you get $32,000.

$5k for an "accident" with $700 in damage???

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$5k for an "accident" with $700 in damage???

Yep... any documented accident history casts a shadow of doubt on the car and affects the re-sale of the car when there are plenty of cars with a clean history. A $700 accident on a 2010 could affect the resale closer to $10k imo.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep... any documented accident history casts a shadow of doubt on the car and affects the re-sale of the car when there are plenty of cars with a clean history. A $700 accident on a 2010 could affect the resale closer to $10k imo.

Absolutely ridiculous! We are talking about something stupid that could happen in a parking lot, small cosmetics only, no contact with another car with no chance of anything mechanical being broken/damaged. Hell, it could have just been a headlight for $700. Not something with a rebuilt title. It is a USED car. If you want a perfect car with 0 chance of stories, go to the dealership and pony up the $90k. If your looking for something used just look for something that's been taken care of. Major accident or rebuilt title, completely agree that it HEAVILY affects the price. If i was interested in that vehicle I wouldn't be concerned with THAT accident and I wouldn't lowball the owner because of it. The absolutely perfect cars that do come up for sale everyone thinks is waaay to expensive.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with MT on this, but I think V10 was simply saying how the market sees it....not that V10 is endorsing the view.

The market is not always rational....for example I'd rather take a car that had been bumped in the parking lot (or even scraped along a guard rail, had panels replaced and painted), than a car that had whacked a wall ******* a track somewhere, bent the frame....got fixed and never reported any of it to carfax.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with MT on this, but I think V10 was simply saying how the market sees it....not that V10 is endorsing the view.

The market is not always rational....for example I'd rather take a car that had been bumped in the parking lot (or even scraped along a guard rail, had panels replaced and painted), than a car that had whacked a wall ******* a track somewhere, bent the frame....got fixed and never reported any of it to carfax.

Exactly !

Perception is reality in this situation especially with a low to the ground sports car with a somewhat ominous reputation.

herbbone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damage happened at 16K, car has double that. Seems to me has been running OK. I actually like cars that have been driven. Usually that means owners maintain them. I bought a low milage car once and after driving it alot of stuff started to fail. Hoses, exhaust, etc. See if someone can check it out for you.

herbbone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That does not mean owners that want to keep their cars with low miles don't keep up their cars maintained, just sayin if I am going to drive it alot I will make sure that I don't want any stuff bad to happen that could have been prevented.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As to the damage. Yes, it lowers the value to the prissy buyer. For the buyers that want to drive the car to enjoy the performance, and style, it will mean nothing other than a negotiating point. As the seller, I would deflect that negotiating tactic as irrelevant. As others have said, there are Viper owners that are in it for the driving experience and others that are in it for the show off experience. I don't think that the latter would be looking at an "ultra high" mileage car like this. 36,000 miles is way over their target, IMHO. For a driving enthusiast, this car is a great deal, and has low miles as a driver quality car.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Point of view is everything on accident history's affect on the value... The same people will make good arguments for both sides as they transition from buyer to potential seller. Buy low and sell low with a car with accident history and enjoy the car provided that it was repaired correctly. Miles driven after the accident is a good barometer. The only way you lose is if you take a clean title and add the accident history yourself or if you pay clean title value for a car with a compromised title.

Last edited:

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The majority of the population would look at that car and think it's a 2010 or "brand new." They would consider 36k miles low for a 96 and they would think 40K is a steal to get into a car like that when you can get into a loaded Mustang GT for the same price. Sadly, once they start researching the cars and come to these forums they reshape their expectations.

Acura NSX cars from the early 90s with 100k miles go for 35-40K. Unfortunately people that sold their cars when the economy tanked just continue trying to sell people how low these cars are worth. "A car is worth only what someone is willing to pay" is such a basic blanket statement. If the Viper community was as passionate about marketing their cars as they are about washing them, the price would go up. Even Kelly Blue Book values these cars higher than the owners.

With the new Vipers coming out at 100K+ and having them look much more like the Gen II I fully expect values of the Gen II to move higher than the Gen III as many will likely think "Hey I can get a car that looks just as great at a fraction of the price." Though it's still a ways out, there is no denying the worth of these cars down the road and whether people get a "steal" at 35K OR 45K will be moot years down the road when they are worth much more than a new exotic. Some people sell these cars locally, through Hemmings and other avenues and they sell for more than Fleabay. Hopefully I never have to sell but if I do I will stay far away from the "advice" on the forums for the people that supposedly value these cars with the most vehement of passion.

A 700 dollar repair doesn't affect much at all in reality but unfortunately people here HELP shape potential buyers expectations...in the most negative of ways.

Stonep185

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is that below the front emblem? Can't tell from the photo... Damage spot? Also it looks to be missing a fog light cover.

Goatman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would definitely suggest having a PPI done at Tomball dodge before you buy it. They have a great tech there. I would not sweat the small stuff with the car, just drive it and enjoy it. I bought mine in October of last year. It had 14,450 miles on it now I have over 22k on it. I love every minute in my Viper. I wont be home from work until the first week of September, if no one has looked at it for you by then I will swing by there for you.

OP
OP
V

vettegc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everybody. He said he wants $35,000. Its a tough decision as I want to make the best deal I can.

I want a 96 b/w. So I guess the question is can I do better for around the same price?

There is one on autotrader for $32,500 but it has 55,000 miles.
I see a lot in the low $40's for low mileage ones.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
IMO, $35,000 is in the ballpark for that car as long as no major problems are found. That is about what they are worth with that mileage.

Last edited:

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The COST of the car to you should be 32-35k depending on the seller's eagerness. The VALUE of the car to you will be much higher :drive:

Burt G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may find your own answers once the PPI is performed by a knowledgeable Viper Technician... Best of luck with your purchase just dont make a hasty decision.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The COST of the car to you should be 32-35k depending on the seller's eagerness. The VALUE of the car to you will be much higher :drive:

+1 on this so long as everything checks out. The car would be $36-37k without the accident history.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check to see if the frame recall, etc... has been done on it too.

Looks like a nice car for a nice price. See if you can knock a couple $thousand off it and you'll be real happy!

OP
OP
V

vettegc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may find your own answers once the PPI is performed by a knowledgeable Viper Technician... Best of luck with your purchase just dont make a hasty decision.

I did have a local viper owner look at it. He gave it a 8/10. Paint was good. Very few swirls. Tires were out of date. Stone chip in windshield. Small tear in drivers seat. Engine bay was dirty. Looked like aftermarket door speakers. Hood seemed to have good alignment and stay upright. Overall solid but reccommended I get Tomball dodge to inspect it.

Tried to get him to take it to Tomball, Dodge for PPI but he said he wasnt gonna be jumping through hoops. I think I pissed him off a little. I think he was willing to take $33,000 but it would be without PPI.

Ev0lv3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So have the gentleman who looked the car over take it to tomball for you. Sounds like he's pissed because you want to get it inspected. And if he wanted to sell the car he should be willing to take it there for you on YOUR dime and let it be checked out. Maybe he thinks they'll find something, and thats why he lowered the price by 2 grand right away.