Hennesseys Cars

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like you I bought mine from the original owner. He had the car converted to Venom 550 in Oct of 1994 I think. Although I seem to be the only one really interested in driving it (11k in 8yrs) I have put around 3k on the car in 3 months and love every minute of it. Takes real restraint to leave it in the garage.

I haven't had any problems. Just changed plugs and all looks good. So far I'm lovin' it. I'm keeping an eye on the valve seals though I think I'm going to replace them just because I enjoy working on the car and they are 8 years old and I think maybe hardened over the years.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had 650R built and it made the HP that John claimed it would (572 RWHP). It is very fast (especially on spray -745 RWHP)and I haven't had any problems with it other than the crowds that gather to check it out. If you feel any reservations about the car, have it dynoed. Then you will know.
Good luck.

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have a 650R - The darn thing rocks.
And NO there are not any used parts on my car.

Go to the Dyno.

Regards,

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 94 venom 500+ Almost everything was installed that should have been back in 94. I also bought it used so didn't deal direct at the time. The only real problem it had was the comp cams rockers HMS used back then. They are no good and if you car has them you should get them off as soon as possible. I was a couple of revolutions away from dropping a valve because of them. The car is strong and I still love to drive it, although I like driving the new one better. My 2000 is in my garage again with the motor in pieces (I just can't ever stop tinkering) so I have been driving the 94 (which I was supposed to sell last summer, but decided to wait till this spring because I was lazy, wife loves that!). The funny thing is that I drove the car for years and never realized that when HMS installed the rear, they never did anything with the speedo calibration. So, not only did I think I was going faster than I was, I was putting bogus mileage in the odometer. Everyone knows the rest of the story from there. Anyway I can never hurt to get you car to a dyno and or the track to see what it is really putting out. Good luck!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good place to start would be to have the car Dynoed. If it does make the HP/torque numbers, you likely got all the parts. If the numbers are not there, neither are all the parts. That simple. Seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why some cars left as partials, and some got all that was paid for.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Took my '98 to John first in August '01 and got a Venom 500+. Went back in January '02 and upgraded to Venom 650R plus additional upgrades listed in my signature. All new parts, excellent workmanship and customer service. Can't help but smile every time I crank it up! Only problem is my wife complaining about the pictures on the walls in the house needing to be straightened all the time. Not done yet...more HMS HP & TQ to come on motor only....no NOS, no forced induction. Curious? I'll post when completed on my HMS VENOM _ _ _ R! Did someone with a license plate that reads " DUMB ASP " call me out? See you in September!
BURNOUT.gif
tongue.gif
laugh.gif
devil.gif

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Venom 650 that dynoed at 466 rwhp. A complete tear down of the engine revealed some used parts (T&D rockers) and a lot of stock parts. If you have any question, get the car dynoed.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked with him earlier. I will touch base with him tomorrow.
I'm getting used to the power on motor already. NEED MORE POWER!
I'm kind of spoiled like that. As it is, the nitrous is addictive!

GaryA, did you ever contact John about the deficiencies with your car? How could you tell the T&D's were used before you used them? Did you run the car before the tear down? I'm no mechanic so what would the difference be between use by you or another car? How could I tell? Was your cam stock? Heads?

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getbit:

John and I exchanged emails and I proposed a solution. After that I never heard from him.

As far as the used parts go, the T&D rockers were all different colors and had scratches all over them (not on functional surfaces).

The cam is stock. The heads had some basic porting done to them. The car dynoed at 466 rwhp after the Venom 650 package was installed by HMS.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice to hear, Lee! Nice color combo, too!
With all the bad press Hennessey has been getting, the rumors fly. What seems to be the be the problem most complaing about has been his lack of communication with some owners. It is few and far between the owners whose cars don't make the advertised power. I would think the percentage of the cars HMS has built that have had power problems is no worse than any other tuner. Think of how many Venom cars are out there total. I personally have seen (NOT SAYING ANY NAMES) other Vipers built by REPUTABLE tuners that FAILED to make power. I truly feel this is due to the nature of TUNED cars, not necessarily the tuner himself. I have had many cars built and have NEVER had one that was problem free. If you want a (for the most part) "garanteed" trouble-free Viper, leave it stock. My Venom car is the first so far. If I do have problems though, I have no doubt HMS will take care of me. Time will tell. I truly hope that Gary finds a solution to his problem with HMS. He does have that responsibility to his customers. Since Hennessey has VOLUNTARILY removed himself from this board, I urge all to email him with further questions as opposed to the constant "why won't John defend himself" threads that propogate this board.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by getbit:
I have had many cars built and have NEVER had NO PROBLEMS.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jason, We missed you and Prashant (maybe Ellison too) at Road Atlanta this year. A friendly reminder... Watch your double negatives!
laugh.gif

Signed, Bigs Industrial Strength Grammar Correction Service.
smile.gif

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don,
Hope to make it to the next Panoz event.

As for my grammar, if you read it slowly, it is correct - though I admit it does sound awkward so I edited the post to help you guys. To say I have NEVER had ANY PROBLEMS would infer I have never experienced any problems. That is not what I meant. I had always had some kind of problem with tuned cars of some sort hence...I have NEVER had NO PROBLEMS. Think about it a bit...

Hope to see you on the track again soon.
Take care

Ken Larsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard HMS just sent all the parts and refund the money he owed people.

APRIL FOOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bounce.gif

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by getbit:
Nice to hear, Lee! Nice color combo, too!
With all the bad press Hennessey has been getting, the rumors fly. What seems to be the be the problem most complaing about has been his lack of communication with some owners. It is few and far between the owners whose cars don't make the advertised power. I would think the percentage of the cars HMS has built that have had power problems is no worse than any other tuner. Think of how many Venom cars are out there total. I personally have seen (NOT SAYING ANY NAMES) other Vipers built by REPUTABLE tuners that FAILED to make power. I truly feel this is due to the nature of TUNED cars, not necessarily the tuner himself. I have had many cars built and have NEVER had one that was problem free. If you want a (for the most part) "garanteed" trouble-free Viper, leave it stock. My Venom car is the first so far. If I do have problems though, I have no doubt HMS will take care of me. Time will tell. I truly hope that Gary finds a solution to his problem with HMS. He does have that responsibility to his customers. Since Hennessey has VOLUNTARILY removed himself from this board, I urge all to email him with further questions as opposed to the constant "why won't John defend himself" threads that propogate this board.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please don't take this as jumping on the bandwagon. But how can it be bad press when someone can't pay their bills from parts shops to UPS and FedEx and to be sued by them??? How can it be bad press when he puts CUSTOMERS he OWES MONEY TO FROM FLORIDA IN JAIL?????? How can it be bad press when he owes MANY people 30k, 40k, 10k, 140k?? In the US and abroad? These are ONLY the cases we have heard about! I"m sure many , many more are just to embarrassed about the situation...

I guess it's all rumors? I guess the people on this board are just making this ALL UP? I'm glad your car is making the power it is. I would be a very happy customer also if mine did.
LA. isn't very far from Texas is it?? hmmmm.
I take it all the customers that have posted on this board and other boards are just making things up? Why doesn't he contact them? Why does he dodge calls? ? ? ? This is speculation, but I personally don't think you'll hear much more from customers, except good things (which I'm sure he will use this board for), as 'cases' are being built....

Gerald

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don,
That is not what I meant. I had always had some kind of problem with tuned cars of some sort hence...I have NEVER had NO PROBLEMS.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OH! Well, Uhhhh.... Never mind then!

I should have known, you usually write what you mean... Sorry!

Signed Bigs Humble "Been Corrected" Service...
embarass.gif

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by Gerald:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I guess it's all rumors? I guess the people on this board are just making this ALL UP?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jesus, what is with your rant? I never said the things that HMS is accused of is true or not. I am only objectively posting on a thread that asked for info from HMS VENOM OWNERS! That would be me. No offense buddy, but it seems that you and the HMS police feel as if Venom owners have no right to post here either. I, unlike yourself, don't feel the need to hop up on
the soap box everytime HMS is uttered around here. Once again for the slow: the thread, if you can read the title, asked for HMS owners responses so I responded. Please show some respect to those who are sharing our experience with our cars with others the chance to be proud of what we own without you naysaying. I believe the reitteration of John's rap sheet is
uncalled for. Enzo is obviously fully aware of the accusations
against HMS (as stated in the beginning of this thread). If you take the time to READ my post, you will understand that it is unbiased and true. The only opinions I stated were pointed out clearly to be opinions - not disguised to be fact.

THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE! Not yours or anyone elses.

Start a new thread about YOUR bad experience if you would like.
Let's just stick to the topic at hand.

If you have a problem with my posts, please feel free to email me and I'll give you my phone number to set your mind at ease as to my position on the HMS scandal.

thanks

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm also not the original owner of my Venom 600 however, I had it Dynoed and at 40,000 miles it still makes 547 rwhp and 580.3 ft lbs torque

mplsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car was sent down in the fall of 2001 to hms shop because the motor spun 2 rod bearings after only 8000 miles on it john said he would repair it john would not return calls or e mails the car has never run right since 1997 and has been at his shop 3 times
While at the shop I got a tip on the internet and x employees that the car is slowly being parted out in December 2001 my transport guy made a trip to pick up the car after I told john 3 days before in advance that he was coming when he arrived the hood was missing and the motor and rear end was removed there was no reason for the rear end to be removed the block is junk the crank is junk someone improperly welded it the welds are flaking off and damaged the cylinder walls . The heads that I got back where missing all the hi performance valve train parts the heads where in the process of being ported this should have been done when I paid for the 650r mods in 1998 the car has been in his shop longer than it has been in my garage since 1997
The cruse control does not work damage to the dash was also done when it was installed the dash also rattles now any ideas? Don

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
once again, its the texas guys defending john.. like i said, no one is going to screw somebody when they are 2 towns over..

and the second owners of the VENOM cars that are making the correct amount of horsepower probably bought the cars from a previous owner down in texas.

some people need to get off johns di*k and realize sh*t isnt right..

- eddie -

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Gerald,
I second these comments from getbit. What is your problem? Did you personally have experience with HMS? I thought you had DLM upgrades. The original post did not ask for information about DLM. Are you that insecure about your DLM upgrades beyond the dyno performance that you have to continually bad mouth HMS and legitimate HMS Venom owners? Go tighten your SC belts and give us a break.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry guys, just post away please. I"m happy your happy with your cars! I'm not taking anything away from anyone. He was a great tuner, just ran into a brick wall I guess, who knows. Hurt alot of people.. Some I know, some I don't. It's not just a case or two. It's DOZENS. If you want to defend him, great!!! I don't care. You shouldn't take it so personal when REAL ppl were hurt real bad .What is so hard to understand about that? I'm not trashing anyone that owns a 650R, not even you guys! In fact, I love you guys..
cool.gif
.. They're great cars AND f'ing fast and sound MEAN! Have you been reading the board? Are the people making this up!??????????? Are they?
Don't you want to protect other people that this might happen to? What do we have to gain? Do I seriously need to answer that???? How about to protect other VCA members and other Viper owners form their hard earned money?
OK, I"m done with THIS thread, post away..

MY BELT IS TIGHT AND WHISTLIN' DIXIE!!!
cool.gif

GERALD

[/B][/QUOTE]

Clayton Kresge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mplsviper:
The cruse control does not work damage to the dash was also done when it was installed the dash also rattles now any ideas? Don

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cruise control??

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eddie N:
once again, its the texas guys defending john.. like i said, no one is going to screw somebody when they are 2 towns over..

and the second owners of the VENOM cars that are making the correct amount of horsepower probably bought the cars from a previous owner down in texas.

some people need to get off johns di*k and realize sh*t isnt right..

- eddie -

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
eddie,
First of all, two towns over in Texas is not a short distance down the road. From my home in the DFW area to HMS in Houston is about 300 miles. Not exactly convenient for me to just fly down in my Viper if I have a problem. My point being that Venom owners in Texas have no advantage over Venom owners elsewhere as far as getting the upgrades they paid for and HMS obviously has a vested interest in taking care of all of their customers regardless of proximity. Also, I have seen several Venom owners post that are happy with their cars that are not from Texas.
As far as your last comment goes, I'm not surprised that you know all about getting off of other people's d!cks seeing you are from Hollywood....eddie!
redface.gif
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by Gerald:
Jesus, what is with your rant? I never said the things that HMS is accused of is true or not. I am only objectively posting on a thread that asked for info from HMS VENOM OWNERS! That would be me. No offense buddy, but it seems that you and the HMS police feel as if Venom owners have no right to post here either. I, unlike yourself, don't feel the need to hop up on
the soap box everytime HMS is uttered around here. Once again for the slow: the thread, if you can read the title, asked for HMS owners responses so I responded. Please show some respect to those who are sharing our experience with our cars with others the chance to be proud of what we own without you naysaying. I believe the reitteration of John's rap sheet is
uncalled for. Enzo is obviously fully aware of the accusations
against HMS (as stated in the beginning of this thread). If you take the time to READ my post, you will understand that it is unbiased and true. The only opinions I stated were pointed out clearly to be opinions - not disguised to be fact.

THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE! Not yours or anyone elses.

Start a new thread about YOUR bad experience if you would like.
Let's just stick to the topic at hand.

If you have a problem with my posts, please feel free to email me and I'll give you my phone number to set your mind at ease as to my position on the HMS scandal.

thanks

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Getbit, I have nothing against you. Sorry you take offense. Just trying to help anyone out like the poor soul above. Again, I'm very glad you have had a good experience with your car!! More power to you.. I don't think for one second you should be upset with me. What did I do? There is a much bigger picture..

Regards,

Gerald

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper