Here are some pics for those afraid to drive their viper in the rain

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try Snow! Here are some camera phone shots from last year when I drove 32 hours straight from Norcal to Edmonton in my SRT10 convert with bald runcraps ( original tires , 28K kilometers on them ) on the back. The last 10 - 12 hours of the trip were through this crap and worse, at one point the highway I was on was shut down for blizzard warnings near Hope BC. So if you ever get stuck in the snow in your viper , just remember, Vipers can drive in any weather, you just may have to counter steer a little bit every now and then!
Photo_041506_006.jpg

Photo_041506_004.jpg

Photo_041506_003.jpg

Photo_041506_001.jpg

Photo_041406_001.jpg

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are some scary pics going downhill and turning with all that power and no nannies.
Racing is one thing, but being on gaurd for hour after hour on the highway seems arduous.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rain is fine with me but the tires are a bit slick for snow... Be careful out there.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously photoshopped. Everybody knows cars without TC can't be driven in the snow...or rain...or dry road...or on a track...

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously photoshopped. Everybody knows cars without TC can't be driven in the snow...or rain...or dry road...or on a track...

NO photo choppin here chuck, drivin in the snow is like riding a bike, its kinda like you when you are power sliding around the track only in the mountains there are no walls to help save your ass!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can think of at least of a dozen anti-rain driving members here who probably had a coronary seeing those pics! :omg:

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks like fun...

When I lived up in Jersey... I used to take every car in the snow.... It shows your skills very quick.....

I remember one time I got stuck in a 8 inch snow storm with my honda s2000 and I had to go to court for a speeding ticket... Since where the court was didn't have as much snow I had to make it there to fight the ticket......

Talking about a pain driving in that... especially with that car.... Its really funny because I had 2 or 3 explorers pass me and get stuck in snow banks.... I just hovered on the snow pretty much steering the car like a bad 70's movie.....

Joe

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I used to live in Canada and had only one car....a '94 Thunderbird Supercoupe (lots of torque) it was a tough thing to drive that car in snow and in snow and ice storms....I always turned the traction control off, went nice and easy and learned to feel the slightest bit of oversteer before it became "uncatchable".....but I would never try it in my Viper!!!

Way to go GTS-R 001!!

Regards,
Aaron

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I see where you are headed here, Chuck~;) LOL! I turn off my traction control in the snow, it works on rainy/slippery roads, but NOT in snow....AT ALL......!!! ~juli

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Uh.... In the late 80's I drove an Opel Manta (RWD, no TC of course) in snow for 4+ months of the year (in Finland). Lots of snow... Tires with spikes, yes, but no other nannies...

Obviously, what I and most other people did in Finland back then, cannot be done... Wow! :cool:

Peter

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meh, that's alright and all, but having driven on a solid sheet of ice covering the road...

Attachments

• ViperIceLawn2.JPG
    ViperIceLawn2.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 22

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there and done that.....you can look at my photos. I was "snowed in" on the way to VIO8 after I took a side trip to Telluride. I went though the pass outside of Denver in a snowstorm.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kudos. I think most folks balk at driving in the rain or snow because it will mess up their wax job. :D

No stranger to high-power rwd cars in the snow here. But like the guy above, watch out for black ice conditions. I got surprised once by it at just 10 mph. Had driven 2 hours out despite blizzard conditions (not a dusting) to find my destination had just been plowed, but the surface was now iced over. I had no inkling by feel or glare until I turned the wheel gently and the car kept going. I popped the curb, but floored it (floats the rear) and turned the front (shifts the rest of the car as much as the tires) and managed to slide at a 35 to 40 degree angle between a hundred year old oak and a street sign with inches to spare. Luck is a wonderful thing. :lmao:

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think folks are missing the sarcasm in Chuck's post, I thought it was great. He's taking a shot at all the rags etc out there that bang on the Viper for not having traction control - can't do snow, the rain, dry road or a track - get it - while we have pics here of serious snow driving. Anyway, I thought it was a good stab of sarcasm at the bogus Viper reviewers out there, maybe we should email these pics to the mags and say "traction control, we don't need no stinkin traction control", not when you can drive anyway. :headbang:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think folks are missing the sarcasm in Chuck's post, I thought it was great. He's taking a shot at all the rags etc out there that bang on the Viper for not having traction control - can't do snow, the rain, dry road or a track - get it - while we have pics here of serious snow driving. Anyway, I thought it was a good stab of sarcasm at the bogus Viper reviewers out there, maybe we should email these pics to the mags and say "traction control, we don't need no stinkin traction control", not when you can drive anyway. :headbang:

YEP, what I said in an earlier post up a bit farther!!!! I caught the sarcasm!!! ~juli

V

Venomiss

Pictures of a snow queen being driven. Hope you had a fun time while making everyone's heads turn.:D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that takes guts. I would not think a Viper could move in the snow, let alone drive for 12 hours. I always wanted to do it but was worried the car would never make it back into the driveway, let alone trying to explain to the insurance company why my car was out in the snow if something happened. :)

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What on earth could have been in Edmonton that was so important!!!
My hat's off to you, I've driven that road many times in the winter (looks like the Cochihalla to me, #5 Hope to Kamloops), but wouldn't try it in my GTS!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960