Hi-flo cats

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What options are there? What differences are there between them (hp, heat, cost, etc.)? I'm looking at having them changed while having the yellowing side sills replaced...

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John...you can remove them completely. I went with the Sean Roe 3" exhaust kit with the oval hi-flo cats since norms are different in Italy and I plan to take my car there early this coming year. The temp change is very noticeable when they are replaced. The stock cats are so restrictive it is pathetic. I think in your car it would be beneficial to remove the cats completely if norms allow that in your area. How's the car coming?

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's an interesting question I had as well, what are the ramifications of simply removing them (increased sound, inspection issues, etc.)?

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack the cats! I too was concerned about the sound/smell, etc., but once you lose the cats, you'll never want them back.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vipera:
....The smell with no cats was at best miserable, almost asphyxiated myself in stop and go traffic!! The heat drops dramatically with no cats, a little less with the hi-flo. Keep the high flow cats on they sound great. A VERY NOTICEABLE difference in sound between the stock system.
You'll love it!
bounce.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vipera quotes Exactly our experience as well...... But to clarify, I think Vipera means the heat drops w/ hi-flow are almost as dramatic as with no cats.....ie 'a little less dramatic'....

That is our experience as well.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kid97GTS:
Jack the cats! I too was concerned about the sound/smell, etc., but once you lose the cats, you'll never want them back.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Seems like the hi-flo would lessen the smell issue though, don't need no stinkin' viper LOL

So far I understand there are Magnacore, Random Technology, and Sean Roe hi-flo cats, any others out there, any differences between them?

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After ~ 6 months, I've thrown the towel in on the cat delete concept. While I have overcome the c/e light issue, the exhaust odor and sound level are just too much. I just ordered high flow cats from Parts Rack today. I am hoping that a bit more backpressure might not be detrimental to power and performance.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should add that my car is equipped with a full Belanger header/exhaust system. Currently it has bullet mufflers in place of cats. Bullets out - cats in asap!

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ACR Joe:
I should add that my car is equipped with a full Belanger header/exhaust system. Currently it has bullet mufflers in place of cats. Bullets out - cats in asap!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget the skirt.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kid97GTS:
Don't forget the skirt.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Kid what's up? Glad to see your still out there lurking for some fresh prey and pleased that I could be of service!

Seriously though, I understand your feelings. I never thought I'd be inclined to put cats back on, but quite honestly I'm concerned about my health. The exhaust odor actually burns my eyes and sinuses, while the sound level has effected my hearing. These symptoms are evident for weeks after (aggressive) driving. As a result, I felt it would be wise to take appropriate corrective action and hope that the effects on power and performance are negligible.

PS - Being unattached, skirts are something I'm constantly focused on.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You can get two properly configured high flow cats (metallic o-ring retaining substrate and dyno tested) that have a 5 year/ 50K mile warranty and do not diminish HP for $250 a pair. These are oval and fit well within the odd shape of the side sill.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4