Holy crap! ACR-X (deserves a new thread)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where do I begin? The thing is fast. Really, really fast. It smoked everything. It started in third and by the end of the first lap it was 5 seconds ahead of second place. By the third lap it was so far out in front it looked like Micheal Jordan playing against grade schoolers.

Good lawd, this is a street car with a cage and it's beating purpose built racecars? Stupid me didn't bring a stopwatch but the whispers in the pits were 2:06.

The tires were Michelin slicks.

ACR-X Cup will be the Series to watch this year. To heck with ALMS and World Challenge BS. I dumped my cable tv a year ago because there is nothing worth watching, but it looks like I'll have to get it back so I can watch the Vipers on Versus.

THANK YOU DODGE!

I gotta find a way to get me an ACR-X. Is having a child then selling him/her still illegal? If so, how do we go about getting that oppressive law repealed?

When is the raffle? If it's an ACR-X I'll buy ten tickets right now.

vpr hlr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We were fortunate enough to meet the crew at Palm Beach Raceway on Tuesday morning for some of the car testing. Just watched as Kuno Wittmer took the car through it's paces. The car looks and sounds amazing. He is a CANADIAN driver after all. !!!!!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where do I begin? The thing is fast. Really, really fast. It smoked everything. It started in third and by the end of the first lap it was 5 seconds ahead of second place. By the third lap it was so far out in front it looked like Micheal Jordan playing against grade schoolers.

Good lawd, this is a street car with a cage and it's beating purpose built racecars? Stupid me didn't bring a stopwatch but the whispers in the pits were 2:06.

The tires were Michelin slicks.

ACR-X Cup will be the Series to watch this year. To heck with ALMS and World Challenge BS. I dumped my cable tv a year ago because there is nothing worth watching, but it looks like I'll have to get it back so I can watch the Vipers on Versus.

THANK YOU DODGE!

I gotta find a way to get me an ACR-X. Is having a child then selling him/her still illegal? If so, how do we go about getting that oppressive law repealed?

When is the raffle? If it's an ACR-X I'll buy ten tickets right now.

You are 100% correct about it being an incredible road course car. I watched it a good part of the day Tuesday at Palm Beach International Raceway. It is one mean machine. But it's a little different than a street car. It has forged pistons, a new set of air deflectors/fins on the bottom inside part of the front fascia for increased brake cooling, no cats, Mopar controller, the doors are hollow, and many other "street" car items are not there. It also has a second set of conards (sp?) on the front for even more down force.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta find a way to get me an ACR-X. Is having a child then selling him/her still illegal?

I understand Angelina and/or Madonna are looking to add to their brood:lmao:

The only problem I see is that you will have to sell the brat on contingency 'cause you'll need the money right away to buy your X!

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck.....
are you gonna force us to read your posts about finding a way to purchase this mean meachine, and how you are poor & can not afford one? I've been reading those posts now since 2003, if you haven't saved enough money by now you never will.

I can only imagine the excitement that you felt watching,

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bob,

Where did you see this...? I have looked around, but I cant find that anywhere? I was under the impression it basically is just a "tested street engine" with Mopar controller and exhaust.

Dick Winkles, SRT drivetrain engineer, who was at Palm Beach and Sebring, told me when I asked about the differences between the normal ACR and the ACRX. The car also has headers, a racing seat, a fuel cell, and a light weight flywheel. Note in the ACRX insert supplied with our Viper Quarterly magazine the use of the words: "Additional racing components have been included to meet the added durability and relaibility requirements for competition." Dick is a gifted engineer who is a fanatic for detail, consistent performance, and reliability. If I remember what he said correctly, not only are the pistons forged, they were developed specifically for the ACRX and for track use. Chrysler/Dodge does dyno stand testing with the engines and really makes sure that the drivetrain can hold up to the assigned task. A regular ACR is a fabulous, streetable track car. The ACRX is a dedicated track car. It is not streetable - at least legally. It is also incredibly fast. Watching it go around Palm Beach International Raceway's road course at speed bordered on a religious experience.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how much different in times from a standard ACR do you think it would be ? was there any ACR's to compare it to ?

woosch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just as a note of comparison, last weekend SCCA ran at Sebring, the GT1 cars were running in the 2:10 range... So if the ACR-X was running 2:06's it would have run away from the GT1 cars... wow, just wow!!!

tfrancis

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is still time to get one of the first group of cars to be built. The deadline for the first 25 cars will be this coming Tuesday. Buying now also locks in the 110,000.00 price.

The SRT guys are here at Sebring tuning on the car. It has been wicked FASSST Kuno turned a 208.692 yesterday compare that with Sonny Whelens 212.639 in a full blown World Challenge Corvette. Pretty impressive for a factory built race car.

Give me a call or email me 888-960-3333 [email protected].

Tom Francis
Viper Race HQ

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
how much different in times from a standard ACR do you think it would be ? was there any ACR's to compare it to ?

At the Laguna Seca reveal in November, the standard ACR with production cup tires did a 1.33.9, a new track record. The ACR-X was 3 seconds faster. And with a day of setup BOTH cars would have been faster still......

mcar00

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WOW!! I heard that in the hour and a half enduro today the ACR-X qualified 4th behind only 2 Elans and the Riley Track Day car (which is pretty damn fast). It was also faster than all the Comp Coupes present as well as all the Porsche Cup cars! Very impressive to say the least. Congratulations to Dodge for building a kick a$$ track car and, equally important, selling it at an unbelievably low price! :beer:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We were fortunate enough to meet the crew at Palm Beach Raceway on Tuesday morning for some of the car testing. Just watched as Kuno Wittmer took the car through it's paces. The car looks and sounds amazing. He is a CANADIAN driver after all. !!!!!

I could have sworn he was GERMAN !! But you are correct

World Challenge - Kuno Wittmer

Last edited:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forged pistons, huh... I had heard some rumors floating around about a year ago that three changes were going to eventually be made to the ACR, so I posed them to the SRT guys during the last chat session. One of them was the forged pistons (the other two were revised 5th gear ratio and Mopar headers that would be 50-state legal). All of them kind of got brushed aside as "not possible because of EPA restrictions", "ACR and regular Viper trannys all have the same ratios and the ratio has always been the same", and "not that I know of." Two out of three aint bad so I need to start feeding my buddies some more beer :) Now if they end up offering a 50-state header/exhaust package, I'll have to move up to the kegerator...

By the way, speaking of headers, is Bellanger making the headers for the ACR-X?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Martin. Dick did not say that the regular ACRs will have forged pistons. Remember. I was asking him about the differences between the regular ACR and the ACRX. Also note that the ACRX comes with headers. Since there is going to be a dedicated racing series for ACRXs, I would be surprised if any mods are allowed on the car for purposes of competing in the series. Each race will be a battle among the suspension tune, tire selection, air pressure and who is the best driver.

Last edited:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So happy that Dodge woke up!

Proving that the folks at SRT really are "car guys", building a "car guys" car for "car guys".

Let's just hope they don't lose their way with the next generation Viper, under Fiat's umbrella.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Proving that the folks at SRT really are "car guys", building a "car guys" car for "car guys".

Let's just hope they don't lose their way with the next generation Viper, under Fiat's umbrella.

you never know- but i dont think so- fiat knows srt is a asset i would think.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Each race will be a battle among the suspension tune, tire selection, air pressure and who is the best driver

I highly doubt that it will come down as you described. The CC in NARRA is a spec series also. Tires are Dictated, tire selection will be a non factor. Remember in this new series money will be on the line so it will make for great racing....Lots of bumping, banging, wrecks, no more gentlemans racing.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has been wicked FASSST Kuno turned a 208.692 yesterday compare that with Sonny Whelens 212.639 in a full blown World Challenge Corvette. Pretty impressive for a factory built race car.
I'm sure the ACR X air intake hasn't been reduced to sucking thru a milk shake straw yet either! To run in any other series I'm sure it will be slowed down so even the Volvo's can whip it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Each race will be a battle among the suspension tune, tire selection, air pressure and who is the best driver

I highly doubt that it will come down as you described. The CC in NARRA is a spec series also. Tires are Dictated, tire selection will be a non factor. Remember in this new series money will be on the line so it will make for great racing....Lots of bumping, banging, wrecks, no more gentlemans racing.

Please clarify. Other than the tire issue, you seem to be agreeing with me.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure the ACR X air intake hasn't been reduced to sucking thru a milk shake straw yet either! To run in any other series I'm sure it will be slowed down so even the Volvo's can whip it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So true and all the more reason to support the ACR-X Cup Series.

VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have good information on how the ACR-X Cup Series is coming together?

How many ACR-Xs have they sold and who has bought them?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang