Honest feedback on this wing choice

eaks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been considering putting an acr style wing on the back of my mamba srt10. While bored on marketplace I came across this wing at what I think was an amazing deal.. I just set it on my car to see if I like it. It is adjustable so I would likely shorten it a couple inches and adjust the pitch once its fully mounted..

I just want to get some feedback from the group before I make a final decision and drill my trunk lid to mount this crazy thing. I know it's my car and to each his own I do love the look of the spoiler but just not 100% sure if it works with the convertible and hard to picture it in its fully installed and adjusted position (to lower I will need to drill some additional holes and likely trim the end plates).

I appreciate all feedback and just hoping some other perspectives will help me decide to try this out or get something else.

The wing is 72" wide (I believe the stock acr wing is about 70" wide). I have a roll of rags supporting the middle of the spoiler so it didn't fall back so the angle isn't really close to what it will be like when installed.

Also car is currently stock but this fall/winter it will have a Paxton kit installed and aiming for about 650whp when all said and done.

Attachments

• PXL_20240510_213716128.jpg
    PXL_20240510_213716128.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 73
  • PXL_20240510_213701851.jpg
    PXL_20240510_213701851.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 66
  • PXL_20240510_213656026.jpg
    PXL_20240510_213656026.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 68
  • PXL_20240510_213621439.jpg
    PXL_20240510_213621439.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 67
  • PXL_20240510_213612647.jpg
    PXL_20240510_213612647.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 70

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't want to sound like a d*ck, but if you're asking for honest opinions, from the photos it looks to me like it was made in a high school shop class or a generic wing out of a JC Whitney catalog.....and it just looks too big for the car to me. I'm a little biased too because I've always believed Viper convertibles look really good with no wing or spoiler...IMO, one of the best looking convertibles ever made (along with the car sitting on top of your lift). :)

Also something to consider is you're really going to upset the aero and suspension on the car if you'll be doing anything north of just cruising around or doing legal highway speeds, especially without functional aero at the front of the car and changing the suspension up.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Im a huge wing fan, but im gonna say No.

That doesnt compliment the lines of the convertible
or stock suspension - gives me the feel of a FnF
leftover part, or Keystone Special than a serious
performance enhancement.

Sorry.

OP
OP
E

eaks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback from you two.. One of my worries (with any non stock) wing was going to be when doing any top speed or high speed runs.. Oems spend a lot of time and money on engineering and wind tunnel testing for their spoilers. I would remove the wing or at least the blade when doing any big high speed runs.. Even when I saw other spoilers on the verts I wasn't sure how they flowed with the rear ends and how I felt abiut it.. Why I didn't order one online. Really I think I would need to see one in person before justifying the cost of an oem or true and tested wing. But at the price I paid I figure worst case it becomes wall art haha.. I'll do some more setup and mock up over the weekend and see how I feel..

To me even the acr wing looks a bit out of place and too large for the viper coupe.. And with the vert it is a bit more out of place.

Keep the feedback coming

BoondocSaint

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't do much for me either. The shape looks out of place, mismatched to the rest of the car. Big wings on Vipers have always been a complete functional aero package or nothing for me, so my opinion has some built in bias.

OP
OP
E

eaks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hah keep it coming guys.. More I think the more it's most likely to become wall art.. Although if that's the case I may just modify the end plates and risers to drop it down and tone it down a bit more. Might play around if weather isn't great this weekend. If the weather is good I'll be on the road tho

Badsnek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback from you two.. One of my worries (with any non stock) wing was going to be when doing any top speed or high speed runs.. Oems spend a lot of time and money on engineering and wind tunnel testing for their spoilers. I would remove the wing or at least the blade when doing any big high speed runs.. Even when I saw other spoilers on the verts I wasn't sure how they flowed with the rear ends and how I felt abiut it.. Why I didn't order one online. Really I think I would need to see one in person before justifying the cost of an oem or true and tested wing. But at the price I paid I figure worst case it becomes wall art haha.. I'll do some more setup and mock up over the weekend and see how I feel..

To me even the acr wing looks a bit out of place and too large for the viper coupe.. And with the vert it is a bit more out of place.

Keep the feedback coming
Just an FYI Mark Taylor in Georgia makes exact copies of the ACR vert wings. Not only do they look fantastic on the verts, but they are functional. He also makes the acr front splitter. I will say they aren’t cheap. But if you’re going to do it, that’s the right way to do it.

I had Mark repair my oem acr front splitter and he did an amazing job. A lot of guys buy wings and splitters off of him for their vipers. If you need more info feel free to reach out and I’ll send you his info.

Attached are some photos of some wings and splitters from Mark Taylor and then an example of an acr vert wing.
You must be registered for see images attach

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Aside from whatever "look" that you ultimately choose, the point made by SA Heat concerning balanced aero, the appropriate spring/shock combo, and handling is a REAL ISSUE at speed.

As I recall, when the 2010 ACR Convertible was tested in the wind tunnel with the standard ACR wing, "it flew". Thus, the production ACR Convertible has a wing that is a bit different and mounted lower.

pokeyl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aside from whatever "look" that you ultimately choose, the point made by SA Heat concerning balanced aero, the appropriate spring/shock combo, and handling is a REAL ISSUE at speed.

As I recall, when the 2010 ACR Convertible was tested in the wind tunnel with the standard ACR wing, "it flew". Thus, the production ACR Convertible has a wing that is a bit different and mounted lower.
I did it all and love it!!! At 80 MPH you can feel 400 pounds of downforce.

OP
OP
E

eaks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya I've decided for the time being that I'm going to hold off.. And I'll put this in my man cave or something.. I may come back to this but will wait till I start to use the Paxton setup and see If I am doing a lot of high speed runs.. I don't want to drill the trunk and end up pulling jt later..

Badsnek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya I've decided for the time being that I'm going to hold off.. And I'll put this in my man cave or something.. I may come back to this but will wait till I start to use the Paxton setup and see If I am doing a lot of high speed runs.. I don't want to drill the trunk and end up pulling jt later..
I know I regularly find myself in the 140-150 range in my Paxton car just rowing gears ‍

Not sure how your driving habits are

Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The wing itself doesn't look all that bad to me until I saw it from the rear. Seems like it has too much curve up on either side. I think the end plates are just too big as well and seem to mess with the visual balance. It's reminds me of a time attack car since a lot of times those have really exaggerated aero due to the lower speeds they see. It's not awful, but I don't think it works on its own that much.

BoondocSaint

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wing itself doesn't look all that bad to me until I saw it from the rear. Seems like it has too much curve up on either side. I think the end plates are just too big as well and seem to mess with the visual balance. It's reminds me of a time attack car since a lot of times those have really exaggerated aero due to the lower speeds they see. It's not awful, but I don't think it works on its own that much.
Good observation, I had something in my head I couldn't place. It looks like a time attack car wing.

OP
OP
E

eaks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does have a pretty large angle on the wing but this is quite exaggerated in the photos do to the roll of rags holding it up (the rear would sit an inch or 2 lower when mounted to the car). Like I said I am going to put this on the back burner for the time being. I may modify and mock it up again but will not mount it to the trunk until I get the Paxton kit on and see what my driving is like with that. If I find I am doing a lot of high MPH driving I will not mount the wing. If I dont find myself doing a lot of highway pulls (in mexico or track events) then maybe I will give it a try. We will see.

Biggest thing would be to get a mock up with it modified lower and cutting the end plates down and get it mocked up and see if I love the look. If I do I may run it but we will see.

B4D4SS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be concerned with that much force, at speed, on the trunk lid. The wing needs to be part of the chassis, not the body alone.

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oaks, if you are still looking for alternatives, I have an upgraded Competition Coupe rear wing available. This is the improved version that came out in the aero upgrade kit in 2005. If you are interested call me at 402 657 5613 or [email protected]. Most of the feedback here is helping you, be mindful of the guys explaining you need to balance the car, ie downforce on both ends equally, front splitter etc.

gregrowell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard Pass. (Sorry, candid feedback.) I've never been a fan of the Wings.......unless on a track-based car (ACR) OR you spend a lot of time on the track. Seriously, it just reminds me of the 'ricer crowd' / fast and furious. That said, looks pretty good on the track. Somewhat strange in city / on the street.

It is a free country. I'm sure you will get strong opinions on both sides. It's YOUR VIPER--do what YOU want to do! To me, I see your car as another Viper on the road. The last of the AMERICAN, hand-built V-10s. The hey day of ICE. Now, I see tesla's and cybertrucks.... I LOVE running into them on the street. B/C usually, they dislike our 'crowd' :)

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They made a specific set up for a handful of ACR Convertibles. The rear wing was not tall at all. On a performance car like this get the correct parts or leave it alone! If you ever get the chance to run this car up to 140 mph or so you will feel the downforce that is already inherent in the design, as is.

BlackVenom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like others have said, it does not look right on your car. The wing in post #9 looks much better.

Greg114

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a fan, that wing doesnt fit the lines of your car and its insanely big. I put the ducktail spoiler on my convertible and its all the rear wing a convertible should have, imho.

Attachments

• 20230721_174530.jpg
    20230721_174530.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 11

pokeyl

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I did it all and love the handling,

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
www.VIPERWERKS.com is just a 3 hour drive north of you and they make ACR wings for your car
Is this the old Vipair? Some of those parts look familiar. I see under contact there is a Steve. If this is Steve Prescott then hard pass on dealing with them. Bought from him once and it was a terrible experience. Six months to get a hood and when it finally showed up it was wrong. Never again.

Back on topic, op that wing, imho, looks horrible.