Hood spring replacement

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible to replace the hood springs/hinges without having to replace the hood itself? My hood is difficult to open with one just one person and it sometimes won't stay open. I took a look at an FE GTS and the hood almost opens itself. If it is possible, how much would it cost and how difficult would it be to align? Anyone out there done this before?

Thanks in advance,
Frank

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my hood springs replaced under warranty, its a known problem.

I got a viper mate who is a mechanic to fit them rather than getting the dealership to do it, easy really and doesn't take to long, maybe worth marking the position of the springs before you take them off

You need 2 people, one to hold/support the hood while the other swaps the springs over

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I changed my hood springs. The hood not staying up was too much of a nuisance on such a fabulous car. Some people on this forum told me I shouldn't have oiled them, but that was all hogwash as the new hinges come oiled. The springs were just tired. The job was pretty straightforward, four bolts. I don't remember the price, but why don't you call your dealer's parts department? While you're at it, ask about the (year specific) sevice manual aswell if you're planning to do your own work.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the oiling of the hinges is not hogwash, though it should be.

I've replaced my hood springs myself 3 times and let me assure you, it did no good. Then brought it in under warranty and again, no improvement. The springs are not up to the task and the oiling of the entire hinge (not just the section you replace) is what precipitates the problem. Not to say the springs can't weaken, just that it's not the primary cause in this weak design.

They can be replaced very easily solo without hood removal. Just remove the airbox first to gain access.

$60 ~ $80 per side depending on your source.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After repeated dousings with Gumout, I'm happy to say my hood hinge springs (I'd previously oiled) are once again are holding the hood up just fine.

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks all! It doesn't sound too bad after all. I'll try using the Gumout first, and if that doesn't work, I'll pony up the cash for new ones.

Frank

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mention that the replacement of hood springs are $60-$80 per side - are these for the springs or the hood assembly?

Thanks,

A

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger