How difficult is it to remove instrument pod trim?

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the steering wheel have to come off to remove this piece? I can see the console and radio trim pieces have to come off but what else is involved?

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About 98% of the dash can come out *WITHOUT* having to remove the steering wheel.

Keep track of the screws/bolts and where they go; there are a bunch of them. :)
Take photos with your cell phone prior to removal.

You'll need:
- 5mm allen wrench
- T-20 Torx (or T-15....I don't remember off the top of my head)
- #2 Phillips head screw driver
- 5/8" and 11/16" combination wrenches (for removing shifter)
- Plastic "trim stick". DO NOT use a flat blade screw driver!

Be sure to pull the NEG. battery cable and let the car sit for 2 minutes while the air bag caps discharge.
Then you can start taking stuff apart. :)

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
It can be a little finnicky, but you can get it out without having to remove the steering wheel or the center console between the seats. Pretty sure you have to drop the column though (two bolts holding it up to dash) to get clearance to pull the piece out. Pulling everything out helps to make things easier to wiggle out, but it's not totally necessary. I pulled most of it the first time I did my dash lights, but when I didn't like the color and wanted to change to something else I tried removing as few pieces as possible.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just have to drop the column...I also removed the seat to give me more room to work. The steering wheel can stay attached to the column.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removing the two bolts to 'drop' the column isn't necessary.
But tilting the wheel all the way down is.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great info right here. Why disconnect the battery though?
About 98% of the dash can come out *WITHOUT* having to remove the steering wheel.

Keep track of the screws/bolts and where they go; there are a bunch of them. :)
Take photos with your cell phone prior to removal.

You'll need:
- 5mm allen wrench
- T-20 Torx (or T-15....I don't remember off the top of my head)
- #2 Phillips head screw driver
- 5/8" and 11/16" combination wrenches (for removing shifter)
- Plastic "trim stick". DO NOT use a flat blade screw driver!

Be sure to pull the NEG. battery cable and let the car sit for 2 minutes while the air bag caps discharge.
Then you can start taking stuff apart. :)

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is great info guys. I want to do the hydro interior trim and just wanted to make sure that nothing else like steering wheel or side pillar trim have to come out. I am talking about doing the instrument cluster surround plus the two console trim pieces.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removing the two bolts to 'drop' the column isn't necessary.
But tilting the wheel all the way down is.

You may not have to, but it makes it a lot easier to work in that area, and is only two bolts.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Safety first.

(I left my battery connected)
Then maybe I can be careful as well. I do not think I want to deal with the possible headaches resulting from disconnecting the battery...

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not the end of the world if you don't...I've never heard of anyone accidentally setting off the airbags, but you never know, and it would **** to have happen. Now, if I was pulling the wheel, I'd probably disconnect it, but since I was installing LEDs when I installed mine, it was going to have to be connected in order to check everything before reassembly anyway.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not the end of the world if you don't...I've never heard of anyone accidentally setting off the airbags, but you never know, and it would **** to have happen. Now, if I was pulling the wheel, I'd probably disconnect it, but since I was installing LEDs when I installed mine, it was going to have to be connected in order to check everything before reassembly anyway.
I see. This is why I wanted to make sure the wheel does not have to come off...:2tu:

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great info right here. Why disconnect the battery though?
As per above.
While it is rare for an airbag to deploy unintentionally, remember: those are small, controlled BOMBS.

Do you really want to be "that guy"?
Me neither.
:D

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As per above.
While it is rare for an airbag to deploy unintentionally, remember: those are small, controlled BOMBS.

Do you really want to be "that guy"?
Me neither.
:D

You could insert a few YouTube videos here to drive this point home and have a few chuckles while you're at it :)

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very easy, just yake your time. you dont have to drop anything. Ive done this about four times. I used to have it down to a science, but its been a while.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually look at the replacement part when doing this stuff not to mess anything up but just wanted to make sure the steering wheel does not have to come off. Sounds like I can proceed with my plan:2tu:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32